PDA

View Full Version : Assignment in Morocco

Hollis
8-Dec-2012, 00:26
So, looks like I have some shooting to do in Morocco in January and would like to shoot this project on 4x5 but my biggest hesitation is not the weight or bulk - Ill have assistants but getting film into and out of country. Mainly, Im worried about passing through security and getting it hand checked. I travel with 120 all the time and never have a problem because it looks like film, they can swab the individual rolls and what not. Explaining that the heavy handed security folks can't open the film box (especially once shot and with no factory seal) scares the hell out of me.

Any recent experiences with that?

Any one?

Daniel Stone
8-Dec-2012, 00:48
Can you fedex it in/out of country? Spendy, but might be less hassle w/ airport security...

Dan

RawheaD
8-Dec-2012, 01:37
I had no issues whatsoever bringing in both 120 and 4x5 film & gear into Morocco when I visited in March.

OK, I *did* have to explain to them exactly what all my Grafmatics were and what my Aero Ektar was for, etc. etc. to the custom's agent, but all in all, it was a smooth pass through. I'm talking Casa Blanca, FYI.

r.e.
9-Dec-2012, 10:51
Not quite sure what this thread has to do with Morocco. You'll go through security screening at whatever airport you fly to Morocco from, not in Morocco, unless Morocco is now X-raying incoming baggage, which it wasn't doing two years ago, and which would surprise me.

RawheaD
9-Dec-2012, 11:18
The OP did say "getting into and out of the country". So one legitimate worry with security is on the way out of Morocco.

With that said, I know from personal experience that the Customs agent (or whoever they are, near the exit area of customs) can & will take interest and decide to inspect what you're bringing in to the country. My one experience of that went smooth without problems, but it is conceivable that you are asked to do stupid stuff like "Open that Grafmatic holder of yours so that I can actually see it's film inside there!"

r.e.
9-Dec-2012, 11:31
Well unless things have changed in the last two years, there will be no film check on the way in. On the way out, I am unaware of any complaints about film being adversely affected during screening, but of course there are many people who distrust any screening of film. If in doubt, just mail it.

I can say, as a matter of personal experience, that I shot 120 film in Morocco two years ago, that the film was X-rayed at Marrakesh airport on the way out of the country and that I had no problems with development.

andrew gardiner
9-Dec-2012, 12:04
Can you fedex it in/out of country? Spendy, but might be less hassle w/ airport security...

Surely Fed ex is subject to the same level of x rays as checked luggage?

r.e.
9-Dec-2012, 14:29
After years of discussion about the alleged effect of airport security machines on film, one has to wonder whether there is any end to his subject. Nobody that I know of, in about fifteen years, has ever had a problem.

Noah A
9-Dec-2012, 17:02
I've never been to Morocco, but I do lots of international travel and have recently been to shooting trips to Egypt, India, Mexico, Brazil, Peru, etc...

I always send my film through the carry-on x-ray machine. As long as I send it through (and NOT in lead bags), I've never had anyone request to open the boxes. I do print out labels in english and the languages of every country I'm passing through that say something like "Exposed photographic film, open only in complete darkness". I usually have my local translator/assistant translate the label for me ahead of time to make sure it's correct.

Also, when I'm working overseas (or on important local work), I shoot at least two sheets on each photo using the same holder. Then when I unload my holders, I put the duplicate sheets in separate boxes. That way if one box gets opened, lost or damaged I'll still have the backup sheets in the other box.

Have a great trip!

jnantz
9-Dec-2012, 17:53
hi hollis

never been to morocco but it sounds like fun !

if you have an empty film box you can offload your film into, and some clear tape
clear tape seal your boxes ( tape the seal you broke when you opened them.
just bring your film in your carry on, and have a good time. :)
i do that when i visit family in france, never have had trouble

good luck !
john

andrew gardiner
9-Dec-2012, 18:11
After years of discussion about the alleged effect of airport security machines on film, one has to wonder whether there is any end to his subject. Nobody that I know of, in about fifteen years, has ever had a problem.

