PDA

View Full Version : New moderator - Rick Denney

Ralph Barker
10-Dec-2012, 07:54
Rick Denney (rdenney) has agreed to be a moderator. Welcome aboard, Rick.

bob carnie
10-Dec-2012, 07:55
Welcome Rick

bob who would never want the job of moderator.

IanG
10-Dec-2012, 07:58
It's good to see the widening of the pool of moderators. Welcome Rick.

How about some International moderators though not US based, one advantage is they would be from different time zones and have wider opinions as well there is a widely percieved bias.

Ian

rdenney
10-Dec-2012, 08:08
This will test the theory that a good moderator does not need to be a good photographer.

I hope my inclusion in the ranks of the moderators is an implementation of the recently expressed opinion that we simply need more moderators. I also hope that it does not mean that people should be afraid to argue with me. Words are the stock in trade of any forum, despite that they are imperfect tools for discussing photography. Only by debate do we test our ideas and form new ones, and for me such debate is intellectually exhilarating. It's why many of us are here. But it only works if we adhere to some simple principles of civil discourse, which are sufficiently outlined in the few rules that govern this forum.

I also hope that if I stray over the line myself, the other moderators will treat me like anyone else and zap my posterior.

Rick "trying to figure out what these new buttons mean" Denney

vinny
10-Dec-2012, 08:08
welcom rick, the new moderator denney.

BrianShaw
10-Dec-2012, 08:09
Welcome in your new role, Rick.

Preston
10-Dec-2012, 08:16
Welcome, Rick!

Your contributions to our forum are appreciated.

--P

Len Middleton
10-Dec-2012, 08:48
Welcome and congratulations on your new responsibilities.

Vaughn
10-Dec-2012, 08:55
Congrats, I think! :)

Sal Santamaura
10-Dec-2012, 08:56
I think Rick understands that his role as a moderator is to simply enforce the rules and not influence thread topics or content in any other way, although he's free to do that as a member. However, I wonder whether the vBulletin software will accommodate multi-paragraph explanatory notes when he deletes disallowed posts. :D

Sal "who is funnin' Rick, really thinks he's an excellent choice and thanks him for volunteering" Santamaura

ic-racer
10-Dec-2012, 08:56
Thanks for committing to spend the time to do it Rick!

jb7
10-Dec-2012, 09:03
Thanks for stepping up-
Ideally, you wouldn't have a lot to do at all, but since you have fine analytical and communication abilities, you're a good choice for the job, should the need ever arise.

The fact that you're the most often quoted member of the forum must have helped too...

Ed Bray
10-Dec-2012, 09:18
Good luck in your new role.

Bill Burk
10-Dec-2012, 09:20
Welcome aboard Rick!

Heroique
10-Dec-2012, 09:38
Thanks for the commitment, Rick!

It’s a privilege to have you keep our castle in order.

Dan Fromm
10-Dec-2012, 09:40
This will test the theory that a good moderator does not need to be a good photographer.

I hope my inclusion in the ranks of the moderators is an implementation of the recently expressed opinion that we simply need more moderators. I also hope that it does not mean that people should be afraid to argue with me. Words are the stock in trade of any forum, despite that they are imperfect tools for discussing photography. Only by debate do we test our ideas and form new ones, and for me such debate is intellectually exhilarating. It's why many of us are here. But it only works if we adhere to some simple principles of civil discourse, which are sufficiently outlined in the few rules that govern this forum.

I also hope that if I stray over the line myself, the other moderators will treat me like anyone else and zap my posterior.

Rick "trying to figure out what these new buttons mean" Denney

Rick, it isn't easy to argue with you. You insist on discussing.

rdenney
10-Dec-2012, 09:52
Thanks for stepping up-
Ideally, you wouldn't have a lot to do at all, but since you have fine analytical and communication abilities, you're a good choice for the job, should the need ever arise.

The fact that you're the most often quoted member of the forum must have helped too...

Quoting myself doesn't count, heh.

Rick "who'll have to please Sal and figure out how to be succinct" Denney

E. von Hoegh
10-Dec-2012, 10:01
Quoting myself doesn't count, heh.

Ten words or less.

Len Middleton
10-Dec-2012, 10:04

Review some of Kirk's to the point thread closing comments... :D

Kirk Gittings
10-Dec-2012, 10:18
"enough"......:)

Jim Jones
10-Dec-2012, 10:23
Rick's burden is our great fortune. Congratulations!

sanking
10-Dec-2012, 10:41
The congratulatory comments to the new moderator from forum members remind me of lines from a poem in Lewis Carroll’s "Through the Looking-Glass and what Alice Found There," said by the Walrus to the oysters as he was about to eat them.

