PDA

View Full Version : Lensboard Fetish Fun!

John Kasaian
5-Apr-2004, 18:58
I was wondering if anyone else enjoys bringing ratty old lensboards back to life? Often I'll get an old 'dorff board that will come with a lens or shutter or a box of parts bought on e-bay. They'll be painted, pierced. badly drilled, cracked or otherwise abused. A little work with sandpaper and putty and the things shine like a new penny---very rewarding stuff. I just finished working on an old board that was covered with badly applied black wrinkle paint, I guess to fill a small crack---you should see the beautiful mahogany grain on that puppy! Its a little thing, but I get a big kick out of it---maybe its "almost instant gratuity" I've been craving, I suppose. Does anyone else have a lensboard fetish?

Geoffrey Swenson
5-Apr-2004, 19:37
It seems like we are more and more desperate for new subjects for discussion. Not that anything is wrong with having fun :-))

Capocheny
5-Apr-2004, 21:14
Hi John,

Good to hear that things such as the restoration of an old lensboard is sufficient to keep you smiling. I don't feel that way about lensboards (certain female movie stars perhaps, but not lensboards :>)) but there are numerous other "small" things in life that I do enjoy (fountainpens, pipes, and OLD Bordeaux wines) and get a charge out of.

Bottom line is... "if it makes you happy, why not? Life is too short!"

Cheers

Ralph Barker
6-Apr-2004, 09:12
I hope you use old sandpaper to do the restorations, John. New sandpaper just wouldn't seem appropriate. ;-)

Seriously, I like the idea of putting older objects back into use, where feasible. There's a certain elegance involved, and the investment of time and personal effort adds value to the use of the item.

But, if you actually use the restored boards, it's probably not a fetish. So, you probably don't need to worry too much (or, seek counseling) about that. ;-)

Jim Rhoades
6-Apr-2004, 11:27
John; I sure hope it's not sick, but I too restore old Dorff boards. I have some beauties with holes so big I don't know if I'll ever find a lens to fit them.

I also make them out of Baltic Birch modeling plywood with weird veneer faces. Years ago I got a box of 50 rare wood veneer samples. My 240 Schneider is mounted on one with a Bird's eye Maple center with Zebra wood edges. It is very, uh, distinctive. Mix and match lensboards are neat. At least it gives me something to do on long winter nights.

Eric Rose
6-Apr-2004, 14:07
I guess I'm a pagan. I just make my own boards out of thin plywood purchased from a hobby store. The finishing consists of a couple of coats of flat black paint.

Brian Ellis
6-Apr-2004, 20:18
Not lens boards but I enjoy doing the same thing with old film holders. A little sand paper, a little paint, a little tape, some cleaning and polishing of the metal at the top of some darkslides and they look great, work fine, and cost very little. I think it's nice to keep this old stuff in use, it kind of goes with the large format territory in the digital age.

jnantz
7-Apr-2004, 08:04
hi john

i am kind of like that too, but with falling plate cameras. gotta love sewing machine oil - works wonders on a gillotine shutter.

Jim Galli
7-Apr-2004, 08:54
John, my personal take is that I love putting old lens boards from junk boxes back on Ebay and at least getting a little of my money I foolishly spent returned to me by some other fool. Of course 'dorff boards find a home at my house but rarely get improved from how they arrived. So many lenses.......so few lens boards! Does anybody really need 5 8X10 cameras?? Where do I check into 8X10 anon?

John Kasaian
7-Apr-2004, 12:58
Jim, Was that your old 4x5 Nagaoaka with a Leitmeyer WA on e-bay recently? I kept looking at it, fantasizing about really useful such a light, compact 4x5 field camera could be. Then I thought about what it would be like trying to use a loupe with my big armenian nose in the way on that little gg---I came to the conclusion that 8x10 is the only sensible alternative for the nasally challenged (hmmm...maybe I ought to look into getting a spare: I only have two 8x10s right now---three if I count the 9x9 K-17!)

Jim Galli
7-Apr-2004, 16:20
Phooey! Who wants a 2 ¾ pound elegant camera when you can haul around an 18 pound beast with a ground glass like a small TV.

John Kasaian
7-Apr-2004, 17:27
Indeed! Why pay a gym for the pleasure of lifting wieghts while staring at a blank wall when you can lug around an 8x10 while watching the earth explode with the change of seasons!