PDA

View Full Version : Is this the smallest Jamin Darlot cone they ever made?

alex from holland
8-Dec-2012, 15:08
I recently found a tiny Jamin Darlot cone.
it's only 11.4 cm tall.
Dated on the glass 1862
In very good shape and with original flange
Just wondering, is this the smallest cone they made?

http://upload.pbase.com/image/147756316/original.jpg

Fourtoes
8-Dec-2012, 15:23
blimey that is tiny....

goamules
8-Dec-2012, 15:33
Nice quarterplate (or 1/6th plate) lens Alex! I always say the small ones are sometimes as hard to find as the big ones because they got lost and thrown away easier. It's the smallest I've seen, but I've never seen a Jamin catalog, and I don't think the US imported Cone Centralizeteurs.

Steven Tribe
8-Dec-2012, 15:35
Are you hinting at the format it can used for!?
But nice confirmation about the continuing use of the "Jamin" name into the 1860's.

A little bird has told me that Cones, in spite of their exciting appearance, are not as useful as straightforward "Fast working" Darlots, Ross and Dallmeyer Petzvals.

renes
9-Dec-2012, 06:20
Alex, what focal lenght is this baby?

Emil Schildt
9-Dec-2012, 09:05
I have one similar.. slightly better condition (however the cone has been polished - should be black (?))

We always use film to give impression on size, so I decided to make another comparison....:rolleyes:

I have used this on 9x12 film with great results..

Steven Tribe
9-Dec-2012, 11:15
This is very naughty Emil. But you do have a reputation to keep up!
Now we have to ask if this is an A, B, or C size!

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Dec-2012, 11:17
I'm thinking B :)

Steven Tribe
9-Dec-2012, 11:21
I think, in retrospect, this is a dreadful idea - if our female contributors decide on another kind of comparison size in the picture.

Emil Schildt
9-Dec-2012, 12:01
I think, in retrospect, this is a dreadful idea - if our female contributors decide on another kind of comparison size in the picture.

you got a point there...:rolleyes:

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Dec-2012, 12:20
One would have to show their biggest cone...;)

Steven Tribe
9-Dec-2012, 12:51
The only excuse I can give for Emil is that this is a rack & pinion lens.

Emil Schildt
9-Dec-2012, 13:22
One would have to show their biggest cone...;)

he.

Can't do that I'm afraid, but as you now th esize of the small one you can guestimate the size of the large one...

alex from holland
10-Dec-2012, 07:44
I have one similar.. slightly better condition (however the cone has been polished - should be black (?))

We always use film to give impression on size, so I decided to make another comparison....:rolleyes:

I have used this on 9x12 film with great results..

The lens looks completely polished to me ?

here are the 3 i own. The middle one has a new made rack/pignon on it which is functional but does not has the autentic look.