"I weep for you," the Walrus said:
"I deeply sympathize."

Sandy

Peter Lewin
10-Dec-2012, 10:53
Congratulations and thanks in advance for your efforts, Rick "who is willing to go where others fear to tread!"

E. von Hoegh
10-Dec-2012, 10:57
"enough"......:)

Very succinct.:)

Ari
10-Dec-2012, 11:30
Best of luck, Rick; you're an excellent communicator, well-spoken, and have lots of tech savvy.
I think you'll do a great job.

Ari "glad it wasn't me" Tapiero

:)

Greg Miller
10-Dec-2012, 11:41
So tell us which forums Rick is moderating so we can start testing his limits ;)

E. von Hoegh
10-Dec-2012, 13:15
Will Rick be posting his home phone so we can discuss any issues personally? (smiling smiley)

Tony Evans
10-Dec-2012, 14:01
Thank you Rick for the sense and encouragment you have given me since starting in LF. I know it will continue even if a little "behind the scenes".

Brian C. Miller
10-Dec-2012, 14:08

Don't worry, all you need is a samurai sword, a guillotine, a barber shop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweeney_Todd), and twitchy fingers for the "delete" button!

Of course I jest, really, I do! ...

-- Brian "ducking, turtle-ing, looking like a ZZ Top refugee, and changing Rick's keyboard" Miller

Tim Meisburger
10-Dec-2012, 14:11
Thank you!

Steve Smith
10-Dec-2012, 14:42
Your contributions to our forum are appreciated.

Especially the last line of every post.

Steve.

Scott Walker
10-Dec-2012, 14:50
Excellent, congrats Rick

lbenac
10-Dec-2012, 14:55
Rick,
Glad to see that you do not shy away from some long reading....
Are you planning to implement a new rule that would make witty comment obligatory in everybody's signature?
If such is the case then I would have no choice than to plagiarize your old ones which I hope that we will still read in your posts.

Cheers,

Luc

David Karp
10-Dec-2012, 14:59
Thanks Rick.

Armin Seeholzer
10-Dec-2012, 15:39
Congrats Rick to your Sheriff Star:)

Mike Anderson
10-Dec-2012, 15:45
So tell us which forums Rick is moderating so we can start testing his limits ;)

Yes! Like children testing the substitute teacher, how far can we push him and get away with it! ;)

Seriously: thanks Rick for donating your time and energy to the cause.

Harley Goldman
10-Dec-2012, 16:03
Welcome aboard! Your time and effort is much appreciated!!!!

Rafal Lukawiecki
10-Dec-2012, 17:32
Thank you, "*", very much, indeed, for your support.

jnantz
10-Dec-2012, 18:41
good to hear the great news rick

john

rdenney
10-Dec-2012, 19:48
Will Rick be posting his home phone so we can discuss any issues personally? (smiling smiley)

Heh. Or should I say, not even funny.

Rick "um, no" Denney

rdenney
10-Dec-2012, 19:54
Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I'm printing this thread out in anticipation of the time I have to remind you guys of it.

For those who hope this will be the end of long-winded Rick, it probably won't. But I usually summarize in the first and last paragraphs. You can continue to ignore me. Okay, most of the time.

Rick "actually, humbled and honored" Denney

Leigh
10-Dec-2012, 19:59
Well done, Rick "I'm a mod now" Denney. :D

- Leigh

B.S.Kumar
10-Dec-2012, 20:13
Congratulations, Rick "who will need the patience of Job" Denney.

Kumar

Kirk Gittings
10-Dec-2012, 20:13
Rick "I'm a mod now" Denney.

- Leigh
He'll need the official Paisley shirt too for that moniker. :)

rdenney
10-Dec-2012, 20:37
He'll need the official Paisley shirt too for that moniker. :)

I think I have one around here somewhere.

But I'm reasonably sure it does not fit.

Rick "broad bod mod mod" Denney

Kirk Gittings
10-Dec-2012, 20:44
The Mod Squad.........

Oren Grad
10-Dec-2012, 20:55
Yay!

":)"

winterclock
10-Dec-2012, 21:09
Congratulations, Rick!

cosmicexplosion
10-Dec-2012, 23:22
Does that mean words in moderation ?

I doubt it. I foresee an enlivened spirit up all night taping out page after page.
I might wait for the book.
You definitely are a challenge in the intellectual argumentation department.

Andrew " ok you win" Nichols.

(but not without a fight). :)

dsphotog
11-Dec-2012, 00:23
Thanks Rick!

