PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F1

xmishx
7-Dec-2012, 19:27
I just traded a Wet Plate for a Sinar F1 with a Schneider Super Angulon 90 mm lens. It fits nicely in its Lightware case. I have a few questions...

When I inspected the camera, I noticed the one fine tune focus knob was on the front of the camera as opposed to the rear. I didn't realize the easy way to fix this, so I ended up pulling and switching out the standards. Upon doing so, plastic pieces fell out from the inside of where the vertical rails go. I have no idea how to put them back in.

Because the camera was used for wide angle use, the F1 came with a bag bellows and a short 11 inch rail. I'm hoping to use longer lenses, 210 probably the longest. Can anyone discuss the relationship of the length of rail to the focal length of lenses? I do on occassion shoot close up head shots to full length body shots and everything in between.

Thanks,

Mike Lease
19-Dec-2012, 00:59
Ted, I'm afraid I can't help you on your first issue ... good luck with that.

I use a non-Super Angulon 90mm on my F1 for landscape shots and it does fine with the regular bellows. Unless you plan to go shorter than 90mm or need to use much swing/tilt with the 90mm you probably won't have much use for the bag bellows.

Generally speaking, when focused at infinity the lens to film distance is the focal length of the lens. As the point of focus moves closer to the camera, the lens has to move further away from the film to maintain focus. With a 210mm lens that 11" rail will probably keep you from being able to focus for a head shot (which could be uncomfortably close for your subject anyway). For what you're wanting to do, you will need the regular bellows and probably 14-18" of rail (depending on what length lens you end up with but I would want 50-100% more rail length than lens length). Fortunately Sinar extension rails are pretty easy to come by so you don't have to replace the rail you have. Also, if you're not aware of this, you'll need to adjust your exposure based on the lens to film distance.

The article at the link below should help you on your lens selection.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/portrait-lenses/

Mike