Many many discussions I know,but always with a general consensus that taking it through hand luggage is way preferable to putting it through checked.

Hollis
9-Dec-2012, 21:40
I would never consider putting it in checked baggage - that is asking for problems. When coming back from Kenya a few years back it was either open the film boxes full of exposed film or send it through the scanner. I sent it through and about 1 in 4 sheets showed signs of fogging from the xray machine so, I wasn't too excited about that. Granted, they had just had civil unrest and lots of people died so, tensions were high and security screening was pretty tight. We'll just have to see what happens...

r.e.
10-Dec-2012, 10:54
Many many discussions I know,but always with a general consensus that taking it through hand luggage is way preferable to putting it through checked.

It's apples and oranges.

I'm not aware of anyone, ever, suggesting that film be packed in checked luggage.

I thought that we were talking about carry-on, where the reality, despite years and years of discussion, and leaving aside high speed film, is that there isn't a problem.

Meanwhile, Marrakesh (if that is where the original poster is leaving, if not entering) is a major European tourist destination, with a quite modern airport with what is, as far as I could see, quite modern equipment. I certainly had no problem with the colour and black and white film that I exposed in Morocco, and had developed on my return to North America.

After years and years of discussion about this stuff, I would have thought that the following are at this point givens:

1. Take film on carry-on rather than checking it;

2. For film slower than ASA 800, don't worry about taking it through carry-on security; and

3. If you are still freaked out about this issue after about 15 years of discussion, just mail it.

The people who are keeping this issue alive are people who don't have a whole lot of experience travelling by air and keep raising it month after month, year after year. Which is not to say that someone on a critical assignment might not choose to move his film around by mail.

andrew gardiner
10-Dec-2012, 12:31
If you are still freaked out about this issue after about 15 years of discussion, just mail it.

I was quite mildly making the point r.e. that if you do mail or fedex your film it just ends up in the hold of an aircraft and that surely means it is subjected to the very same xrays as all the other checked luggage. If that is the case mailing it isn't great advice.
It seems fairly logical to me but I might easily be wrong, please do let me know - it is precisely because I travel a great deal for my projects that I find, what is obviously for you a very tedious subject, actually quite interesting.

joelio
10-Dec-2012, 15:21
Hello all -

I live in Morocco and have flown in and out since arriving. Feel free to drop me an email with any questions re: Morocco. joeldowling (AT) gmail (DOT) com.

Where are you going to be? For how long? Welcome!

-Joel

Hollis
10-Dec-2012, 20:53
Heading to Moulay Idriss, probably fly in and out of Casablanca or maybe Fez. As to the comments before stating

'The people who are keeping this issue alive are people who don't have a whole lot of experience travelling by air and keep raising it month after month, year after year. Which is not to say that someone on a critical assignment might not choose to move his film around by mail. '

I would like to say that is a pretty brash thing to say unsubstantiated. Either you work for the TSA or well, I don't know. My passport has more ink in it than a tranny biker from North Florida so, I know a thing or two about international travel - just don't ever shoot 4x5 overseas much. In fact, I have a 17 hour flight on Wednesday followed by another dozen or so over the next month and that isnt even the Morocco trip.

As for film scanners, maybe you should buy this book...

http://www.photoeye.com/bookstore/citation.cfm?Catalog=ze812

Steven Tribe
11-Dec-2012, 02:43
I do understand and agree with all r.e.'s points.
The only hassle I have is big brass lenses in the same carry-on baggage. To escape multiple passes through the machine (sidewise, upside down etc.), I usually announce "big metal objects" and go straight to the "rummage through everything" bay. Removing shoes is much more tedious!

joelio
11-Dec-2012, 04:02
Heading to Moulay Idriss, probably fly in and out of Casablanca or maybe Fez. As to the comments before stating

'The people who are keeping this issue alive are people who don't have a whole lot of experience travelling by air and keep raising it month after month, year after year. Which is not to say that someone on a critical assignment might not choose to move his film around by mail. '

I would like to say that is a pretty brash thing to say unsubstantiated. Either you work for the TSA or well, I don't know. My passport has more ink in it than a tranny biker from North Florida so, I know a thing or two about international travel - just don't ever shoot 4x5 overseas much. In fact, I have a 17 hour flight on Wednesday followed by another dozen or so over the next month and that isnt even the Morocco trip.

