PDA

View Full Version : "More Finely Focused" is Available!

Bruce Barlow
11-Dec-2012, 12:40
“More Finely Focused” will help you compose and make better photographs. Based on Bruce Barlow’s (that’s me) highly successful “Composition Intensive” workshop at Peters Valley Craft Center in August, 2012, I have packaged the workshop material and exercises into a new book, and added more.

“More Finely Focused” is a 183-page pdf download, full of color and black and white illustrations.

Find it at bwbarlow.wordpress.com (http://www.bwbarlow.wordpress.com).

“More Finely Focused” applies to any camera, any format, traditional film, or digital imaging. It is about making pictures, rather than the technology. I believe that it is more important to know where to stand, where to aim the camera, and how to compose the photograph, than to understand the deepest depths of Photoshop.

57 exercises lead you through building up what I call the quiver of compositional tools, enabling you to more frequently get the emotional content into pictures that separate the admirable from the wonderful.

“More Finely Focused” includes some material from “Finely Focused: Mechanics and Creativity for Large Format Photography.” This is a new book, however, with a new emphasis, and mostly new material. Owners of “Finely Focused” will benefit from the new book. It is a good idea to own both.

“More Finely Focused” is a bargain at only $9.95. Similar E-Books cost $30 to $40. I would rather see it in the hands of more photographers, helping them make more satisfying images, and so I haves priced “More Finely Focused” to be affordable to almost all image-makers.

Thanks for looking.

BB

Ed Bray
11-Dec-2012, 13:46
I'm enjoying reading 'Finely Focused' at the moment, so I've just bought 'More Finely Focused'

welly
11-Dec-2012, 19:27
Cheers Bruce, I've just picked up both these. Look great!

Darin Boville
11-Dec-2012, 19:57
There's an excerpt, a table of contents, etc on Bruce's page. Here the direct link (http://bwbarlow.wordpress.com/new-book/).

--Darinb

cosmicexplosion
12-Dec-2012, 01:13
Hi Bruce
That Wordpress link went to a story about a hip replacement or suchness and thusness.

Leigh
12-Dec-2012, 01:32
Bruce,

How do I get it without using paypill. I don't (and won't) use that service.

- Leigh

Steve Smith
12-Dec-2012, 03:00

Not even as a guest via a credit card?

Steve.

Leigh
12-Dec-2012, 03:05
No way Jose.

welly
12-Dec-2012, 04:22
No way Jose.

How come, out of interest? Surely it'd be no different to buying online with any other payment processor?

algarzai
12-Dec-2012, 05:56
I have just purchased it. can i print it for reading and archiving?

Steve Smith
12-Dec-2012, 06:51
I have just purchased it. can i print it for reading and archiving?

I would.

Steve.

Bruce Barlow
12-Dec-2012, 15:04
Uh, that's a challenge, avoiding Paypill. Send me a PM. = BB

Bruce Barlow
12-Dec-2012, 15:07
As far as printing, you bought it, you own it. I don't even have a hard copy of my first book!! Enjoy.

The Wordpress site has tabs at the top, one of which is labeled More Finely Focused Is Available, or some such. Click on it, and voila! The hip replacement is 3 weeks old, and the blog is how I keep friends informed.

kevin4x5
12-Dec-2012, 17:58
I have just started to read the book. I have read Bruce's first book and that was more for film cameras and darkrooms. This book is for any one that uses a camera be it film or digital. The exercise's in this book will make you a better photographer. Bruce, Bravo!! Great book I can't wait to finish it and start doing all the exercise's. I now have my camera with me.. My digital camera. What I learn with this camera I will put to use with my film camera's. I can't wait to see what my prints look like in a month or two.

Bruce Barlow
13-Dec-2012, 09:33
The response has been gratifying! Thanks, everyone!

Bruce Barlow
18-Dec-2012, 06:06
Get your copy of "More Finely Focused" before the world ends Friday. Maybe I should have an End of the World Sale?

www.bwbarlow.wordpress.com.

It's a bummer that the Mayans are screwing up my birthday on Sunday. I'd hoped to be here for it.

"Finely Focused" is available, too. Read both while experiencing the Rapture.

With tongue in cheek,

BB

photobymike
18-Dec-2012, 06:29
mmmmm Rapture Airlines ... the only Airline that picks you up when its time........ bruce how about a sample or a taste to see what its about.... just sayin it could be worth it or a waste of time... oh by the way happy birthday if we are not here sunday.....

davidmarinero
19-Dec-2012, 01:00
I've bought both books. I will start with More Finely Focused and its exercises, since the creative process is the part that interests me the most. I won't have time to do them all before the World ends on Friday, but it'll be fun!

Kevin J. Kolosky
21-Dec-2012, 15:20
free bump

Bruce Barlow
27-Dec-2012, 14:18
mmmmm Rapture Airlines ... the only Airline that picks you up when its time........ bruce how about a sample or a taste to see what its about.... just sayin it could be worth it or a waste of time... oh by the way happy birthday if we are not here sunday.....

There are a couple samples and the Table of Contents on the web site where it's for sale, to give you a taste.

Can't give you a taste of the Rapture, since I don't think it happened. The Universe tastes like raspberries, you know. Scientists have found large quantities of Ethyl Formate in the center of the galaxy. That's the chemical that makes raspberries taste like raspberries.

Cheers!