Ringo Starr was asked if he was a mod or a rocker, he replied "I'm a mocker!"

David "When I tell people I want to be a comedian, they just laugh at me." Silva

soeren
11-Dec-2012, 01:06
Con gratulations or thanks Rick "May the force be with you" Denney
Best regards
Søren "who don't get this statements in name thing" Nielsen

welly
11-Dec-2012, 01:54
The Mod Squad.........

Which one is Rick "He's a mod" Denney?

Struan Gray
11-Dec-2012, 03:29
Congrats Rick, and thanks.

civich
11-Dec-2012, 06:55
Well, I'll be damned ... civility is coming back! Congrats Rick.

-Chris "who believes the internymic sign-off best be left solely in the hands of it's current master, rdenney" Ivich

E. von Hoegh
11-Dec-2012, 07:50
Congratulations, Rick.

E. "moderation is good if you don't overdo it" von Hoegh.

Michael Graves
11-Dec-2012, 09:25
The Mod Squad.........

Please, Kirk. Tell me you don't actually OWN this collection. To think I held you in such high regard! I even own one of your books! How could you disappoint like that? Moderators, delete this thread. I contains materials of questionable taste.

Kirk Gittings
11-Dec-2012, 09:26
60's culture at its best :)

Michael Graves
11-Dec-2012, 09:29
60's culture at its best :)

No, the Stones doing You Can't Always Get What You Want, or the Strawberry Alarm Clock doing Incense and Peppermints...THOSE are 60's culture at its best. The Mod Squad is just...wrong...

Peter De Smidt
11-Dec-2012, 09:45
It's what I've expected for awhile: namely, that while Rick talks a good game, he's nuts!

Kirk Gittings
11-Dec-2012, 09:51
No, the Stones doing You Can't Always Get What You Want, or the Strawberry Alarm Clock doing Incense and Peppermints...THOSE are 60's culture at its best. The Mod Squad is just...wrong...

I saw both those shows and I can't believe you mentioned them in the same sentence!

E. von Hoegh
11-Dec-2012, 10:39
Where's Rick? Why is his light off? Is he in stealth mode?

brchambe
11-Dec-2012, 10:44
Congrats and thanks Rick for the effort on behalf of our little community.

Brian

rdenney
11-Dec-2012, 15:28
It's what I've expected for awhile: namely, that while Rick talks a good game, he's nuts!

I thought that was a basic requirement for membership.

Rick "who can show better evidence of insanity than this" Denney

cosmicexplosion
11-Dec-2012, 16:37
Your part of the system now man,.,

Down with the overlords

Free photography. !!!

Whos with me. I know a place in cyber space not far from here where we can set up camp and be free.

Cletus
11-Dec-2012, 18:06
Congrats Rick! - many thanks for taking on the responsibility. I'm sure you'll be regretting it before too long, but in the meantime, best wishes!

Cletus "Who's got more relevant Sinar advice from Rick than the rest of the Internet combined" :)

Jim Galli
11-Dec-2012, 18:21
The Mod Squad.........

Heartfelt condolences Rick. I tried it once upon a time, and it was a train wreck.

Jim (looking at Kirk's Mod Squad picture and wondering which one is Rick) Galli

rdenney
11-Dec-2012, 20:34
Your part of the system now man,.,

Down with the overlords

Free photography. !!!

Whos with me. I know a place in cyber space not far from here where we can set up camp and be free.

Okay, you can come back from dinner and see 15 emails reporting a guy trying to sell imitation iPads for cheap to the collected membership here.

I suspect that's the bulk of the mod job. I got three more reports while I was trying to figure out which buttons to push to make the spammer go away. The mods don't moderate; the members do.:)

Removing that sort of thing is what makes it possible for this forum to be free...to talk about large-format photography.

Rick "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" Denney

eddie
12-Dec-2012, 07:02

bwah ha ha ha!

NOW GET TO WORK DENNEY!

eddie "is off to start a political thread to earn more non-expirey points and to get ricks name on the 'deleted by rdenney....reason politics' thread closure" gunks

Steven Tribe
12-Dec-2012, 07:07
He's already proved his worth by moving a thread, with due efficiency, to the more appropriate section (DIY)!

Greg Lockrey
12-Dec-2012, 10:55
All of the above.... :) :)

rdenney
12-Dec-2012, 18:03
He's already proved his worth by moving a thread, with due efficiency, to the more appropriate section (DIY)!

I just happened to get to it first.

I proved my worth by banning a guy trying to sell imitation iPads, heh.

Rick "no tests, please" Denney

David A. Goldfarb
12-Dec-2012, 19:07
Catching the spam is most of the job.

