PDA

View Full Version : My first *successful* attempt at 4x5 developing and printing

ckpj99
5-Dec-2012, 19:14
I think I nailed it. The first set of negatives I processed sucked a lot. I didn't agitate enough, and I had my paws all over the film.

I went out today and made another couple shots of one of my favorite subjects, a local railyard. Came back, and got the negatives to turn out ok. And then let my magical printing skills do the rest of the work, lol!

The attached scan is sort of a crop of the print. I can only scan 8x10 with my flatbed. I printed an 11x14. I didn't mess with the exposure or contrast, I want to keep in looking like the actual print, so you all could check it out.

Let me know what you think!

Bill Burk
5-Dec-2012, 21:44
Looks great!

ImSoNegative
5-Dec-2012, 22:42
very nice Job!

Leigh
6-Dec-2012, 00:36
Well done!

- Leigh

wallrat
6-Dec-2012, 09:23
Nice job. This is well exposed and printed. It's hard to tell from the scan but if it were printed slightly lower contrast with increased time (I'd lower .5 grad to start and add 10%) your highlights will fill in a bit better and the shadows will have a bit more detail. However, it could just be the scan. Very nice job all the way through. Keep it up (although I doubt I have to tell you that as you obviously see how addicting it is :)

-Bill

Peter Lewin
6-Dec-2012, 09:58
Nice job! What developing method did you choose: trays, Jobo, something else? I've been tray developing "forever" but don't know what I would recommend to someone starting out.

ckpj99
6-Dec-2012, 12:48
Thanks for kind words.

To Wallrat: yes it's definitely addicting. When I look at the over all print, it looks a little flat to me, but I was trying to maintain the smooth tones. The top of the big white train car has been burned in as well. I'll try another print with your suggestions. It was an 84 second print, with 12 additional seconds of burn on the train car.

To Peter Lewin: I chose tray developing for both the film and the prints. I have nice reels and tanks for 120 and 35mm. I learned how to develop and print in high school in 2000, and continued to do it through the first couple years of college while I was earning my degree in photojournalism. By 2003, I think every newspaper in the country was using digital, so these are the first prints I've made about 10 years. And obviously, I'm new to 4x5 as well. PJs gave up their Speed Graphics by about 1960. Anyway, Jobos are a bit daunting to me. I've never actually seen one work, so I have no clue how easy or complex in might be.

Oh and yes, I'm pretty young, I guess. But I've been working for newspapers since I was 16, so I'm old school, I guess.