PDA

View Full Version : Kodak sliding tripod block

dap
6-Dec-2012, 16:20
Hi all - I have a quick little question for you. Did the Kodak 2/2d cameras (and other kodaks of the same ilk) all come with sliding tripod blocks as standard equipment or were they accessories that were sold as extras? Just curious due to the fact that it seems like about 75% (actually probably more than that) of them that trade hands on the secondary market do not come with the blocks. So did they all get lost over the years or didn't they come with them in the first place?

Louis Pacilla
6-Dec-2012, 20:02
The 2d had the third grove in the rail to facilitate the sliding block and it was originally sold with the block. The Eastman #1 had only 2 groves in the rail one for each standard and it did not accept a sliding block.

I think photographers often left the sliding block on the tripod platforms and then slid the 2d on to the sliding block. Sort of like a quick release. Then they would move the camera in and out of the case without the block. Over time the tripod (with sliding block attached) and camera (in the case) get separated never to find each other again.

Here's a little reading.

Roger Thoms
6-Dec-2012, 20:22
Here's one example of what happens. My recently purchased 8x10 2D came with not one but two sliding blocks. I have a Majestic tripod head with a 6"x7" plate. I find that the camera is more stable mounted directly to the tripod head. So when I saw this thread I had to think where are my two sliding block? One for sure is in the cabinet where I store camera equipment, the other one, well I"m realy not sure. Could be well on it's way to being lost. I'm on vacation with the camera, when I get home I'll have to find the other block and put it in the equipment cabinet.

Roger