PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F2 extension

cluttered
7-Dec-2012, 04:18
Currently I'm using focal lengths only up to 210mm, but I'm keen to do a bit of work with a 300mm lens, or possibly longer. I already have an extension rail, and I understand that I'll probably need a Sinar "multipurpose" standard and additional bellows, but is there any other hardware I'll need?

rdenney
7-Dec-2012, 07:37
Any 4x5 standard will knit bellows together. Even an old Norma multipurpose standard will do so on the F and P series cameras. The plain multipurpose standards are clamp-over designs that you can add to the rail without removing the other standards. Yes, all you need is the standard and another bellows.

Rick "who has never needed to do this with 12" lenses, however" Denney

adam satushek
7-Dec-2012, 07:56
I have gotten away with using a 450mm on my 4x5 f2 with just the standard bellows, so without the intermediate standard and extra bellows. But the shots I have done that on were near infinity and very little movements were used, or possible because of how taught the bellows were. Not the correct way to do it, and I do own extra bellow and a multipurpose standard but they are more often used as a compendium shade. For 300mm I don't think I've ever needed anything beyond 1 set of bellows, but of course if I'm using a long lenses I'm shooting distant subjects where minimal draw and movements are needed. Your requirements may be very different.

Jerry Flynn
7-Dec-2012, 07:58
I agree with Rick concerning the extension. Depending on how close you intend to work, a 6" extension may be enough, but there are far more 12" extensions available out there. Also, whether you need the multipurpose standard and additional bellows is again related to how close you want to work with your 300mm lens. The normal Sinar bellows extends to about 16 (?) inches without the need of additional support. If you are planning on shooting something like head and sholders portraits, you may need a bit more extension via the mps and additional bellows. BTW, I have used a bag bellows as the extension - sort of two uses for one piece of equipment.

erie patsellis
8-Dec-2012, 08:15
An alternative would be the longer Horseman bellows which exyend to about 24 inches, they're great for shooting with longer lenses and usually aren't too expensive, when you find them.

cluttered
8-Dec-2012, 14:44
Thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead and try to find a multipurpose standard (in good condition for a sane price, hopefully!) and additional bellows. Along with the extension that I already have, that'll give me the best flexibility.

dspellman
8-Dec-2012, 16:42
Thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead and try to find a multipurpose standard (in good condition for a sane price, hopefully!) and additional bellows. Along with the extension that I already have, that'll give me the best flexibility.

It's a good idea, and it also allows you to use the extra bellows and standard as a lenshade in front of the lens if you don't need it in the camera itself. There are purpose built pieces that allow you to put all that together.

I've used a 300mm (Fuji) for years as a primary on my 4x5 for product work (the 210 rarely comes out of the box), and have rarely needed extra bellows. Standard bellows on the Sinar is, I believe, 18". As you know, the 300 is a 12" lens, so you can do a whole TON of useful work on 4x5 with that much bellows. About the only time you'd need to go with an extension is if you were shooting more toward the 1:1 region, which of course would require a 24" bellows. At that point, however, you'd be 24" from your subject and your lens would likely be something less than optimal for macro work. For that I've often used a 420 something or other (Rodenstock?), or a 450mm Nikkor, which required a pair of 18" bellows for 1:1 (and less for any smaller reproduction), but which gave you at least a 36" working distance from the front of the lens.