PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Seen This. . .

J.B. Harlin
6-Dec-2012, 13:49
Has anyone seen the article by Patric Alt & Larry Scher in the current issue of View Camera Magazine? Specifically, the last sentence on page #20. That should be enough to start WWIII in itself! :eek:

dap
6-Dec-2012, 14:56
Didn't read it and I probably never will (I don't get that particular magazine). What was the gist of the article? More importantly, what was the last sentence?

Light Guru
6-Dec-2012, 15:42
Has anyone seen the article by Patric Alt & Larry Scher in the current issue of View Camera Magazine? Specifically, the last sentence on page #20. That should be enough to start WWIII in itself! :eek:

I am unable to read it because the crazy people at view camera magazine have some messed up policies. You can get a digital only subscription ONLY if you live out side the US, if you live inside the US you MUST get the print version and then PAY EXTRA for the digital version. I don't want a printed version, just a digital one to read on my iPad, why waist the paper. It makes no since, they already make the digital version and yet they refuse to let me pay them to get only the digital version just because I live in the US.

paulr
6-Dec-2012, 16:02
Sounds like the half dozen guys who actually subscribe will have to have world war three all by themselves.

Andrew Tymon
6-Dec-2012, 16:28
Pyro sucks? Film is dead?;)?

evan clarke
6-Dec-2012, 16:38

Four subscribers can't start a world war

dap
6-Dec-2012, 17:40
Four subscribers can't start a world war

Not true - it all depends on how well armed they are.

evan clarke
6-Dec-2012, 17:42
Not true - it all depends on how well armed they are.

The people have pistols and rifles, the government has hydrogen bombs..who can start the war??

Peter Lewin
6-Dec-2012, 18:04
Patrick Alt & Larry Scher: "The Art & Craft of Platinum," last sentence: "With the advent of digital printing from machines, which in essence is just a poster, platinum printing provides a photographer who still believes in the hand crafting of their images to be important and worth all of the effort that goes into the making of a beautiful print, as opposed to pushing a button and having a machine make your art."

I guess I'm one of the "four subscribers" posting here, but since I'm neither competent at digital printing, nor platinum printing, I'll leave the World War fighting to those of you who are...

vinny
6-Dec-2012, 18:18
Out of the four subscribers, peter is probably the only one that got his issue in the mail anyway!
Hahahahahah.

J.B. Harlin
6-Dec-2012, 18:22
I was taken by the provocative statement suggesting that a digital print is a 'poster' would stir some up. I know some people that would be ready to load-n-lock over that statement.

photobymike
6-Dec-2012, 18:29
The people have pistols and rifles, the government has hydrogen bombs..who can start the war??

Give me 500,000.00 dollars and i could make you an Uranium bomb. I could get most of my parts from Radio Shack. The special trigger explosive from Dupont... (i think you still can get the very special explosive).... the trick is getting U235 ... currently being manufactured in quantity in Iran. Then you would need a long gun barrel .. I learned all of this in college physics when i was younger... whats the big deal

oh off topic sorry....... Everybody is so prickly these days..... Just laugh at the stupid stuff.....

Light Guru
6-Dec-2012, 19:59
Out of the four subscribers, peter is probably the only one that got his issue in the mail anyway!
Hahahahahah.

Yet another reason they should offer digital only to every one. I hear physical distribution has many issues just like their customer service.

Peter Lewin
6-Dec-2012, 20:15
Let's not turn this into a "dump on View Camera" thread; it has been pointed out in other threads that not only is it the only magazine out there dedicated to large format, it is really a two person operation, Steve Simmons and Andrea Miles, so we should cut them a little slack. Yes, I'm guilty of sending emails to Andrea on occasion, asking where my mailed copy has disappeared to, but I'm also glad when it does finally appear in my mailbox.

