PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a long lens

Bill, 70's military B&W
9-Dec-2012, 07:23
I have a beautiful Fuji 300, that I use on 4x5 and 8x10. I'm new at LF but in 35mm I always was drawn to long lenses.
Does anyone have any recommendations on a longer lens? It does not have to cover the 8x10, I plan on mostly using the 4x5.
Thanks,
Bill

MDR
9-Dec-2012, 08:23
Bill are we talking longer focal length or tele lens ? The schneider Kreuznach APO Tekle-Xenar 5.6/400 is not bad and covers 5x7. My personal favourite in the longer lens line up is the Fujinon C 12.5/450mm drawback of this lens is the lack of speed advantage of this lens lack of weight

Erik Larsen
9-Dec-2012, 09:13
If you have the bellows draw, the 19" red dot Artar or ronars of similar focal length are nice and are found in shutters not too pricey either.
Regards
Erik

Nathan Potter
9-Dec-2012, 09:15
I use a Nikon tele convertible, the ED 360, 500, 720. Covers 4X5 but not sure about 5X7. May not have quite the sharpness of the Fujinon 300 but makes up for it in very high contrast which is important in tele work.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

John O'Connell
9-Dec-2012, 09:46
Your profile lists a Shen Hao and a Sinar in 4x5. The Sinar gives you options: an extra bellows and a multifunction standard gets you a ton of extension. Since you can effectively go as long as you want with the Sinar with normal lenses, you should consider a Ronar or an Artar of 19" or 480mm. If you have the Sinar shutter all sorts of barrel lenses are options, too.

Personally, though, I greatly prefer telephotos in LF for the bellows advantage. I find them easier to work with, exit pupil factor and funny tilts notwithstanding.

As to length, I don't think I'd get a 400 if I already had a 300; I'd go for something longer.

Bill, 70's military B&W
9-Dec-2012, 20:36
Telephoto uses shorter bellows, right??? But they also have the 'node' at a different spot, other than in the center of the lens, right??? That means when you are using the movements that one small adjustment could lead to a whole lot of compensatory adjustments, right???

I've been advised to stick with long 'regular lenses' and avoid the specific telephotos. I have no personal experience, and am asking for other opinions and recommendations.

The Shen Hao, just barely can handle the Fuji 300. Does that mean that 300 is the max for the Shen Hao? What is the max for the Sinar F2 before I have to use a second bellows/standard?

A Calumet Altar 508mm was highly recom, it comes on an Ilex #5 shutter, sounds really large, and I know nothing about that Ilex shutter, is it a good/reliable design?
Erik is this the same lens you are talking about?

I definitely want to go longer than 400mm. MDR likes the Fuji 450, I'll have to look into that one, I like the small size/weight. My Fuji 300 is a beast, at least to me, it's the biggest one I've seen yet.

Any other recom from anyone? What is the dream long/tele lens for 4x5?

Thanks,
Bill

E. von Hoegh
10-Dec-2012, 08:09
It sounds like if you want a longer lens for your Shen-Hao, you are limited to a telephoto lens. A tophat lensboard might allow you to use a 360 at infinity. I don't know what bellows you have on your Sinar, so I cannot answer that question.

The Ilex shutter, if in good condition, is a very reliable shutter.

Len Middleton
10-Dec-2012, 13:39
Telephoto uses shorter bellows, right??? But they also have the 'node' at a different spot, other than in the center of the lens, right??? That means when you are using the movements that one small adjustment could lead to a whole lot of compensatory adjustments, right???

I've been advised to stick with long 'regular lenses' and avoid the specific telephotos. I have no personal experience, and am asking for other opinions and recommendations.

The Shen Hao, just barely can handle the Fuji 300. Does that mean that 300 is the max for the Shen Hao? What is the max for the Sinar F2 before I have to use a second bellows/standard?

I definitely want to go longer than 400mm. MDR likes the Fuji 450, I'll have to look into that one, I like the small size/weight. My Fuji 300 is a beast, at least to me, it's the biggest one I've seen yet.

Any other recom from anyone? What is the dream long/tele lens for 4x5?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

To put some real world numbers to this, on my 4x5 Technika with about 16" of bellows, my 355mm (14") Repro-Claron on a flat lensboard would focus no closer than about 10 feet. The Repro-Claron is a dialyte process lens design, not a telephoto design.

More bellows provides more options on lens length and how close you can focus. If however you are constrained now with a 300mm, then your options appear to be limited, as indicated by EvH above.

Hope that helps,

Len