PDA

View Full Version : Almost pristine Dallmeyer 3B on ebay....just spotted

Martin Courtenay-Blake
7-Dec-2012, 12:44
Just spotted on Ebay UK...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Dallmeyer-3B-Adjustable-Patent-Soft-Focus-Portrait-Lens-/190766340402?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories&hash=item2c6a8f5932

Only reason I have posted this is because I have never seen a Dallmeyer lens in this condition. Starting price also seems almost reasonable.

Just to confirm I have absolutely nothing to do with this seller, just surprised to see this lens in such amazing condition. My only worry is the sellers lack of a record.

Might be of interest to all you soft focus portrait guys.

Steven Tribe
7-Dec-2012, 13:40
There used to be another lens/photographica guy in Wallingford. This is a genuine auction not stolen images. Perhaps we could send the local police to investigate (Morse or Lewis?).

Is this brass or aluminium?
It is the old rear cell turn model.
So my guess would be:
Tarted-up brass finish (very well done) - I think I can just see the corroded areas giving a slightly different enamel surface texture in places. Makes a nice change from botched polish jobs!

E. von Hoegh
7-Dec-2012, 13:45
That lens reminds me of some Burke & James refinished and coated lenses. They used black lacquer and filled the engraving with white, too. I can't be certain if that lens is coated or not...

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
7-Dec-2012, 13:52
I owned a very similar 3B once upon a time, in fact this could even be my lens. These black enameled barrels were put out of the factory in the 20th century (upto the late 1920s I think) like this. The barrel was very nicely enameled brass, but they were never coated by Dallmeyer. Interestingly, these 20th century issues were slightly modified, and had a smaller rear element. This reduced coverage, and prevented the aberrations which are currently fashionable.

Steven Tribe
7-Dec-2012, 14:09
But Jason, yours would have been "turn the barrel" soft adjustment?
I think the B&J idea is likely - or a job by someone who had seen their work.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
7-Dec-2012, 14:14
No, mine was exactly like this, reach through the back adjustment. According to the Vade Mecum the serial number on this, 140903, was from the late 1920s or early 1930s.

... No107,55x is mid1920's (No121,xxx was about 1927) and a Dalmac No147,14x is in a rimset Compur No2,421,56x of about 1934,and that coating began early post-1945 at No 340,000 approx.

unixrevolution
7-Dec-2012, 14:14
Wow, that's gorgeous.

Superb? Doesn't he mean "minty"?

alex from holland
8-Dec-2012, 10:10
well, regarding the design it is strange. The younger 3b's had a different design and no rack and pignon.

Alex

E. von Hoegh
8-Dec-2012, 10:17
Wow, that's gorgeous.

Superb? Doesn't he mean "minty"?

"Mint" as a description of condition is an absolute, like "pregnant" and "dead". ;)

I'd call the condition of the lens "excellent" or "superb", but far from "mint" (which is properly used only for coins).

E. von Hoegh
8-Dec-2012, 10:19
But Jason, yours would have been "turn the barrel" soft adjustment?
I think the B&J idea is likely - or a job by someone who had seen their work.

If it's coated, it's likely a B&J. They refinished quite a few lenses and by all accounts did a decent job.

Andrew Plume
8-Dec-2012, 10:43
Steven

the ebay seller you are referring to, is 'traveller61', he, I know and always sells high class items

regards

andrew

Steven Tribe
8-Dec-2012, 11:31
Couldn't put a name to the Wallingford location at the time ! Only high class items. I have relatives in the Oxon and Bucks area so always notice adresses around there. Even as far as Banbury!

Steven Tribe
15-Dec-2012, 03:43
This auction is nearing the grand climax.

Although the shown photos look like a seller's portfolio of a genuine article, I still have my doubts about the seller. As the OP said:

My only worry is the sellers lack of a record.

I find it difficult to understand that someone would enter the e*bay world with something as exclusive as this.

I also find it worrying that his original "0" feedback suddenly increased to (1) from an item back from June this year - which is no longer viewable on the site.

Andrew Plume
16-Dec-2012, 08:46
Steven

I'm fairly certain that this is the son of one, 'traveller 61' and if I'm right, there shouldn't be any problem with the item (and needless to say, I have no connection with the sale)

regards

andrew

Steven Tribe
16-Dec-2012, 09:13
The text is well worded and the photos are typical of regular listings , but I would have thought that "Dad" would given some advice about building-up a history, before launching the quality items where bidders do think about fraud.

Emil Schildt
16-Dec-2012, 17:19
$3,707.60...

Rafal Lukawiecki
16-Dec-2012, 17:23
So, which one of us just got a new toy?

goamules
17-Dec-2012, 08:07
I hope no one here paid that much. There have been plenty of 3Bs for sale on this and other forums, for far, far less.

Rafal Lukawiecki
17-Dec-2012, 17:45
Well, then thank goodness. I've never owned a "classic" lens, only modern ones. I've been tempted to try, but the prices never made sense to me, either incredibly low, or just add two more zeros for what seemed like the same thing. One day, it may mean more to me. Still, this one looked oddly new.

Mark Sawyer
17-Dec-2012, 18:36
Just another Holy Grail... :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's not outrageous for someone with deep pockets and an interest in historic lenses. You could very easily spend ten times that on a vintage Rolex, or a hundred times that on a vintage car or dancing horse.