PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to trim prints mounted on gatorboard?

vinny
7-Dec-2012, 16:46
I'm gonna mount several 8x12 glossy crystal archive lightjets to 1/4" gator board for my kid's room. What's the easiest and nicest way to trim off the excess paper?

fwiw, here's what I've tried on samples of 3/4" gator board:
trimming with a sharp utility knife. it works but the edge isn't as perfect as I'd like.
running the knife trimmed board through the table saw. this reveals the base of the paper and looks a little sloppy but the board is smooth.

I'm not interested in having someone else do it or buying more $$ equipment.
I want to use gator board that I have laying around so don't try to talk me into using something else.

vinny
8-Dec-2012, 10:57
help me

bob carnie
8-Dec-2012, 11:32
You are doing it right. but maybe trying to do this in one cut.

When we do this its generally about 6 cuts to completely go through the gator... make sure you are using a good olfa blade that is brand new, they dull really fast btw and your ruler is held in place and not hurting the print.

Also get right over top of the prints

vinny
8-Dec-2012, 11:46
Bob, I was referring to trimming the print, not the board.
I just found a thread on apug (that I started several years ago) regarding this same question. I hadn't tried a test print, cutting off the excess print sitting on glass with an exacto knife. It works great and looks like a pro did it. Thanks

Greg Miller
8-Dec-2012, 11:50
I use a rotatrim cutter most of the time. For really long paper I use a knife with a 48" straight edge and the paper on a wast piece of mat board.

vinny
8-Dec-2012, 13:15
I use a rotatrim cutter most of the time. For really long paper I use a knife with a 48" straight edge and the paper on a wast piece of mat board.
your rotratrim can trim a print mounted to gatorboard?
I have a Dahle, and that wouldn't work, much too thick.
anyway, the exacto method on glass is working great.

Greg Miller
8-Dec-2012, 17:04
your rotratrim can trim a print mounted to gatorboard?
I have a Dahle, and that wouldn't work, much too thick.
anyway, the exacto method on glass is working great.

Guess this sattement confused me - this sounds like the print is not mounted yet.

Bob, I was referring to trimming the print, not the board.
I just found a thread on apug (that I started several years ago) regarding this same question. I hadn't tried a test print, cutting off the excess print sitting on glass with an exacto knife. It works great and looks like a pro did it. Thanks