As to the real subject of this thread, it seems to be the now-old debate over whether a darkroom print is better than, or the same as, a digital print. While "I don't have a dog in this fight," I think that for most of us, the battle ended in a draw, and an equally well done archival inkjet print is the equal of a well-done darkroom print. However, for me at least, a platinum print really is something special, so I guess I would agree with the authors of the article on platinum printing, and say that a platinum print wins out, because the extra craftsmanship in the "alternative techniques" goes above and beyond the more common silver prints. But if that statement will start an argument, I'll withdraw it!

Kirk Gittings
6-Dec-2012, 20:18
What's the big deal the exact same thing has been said here probably 100 times? Its just another opinion.

J.B. Harlin
6-Dec-2012, 20:25
I have no bone to pick with anyone. . . I was just a little taken to see such a seemingly negative statement made in a very good article. I am perfectly satisfied to call the D vs A thing a draw and get on with life.

tgtaylor
6-Dec-2012, 20:38
Patrick Alt & Larry Scher: "The Art & Craft of Platinum," last sentence: "With the advent of digital printing from machines, which in essence is just a poster, platinum printing provides a photographer who still believes in the hand crafting of their images to be important and worth all of the effort that goes into the making of a beautiful print, as opposed to pushing a button and having a machine make your art."

I guess I'm one of the "four subscribers" posting here, but since I'm neither competent at digital printing, nor platinum printing, I'll leave the World War fighting to those of you who are...

Whoever wrote that sentence must have alzheizmers or something because he or she forgot to finish their thought:..."provides a photographer..." WHAT, specifically, does it provide the photographer with? It trails off without answering that.

Thomas

Ari
6-Dec-2012, 20:58
Whoever wrote that sentence must have alzheizmers or something because he or she forgot to finish their thought:..."provides a photographer..." WHAT, specifically, does it provide the photographer with? It trails off without answering that.

Thomas

Yeah, I know; good writing (style, grammar, accuracy and objectivity) is also a victim of the digital age.

ImSoNegative
6-Dec-2012, 20:58
I was taken by the provocative statement suggesting that a digital print is a 'poster' would stir some up. I know some people that would be ready to load-n-lock over that statement.

post this over at photo.net, that will start a war for sure lol

Kevin J. Kolosky
7-Dec-2012, 07:57
I know I wouldn't pay money for a "fine" print if it wasn't silver.

Jim Andrada
13-Dec-2012, 18:03
I was talking to a gallery owner a couple of years ago - he said they didn't see much difference in the acceptance or pricing of ink jet vs silver photographic prints any more.

I guess the real question is whether the medium chosen is appropriate for the subject matter and fits the vision of the photographer. I think the silver vs ink jet (sorry - "giclee" in a fancy gallery) argument is sort of like PC vs Mac

Kirk Gittings
13-Dec-2012, 18:18
Agreed. I am getting allot more for my inkjet prints now than I was getting for silver when I started printing inkjet and volume is up too. Now I continue to print silver for the right images and a few people prefer them (mainly traditional LF photographers).

ic-racer
13-Dec-2012, 18:25

I don't get it? What is controversial about that, it is just stating the obvious. Starting a war over that statement would be like starting a war over the statement "McDonalds hamburger is fast food."

Roger Cole
13-Dec-2012, 19:50

Thomas

I pretty much had the same thought. As written, it's actually a sentence fragment.

Yeah, I know; good writing (style, grammar, accuracy and objectivity) is also a victim of the digital age.

Nah. It's made the average of all writing worse, I think, but stuff like this has been around as long as there's been writing.

I need to call Steve and subscribe again. I got it for a while back in the late 90s, then when I started doing photography again would pick up a copy now and then at Borders, which carried it. Alas. :( If Internet subscription was reliable I already would have signed up, but I've heard they just don't handle that very well and it's best to always call them.

richardman
13-Dec-2012, 21:30
Hey wat?! I just subscribed. So I am the fifth subscriber?! :-)

re: D vs. A, part 2^^43-1
Talk to any gallery owners, and none of them cares.
Talk to any perspective buyers, and none of them cares - unless they are film photographers themselves :-)