PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Wista v metal Wista v Shen-Hao for stability

Roseanne
10-Dec-2012, 14:54
Hello,
I am finding my cherry wood Wista field camera a bit 'unsturdy' and am considering changing it for a more rigid field camera as I do alot of long exposures. The joints just dont seem rigid compared to a mono-rail. For ease of transport as most of my images are made on location I rather stick with a field camera.
Any guidance please?
Roseanne

lbenac
10-Dec-2012, 15:03
Not much guidance. I love my Wista 45DX for the ease of setup keeping a small lens mounted. The trade-off is limited rigidity. You might considering something like a Chamonix 45N2 instead specially consider the winds on the West Coast.

Sláinte to you and your Wista.

Noah A
10-Dec-2012, 15:08
The Wista metal field cameras are rock-solid. I used a VX and it was great for long-exposures. It also has a somewhat low profile which may help in the wind.

Can't speak for the woodies you mentioned, but in my very limited experience with wooden cameras, the ones I've used weren't nearly as rigid as a metal field camera.

vinny
10-Dec-2012, 15:09
shenhao makes several cameras, which one?

chamonix 45n-2 is better though.

Roseanne
10-Dec-2012, 15:32
I was looking at the SHEN HAO HZ 45AII.
Will have a look at the chamonix 45n-2.
Its a bit limited over here as to what is available 2nd hand without the international postage.
Thank you for your suggestions,
Roseanne

Lachlan 717
10-Dec-2012, 15:37
chamonix 45n-2 is better though.

No, it's not.

lbenac
10-Dec-2012, 15:58
No, it's not.

You should send me your Shen-hao 617 to compare with my Chamonix 45N2. After 3 months I will be sure :-)

IanG
10-Dec-2012, 16:07
I've had my Wista 45DX for 26 years and it's only recently that wear and tear means it's less rigid, it was second hand when I bought it. A strip down and rebuild and it will be almost as good as new.

It would be easy to buy a different wooden field camera but they'll all wear over time, I also have a Super Graphic which normally lives abroad but I brought it back tho the UK and I'll use it while I restore the Wista. The Wista has had hard use and I've no complaints.

Ian

lbenac
10-Dec-2012, 16:17
I've had my Wista 45DX for 26 years and it's only recently that wear and tear means it's less rigid, it was second hand when I bought it. A strip down and rebuild and it will be almost as good as new. The Wista has had hard use and I've no complaints.Ian

Hello Ian,

Are you doing the rebuilding yourself or are using a third-party?
I have left my Wista in France but I would love for it to receive some TLC and regain some of its former stiffness.

Cheers,

Luc

Ari
10-Dec-2012, 16:32
I love the metal Wistas, I use the RF.
You can't go wrong: tough, durable, solid, none of the play you sometimes get with wood cameras.
It is very precise, locks down tightly, and has all the features and movements you are likely to need in a field camera.

The only trade-off is that you are carrying a few extra pounds, but hey, it won't blow over easily or break if you drop it.

Lachlan 717
10-Dec-2012, 16:45
You should send me your Shen-hao 617 to compare with my Chamonix 45N2. After 3 months I will be sure :-)

Of course, I would need to chaperone it for those 3 months. Say, Autumn next year? I hear BC's pretty good around then!

lbenac
10-Dec-2012, 16:56
Of course, I would need to chaperone it for those 3 months. Say, Autumn next year? I hear BC's pretty good around then!

Yep if you are into hiking then September up to a little bit before mid-October is the best. Mid-Oct becomes iffy. One week-end I was in tee-shirt the next we had to turn back because of winter weather and snow.
I set-up for 6x12 making a trade for a Horseman roll film back.

Cheers,

Luc