PDA

View Full Version : Velvia 50 4x5 Quickload question

calamari
8-Dec-2012, 16:44
Hello LFers,

I've recently acquired a box of Velvia 50 Quickloads and the Graflex 45 quickloader. My camera is a Linhof kardan gt, but it doesnt seem to be able to fit on the back. (Graflex quickloader is too wide)

I do want to shoot the velvia film, so I thought about just ripping the package open (in complete dark of course), and manually loading them into my film loaders. Would that be possible?

Also, as shameful as this sounds, I do not own a meter yet (I've been using my DSLR as one), but the minimum ISO I can go down to is 100. Would I be able to meter with my DSLR at 100, then lose a stop on top to compensate as the 50?

Thank you in advance.

RawheaD
8-Dec-2012, 17:39
Measure @ 100, give it twice the exposure time.

If those are the only Quickloads you're going to shoot, then it's not worth buyin a holder for it; either borrow one, or, like you said, reload the film which is possible, I believe.

vinny
8-Dec-2012, 17:53
or look for a polaroid 545 holder.

Kuzano
8-Dec-2012, 18:42
The Fuji quickloads will fit in the Fuji Quickload holder, which you should be able to pick up on ebay used, or new from $75 to $100. Get the latest on you can. If that's not worth it to shoot 50 frame of Fuji with the benefits of the Quickload system, I don't know what is.

For less money, the Quickload envelopes will fit in the very last Kodak Readyload Pro, witht he big red button. It has notches for Graflex back and a spring pressure film plane. I bought a new on on eBay for $50. DO NOT buy any of the earlier Kodak Readyload backs... fraught with problems. The Pro was trouble free.

I still use my Kodak Readyload Pro back for quickload and readyload envelopes I pick up on eBay... fresh and expired. I'll probably give up 4X5 when I can no longer find packaged ql and rl film.

I can't imagine going back to another system... too much trouble. I'll just go back to 6X9.

Larry Gebhardt
8-Dec-2012, 19:20
You might be able to get a holder by placing a wanted ad here and on APUG. I bet there are many people with Quickload, ReadyLoad or Polaroid holders that would eb glad to unload them for not much money since you can't easily buy film for them. I would recommend the ReadyLoad with the red button as it will let you shoot either Kodak or Fuji film. I'm still using mine or I'd offer it to you for a song.

Kuzano
8-Dec-2012, 19:26
Here is a link to a buy it now on eBay. Seller is actually BadgerGraphic, so the source is above reproach for this board. This is in fact the holder designed by Fuji for their own Quickload envelopes. I would not use the polaroid holders. As I recall, they do not have a pressurized film platen. I would not use any Kodak except the Pro with the big red button. They had light leak problems before that.

I would go with this proprietary product.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuji-QuickLoad-Film-Holder-/140803788334?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item20c88f4e2e

If this listing disappears I would contact BadgerGraphics directly. They show they had 10 and still have 6 available on this listing

vinny
8-Dec-2012, 19:52
No, the polaroid 545's don't have pressure plates and can be had for the cost of shipping.. Yes, they do work fine with fuji quickloads. That's speaking from experience. The film stays flat, some say flatter than the quickload holder.

photobymike
8-Dec-2012, 20:32
I have a 4x5 polaroid holder .... free yes for free.... just paypal me the shipping and you own it......8.95 for priority shipping in US

Nathan Potter
8-Dec-2012, 21:50
I recently bought a Fuji Quickload holder from Badger, as Kuzano has suggested, (I needed to replace one I mangled in the field trying to remove a stuck clip). $39.95 and fast shipping. Outstanding place to buy.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Ernest Fasanya
13-Dec-2012, 11:32
Sorry to hijack, but I am down to my last 6 sheets of Astia Quickload. I haven't been able to find anywhere on the interweb to buy any more. Where does one get it (or Provia) these days? Do any retailers stock it, or do you just have to rely on the auction site?
Any advice gratefully received.

Drew Wiley
13-Dec-2012, 12:54
They are still some odds and ends of Quickload color film around, but usually either Velvia
or Tungsten. A Polaroid 545 holder works better than the official ones, but has some
unnecessary weight from the steel rollers inside, which can easily be removed if you take
care to block any screw holes from light entry afterwards.

Greg Miller
13-Dec-2012, 13:57
I have a Quickload and a Readyload Pro - both in nice shape and fully functional. You can have both for $30 plus shipping.