Hollis -

Moulay Idriss is a very, very small place that, as you know, is much closer to Fes than Casa. That being said, the Casa airport is busier and larger (and usually has many more international flights) than the Fes airport. The Casa airport is about three hours drive (with a fast driver) from Fes, 90% of which is on a major highway.

I would like to point out that planning a trip around the Casa airport will make things easier to get to Marrakech (if that interests you).

I can't comment on flying in and out of Casa or Fes. While I have had guests fly into Casa with extensive digital kits, no visitors have brought film yet. I usually fly out of Rabat, as the airport is very close to my home.

I can tell you that security here doesn't seem to care much about camera gear. Even at the airport, not much more than a cursory glance is given to gear. I can't comment on whether that extends to film, as all of my film and chemistry was shipped in.

Good luck!

joelio
11-Dec-2012, 04:07
Hollis -

After looking at your site (again), I see that you are familiar with Marrakech and probably know your way around better than many of our visitors.

Please let me know if I can help with anything while you're over here.

-Joel

r.e.
11-Dec-2012, 10:08

Sorry, but I don't see what that book has to do with what we are discussing. If it is to be believed, ordinary businesses in Chechnya, and the Grozny airport entrance, are or were using what sound like very crude scanners for everyone. Might be something not far off a checked baggage scanner, which by all accounts will indeed screw up one's film. Given the situation in Chechnya, it sounds rather more like what was happening in Israel a few years ago, which was the use of guns and screening wands at the entrance to many establishments, especially high end bars and restaurants. These kinds of issues, and the equipment used, have nothing to do with a carry-on baggage scanner in Morocco or anywhere else.

I don't question, and indeed don't care, that you spend a lot of time in airports. If that's the case, I gather, as you intimate yourself, that you have done so exclusively with digital cameras, unless your question is whether there is a difference in the impact of carry-on X-ray scanners on 4x5 and 120 film as distinct from 35mm. If that is your question, I have never heard anyone suggest that the effect of scanners is dependent on film size.

Sorry if you found my posts brash. You asked for input from people who have travelled in Morocco, and have experience with running film through its airport X-ray machines, and I offered my views based on the fact that I meet those criteria - thus far, the only respondent who does.

P.S. And no, I don't work for the TSA. I'm not even an American. I do travel a bit though; currently spending the winter in Italy, with plans to spend some time in the UK and North Africa, and not worried, based on previous experience going back many years, about carry-on X-ray machines.

Stephane
11-Dec-2012, 15:26
In Agadir, on arrival, the airport police stopped me (because I did not have an address on the entry card), and went through my stuff. They opened one loaded holder, and hence lost 2 negatives. Did not matter, it was not much. In the end, the guy that rented me a car put down his address, so the police was happy.
Just to say that on arrival, you may get checked if you dont do like every one else (i.e. book a hotel before flying).

r.e.
13-Dec-2012, 11:31
In Agadir, on arrival, the airport police stopped me (because I did not have an address on the entry card), and went through my stuff. They opened one loaded holder, and hence lost 2 negatives. Did not matter, it was not much. In the end, the guy that rented me a car put down his address, so the police was happy.
Just to say that on arrival, you may get checked if you dont do like every one else (i.e. book a hotel before flying).

Stephane, by the way, has posted a number of nice photographs taken in Morocco.

