PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting psyched up to load my first 4x5 films, soon.

Vick Ko
12-Dec-2012, 10:10
Okay, I have to admit, as a newbie LF user (as opposed to long time LF owner, I've had a Linhof Technika for ages), this is all a new learning experience.

I'm getting psyched up to load my first 4x5 films, soon.

I've always used Readyloads before. But no more.

I feel like I'm rediscovering an ancient art - cleaning film holders, learning how to load a Nikor 4x5 tank, seeing how to adjust the reel, fill the tank, hold it for agitation. And then, reading about agitation techniques.

Cleaning and dusting film holders is a big surprise. So much dust in the nooks and crannies of a holder. And all this can get on the film? I'm thinking I'm not going to use a changing bag to load film. Way too likely to get dust. Probably will black out my basement after sunset and work spaciously on a bench.

Oh, digital is so simple. Point, shoot and download. Press "Print" for prints.

....Vick

BrianShaw
12-Dec-2012, 10:14
Good for you. Enjoy. I have not noticed a significant issue with dust by using a changing bag... which is how I always load holders.

John Kasaian
12-Dec-2012, 10:43
I find a little shop vac with the micro cleaning attachments kit and dedicated to my camera & holders is the best for search & destroy dust missions. These are usually on sale at the big box outfits this time of year.
Have fun!

Richard Wasserman
12-Dec-2012, 14:00
+1 for the mini shop vac. And I store all my holders in plastic ziplock bags

I find a little shop vac with the micro cleaning attachments kit and dedicated to my camera & holders is the best for search & destroy dust missions. These are usually on sale at the big box outfits this time of year.
Have fun!

Rafal Lukawiecki
12-Dec-2012, 14:47
When I travel, I bring my Harrison Pup Tent (http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/harrison-pup-tent.html) for loading holders. I have found to have less dust when I use it than when I load in a motel room or a bathroom. I am not sure why, my theory is that there is more humidity in that micro–tent than in the room, in dry climates, but I really don't know.

My 3p: engineers vac, like those used by printer/xerox servicemen, are great, as they don't blow dust out, but be careful where you put them, as you may have dust in the room that will start billowing. Try whacking the holders with a stick just a little to dislodge stubborn dust from the light-trap. Also, don't forget to vacuum your camera bellows.

There are a good few threads how to cope with dust here and on APUG, look up some by Doremus Scudder, he has a very detailed procedure for dust prevention, and he seems to take it personally.

Brian Ellis
12-Dec-2012, 18:45
Oh, digital is so simple . . . press "Print" for prints. . . . ....Vick

LOL. If you only knew. : - )

Good luck. I've owned two Technikas, my favorite 4x5 camera. You really had one just sitting around for a long time but didn't use it?

Darin Boville
12-Dec-2012, 20:04
Are you printing with an enlarger or are you scanning the negs? With a "soft light" enlarger slight source I rarely had an issue with dust. With scanning all the dust jumps out at you in a horrifying sort of way. Probably could ignore most of it in real life but you'll always know it is there. :)

--Darin

Vick Ko
12-Dec-2012, 20:37
I hope to be enlarging with a Durst L1200 with CLS501 head. Does that qualify as "soft light?"

Vick

Lenny Eiger
13-Dec-2012, 15:13
Are you printing with an enlarger or are you scanning the negs? With a "soft light" enlarger slight source I rarely had an issue with dust. With scanning all the dust jumps out at you in a horrifying sort of way. Probably could ignore most of it in real life but you'll always know it is there. :)

--Darin

Weird. Are you talking about scanning dry?

Lenny

Brian Ellis
13-Dec-2012, 15:41
I hope to be enlarging with a Durst L1200 with CLS501 head. Does that qualify as "soft light?"

Vick

That's a color head so yes, it's presumably what he meant by "soft light."