Bruce Barlow
11-Jan-2013, 10:32
Well, since we escaped the Rapture, getcher copy of "More Finely Focused," and enjoy our second chance A bargain at $9.95 downloaded.

knjkrock
14-May-2020, 14:22
Anyone with suggestions on how to get a copy of “Finely Focused” and “More Finely Focused”? Upon reviewing Mr. Barlow’s Wordpress site he had stopped distributing it. I respect that and understand his reasoning but still thought I would ask.

Ken

peter schrager
14-May-2020, 22:14
Bruce died last year; you might reach out to Richard Ritter for an answer to your question

Jim Noel
15-May-2020, 09:32
No way Jose.

If there is no other method of payment, I am not interested. Once burned by P--pal is enough for me.

Joshua Dunn
15-May-2020, 11:14
If anyone has a copy of these I would be interested. I would like to share them with my students. PM me if you are willing to sell me a copy.

-Joshua

RichardRitter
16-May-2020, 05:33
Bruce gave me a sleeve of “Finely Focused” CD to hand out at workshops. He did this because a lot of the exercises in the book were ones I did and we used when we taught workshops together. The book started as a workshop hand out and slowly grew from there. The workshop book was 27 pages. Bruce then decided to expand the book which was around 100 pages. As life went on he worked on the book and it was expanded to over 300 pages with photos added. When he handed me the sleeve of CD’s he stated he did something he swore he would never do. He wrote the “More Finely Focused” this book is only 150 pages and it more geared towards digital and has a section on color in it. So here I sit with all these “Finely Focused” CD’s that were to be used as hand out at workshops as to Bruce’s wishes, can’t do it due to the current state of the world.

This month a year ago Bruce ask that I come to Maine and take apart his darkroom and round up his photo equipment and bring it back to Vermont to be donated to The Vermont Center of Photography. I was to travel up the Maine with another friend of Bruce’s and meet up with third friend and we would go see Bruce. This was to happen in June. It never happened Bruce got up from his desk one day and fell over dead. The equipment was never donated to Vermont Center of Photography.

When I saw the reposting of this post I knew that two of Bruce’s dying wished were not met. The first was to get the book “Finely Focused” into the hands of photographers; the second was the donation to Vermont Center of Photography. As a way of making both of his wishes happen I will send a copy of “Finely Focused” Or “More Finely Focused” to anyone that wants one. I only have a limited supply of the “More Finely Focused” Cds. All I ask is that you send a check to me written out to the Vermont Center of Photography for a donation of $25 or more and I will send you a copy. No Pay Pal or Credit cards.

scheinfluger_77
16-May-2020, 05:39
Do we send the check to the mailing address on your website? And thank you for the offer.

RichardRitter
16-May-2020, 05:50
Yes and note which CD you want.

Bill Kumpf
16-May-2020, 14:50
Thanks Richard, Offering the CD's will continue Bruce's work in helping fellow photographers. I have both and still refer to them. Over the years, Bruce answer many of my “dumb” questions. His is missed.

Tin Can
23-Jun-2020, 04:31
Best first post ever!

Welcome...

Steve Goldstein
23-Jun-2020, 07:34

If you read back to post #26 you'll find the necessary information there.

Tin Can
24-Jul-2020, 09:54
A big thank you to Richard Ritter

as I forgot/lost my letter with check and didn't send it for a month

Just opened 'Finely Focused' CD by Bruce Barlow

no review, I only hope the CD can help me be a bit better at photography

read every post

we missed the rapture and into the frying pan

Rest in Peace Bruce and Leigh

see you soon

Exploring Large Format
28-Jul-2020, 08:56
This could be a VERY stupid question, but in reviewing "Finely Focused", I see this reference to the .1 ND filter for the film speed test. Was this filter supplied originally with the book? I am stumped on this. I can't seem to find any other way to get one.

But, thank you so much for making this available. I really enjoy Bruce's writing style and the content is opening up for me so much that was still foggy from other readings. As a beginner, I find his sweet spot of attending to the required science while constantly pursuing the artistic to be just where I'd like to land.

Appreciate your spreading the word. I plan to send you a check for "More Finely Focused" CD, assuming that one is still available?

Bruce gave me a sleeve of “Finely Focused” CD to hand out at workshops. He did this because a lot of the exercises in the book were ones I did and we used when we taught workshops together. The book started as a workshop hand out and slowly grew from there. The workshop book was 27 pages. Bruce then decided to expand the book which was around 100 pages. As life went on he worked on the book and it was expanded to over 300 pages with photos added. When he handed me the sleeve of CD’s he stated he did something he swore he would never do. He wrote the “More Finely Focused” this book is only 150 pages and it more geared towards digital and has a section on color in it. So here I sit with all these “Finely Focused” CD’s that were to be used as hand out at workshops as to Bruce’s wishes, can’t do it due to the current state of the world.

This month a year ago Bruce ask that I come to Maine and take apart his darkroom and round up his photo equipment and bring it back to Vermont to be donated to The Vermont Center of Photography. I was to travel up the Maine with another friend of Bruce’s and meet up with third friend and we would go see Bruce. This was to happen in June. It never happened Bruce got up from his desk one day and fell over dead. The equipment was never donated to Vermont Center of Photography.

When I saw the reposting of this post I knew that two of Bruce’s dying wished were not met. The first was to get the book “Finely Focused” into the hands of photographers; the second was the donation to Vermont Center of Photography. As a way of making both of his wishes happen I will send a copy of “Finely Focused” Or “More Finely Focused” to anyone that wants one. I only have a limited supply of the “More Finely Focused” Cds. All I ask is that you send a check to me written out to the Vermont Center of Photography for a donation of $25 or more and I will send you a copy. No Pay Pal or Credit cards.