Just wait, though, 'till someone calls you at home during dinner about a contentious thread about whether you really need to use a stop bath...

Good luck!

Rafal Lukawiecki
13-Dec-2012, 17:18
Just wait, though, 'till someone calls you at home during dinner about a contentious thread about whether you really need to use a stop bath...

I dream of the days when the world over is awash with problems just like that. And none other.

Kirk Gittings
13-Dec-2012, 17:32
He's not talking about the worlds problems. He is talking about a rude invasion of personal privacy. And we will solve that by banning offenders. There is nothing that happens on this forum that is so important that you have to call a volunteer moderator at home.

Sal Santamaura
14-Dec-2012, 09:32
...There is nothing that happens on this forum that is so important that you have to call a volunteer moderator at home.Or at work. :D

sanking
14-Dec-2012, 11:35
He's not talking about the worlds problems. He is talking about a rude invasion of personal privacy. And we will solve that by banning offenders. There is nothing that happens on this forum that is so important that you have to call a volunteer moderator at home.

Kirk,

Now that Rick Denney has assumed the role of new moderator, and it has been made clear that there will be stricter enforcement of the forum guidelines, and repeat offenders banned, all moves I applaud, it might be time for the tone of the moderators to become a bit more "warm and cuddly" and less threatening. Remember the words of one of the great imperial presidents of the US, Theodore Roosevelt, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." In dynamic social and political relationships the application of machiavellian principles is still highly efficient in promoting certain kinds of behaviors.

Sandy

Kirk Gittings
14-Dec-2012, 11:38
Thanks. Agreed-sorry. Once my back is up, it takes awhile to get back to normal.

sanking
14-Dec-2012, 12:38
Thanks. Agreed-sorry. Once my back is up, it takes awhile to get back to normal.

I am like that also.

BTW, I was concerned that my reference might be too political. Here is a more vernacular one, from the duet "Toby Keith did with Willie Nelson, "Beer for my Horses"

Sandy

"And justice is the one thing
You should always find
You gotta saddle up your boys
You gotta draw a hard line
When the gun smoke settles
We'll sing a victory tune
And we'll all meet back
At the local saloon

We'll raises up our glasses
Against evil forces
Singing, "Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses!"

Alan Gales
15-Dec-2012, 20:17
Congratulations to Rick "the moderator" Denny! The man with many middle names.

Alan Gales
15-Dec-2012, 20:18
Sorry Rick, I left out an "e". That's Denney, not Denny.

Photomagica
28-Dec-2012, 17:40
Rick,
I recently came upon your website while researching something about Kiev cameras. Several of the images really stuck with me, especially Juneau Waterfront and Salisbury Ceiling. I appreciate that you see with a "large format eye" even when working with a smaller format. Thank you for taking on the moderator role. This already great Forum will be better for your guidance.
Cheers,
Bill Peters

rdenney
30-Dec-2012, 21:00
Rick,
I recently came upon your website while researching something about Kiev cameras. Several of the images really stuck with me, especially Juneau Waterfront and Salisbury Ceiling. I appreciate that you see with a "large format eye" even when working with a smaller format. Thank you for taking on the moderator role. This already great Forum will be better for your guidance.
Cheers,
Bill Peters

Bill, thanks. Often, I feel as though my own skills are vastly overshadowed by many here, but I am encouraged when one or two of my images makes an impression on other photographers.

Rick "appreciative" Denney

lab black
4-Jan-2013, 20:25
Rick,
Anyone who knows the difference between an Eb and a Bb Tuba has got all it takes to do a great job. Congratulations.

rdenney
4-Jan-2013, 23:10
Rick,
Anyone who knows the difference between an Eb and a Bb Tuba has got all it takes to do a great job. Congratulations.

Thanks. I know the difference between those and C and F tubas, too. (Bb and F in my stable.)

But what those differences mean are the "digital versus film" arguments on the tuba forum, as can be confirmed by a couple of folks besides me who spend time here and there.

Rick "maybe you are one of them" Denney

lab black
6-Jan-2013, 01:38
Well..."One of them," would require an admission of aptitude and all I can acquiesce to, is that when my time comes and some unbalanced family member decides to make a video of my images for my service and put it to music, it will be somewhat unique to have large format landscape work set to "Tubby the Tuba."
Again,
Encouraged that you are on board and best wishes.

algarzai
9-Jan-2013, 15:27
Congratulations Rick...
it is a tough one :)

SpeedGraphicMan
16-Jan-2013, 12:59
Wow! Congrats and good luck to Rick Denney!

Ethan "You better not ban me" Ingram