Agidir is a significant European tourism destination and windsurfing centre.

As I'm sure Stephane knows, showing up in Agadir without telling Moroccan immigration where you are staying is kind of like doing the same thing in Oslo, London, New York or Toronto. There just might be some questions and a search of your bags, especially if you don't speak French or Arabic and can't explain the absence of a destination address on your entry form.

Steven Tribe
13-Dec-2012, 13:52
I think Stephane, being French and thus probably still French speaking, might have encountered the kind of reaction that we English sometimes get in countries where we played imperalists. There are a lot of French mobile home campers northwest of Agadir every European winter, some with an attitude.

anglophone1
13-Dec-2012, 20:01
Flew into Fez this March with film ( ok not LF but 120 and 35) no problems getting in except everything going through customs went through a scanner,no harm to film ( velvia 50 and Portra 400) though.
Leaving ditto.
Moulay Idriss is nice, Fes is fabulous, I am seriously looking at running a workshop there.....

r.e.
14-Dec-2012, 10:44
I think Stephane, being French and thus probably still French speaking, might have encountered the kind of reaction that we English sometimes get in countries where we played imperalists. There are a lot of French mobile home campers northwest of Agadir every European winter, some with an attitude.

Yes, that would explain it :)

Jim Andrada
14-Dec-2012, 22:25
OK - it's more than 15 years ago but I did have a lot of film ruined going through the X-ray at Auckland. Probably just fine now.

Hollis
1-Feb-2013, 09:58
In morocco now everyone and the shooting has been good even with getting threatened with deportation twice. The Polaroid I have been shooting looks good but haven't processed the film yet. I believe I am up to 240 exposed sheets, something like that.

Because I know someone will ask, I was threatened with deportation because the powers that be revoked my permission to shoot the Sufi pilgrimage of Sidi Ali bin Hamdouch. Apparently, the new conservative government here doesn't want to publicize the very fringe, mystic/black magic brand of Islam that some practice here. I don't half blame them as there were people cutting themselves with knives, lighting parts of their bodies on fire, eating glass, etc etc etc - pretty out there stuff.

Noah A
1-Feb-2013, 11:19
Can't wait to see the photos. Stay safe.

Hollis
2-Feb-2013, 12:41
Heading home in a few hours - can't wait to ship the film off to my lab....

RawheaD
2-Feb-2013, 12:58
Post some photos!!! I'm looking to head to Morocco for the second time later this year :D

Hollis
7-Feb-2013, 22:33
Film should be in-hand Saturday and then scan scan scan...

Hollis
25-Feb-2013, 22:12
So, film is back, scanned and up on my site.

Check out

http://www.hollisbennett.com/#/New%20Work/Morocco,%202013/1/

to see the images from the trip. Let me know what you think as well.

joelio
25-Feb-2013, 23:32
Hollis -

The new images are great. The portraits from the tannery are especially fantastic - great work.

Hopefully your next trip stays closer to the plan, though these images should make you very proud.

-joel

So, film is back, scanned and up on my site.

Check out

http://www.hollisbennett.com/#/New%20Work/Morocco,%202013/1/

to see the images from the trip. Let me know what you think as well.

Ari
26-Feb-2013, 07:45
Very good work, Hollis; viewing it makes me quite nostalgic, so I think you have something quite honest in these photos.

austin granger
26-Feb-2013, 12:13
I really enjoyed looking through those Hollis. I've wanted to go to Morocco ever since I discovered the Master Musicians of Jajouka. Maybe someday I'll get to their village. Anyway though, really nice work. I think my favorite is the one of the man sharpening his tool (with the rooster!), but they're all wonderful. Cheers!

Steven Tribe
28-Feb-2013, 03:11
I think my favorite is the one of the man sharpening his tool (with the rooster!), but they're all wonderful. Cheers! .

Agreed - from my point of view, pictures of people doing something, rather than posing, are to be prefered.

Tannery was a lucky break.