PDA

View Full Version : Linhof or Sinar?

big_ben_blue
5-Dec-2012, 18:49
I have a bit of a dilemma. My own camera system of many years is a Linhof Bi-Kardan. I haven't used it much lately to be honest (prefer 8x10 wooden cameras for wetplate etc). But now, a good friend is getting rid of his 4x5 gear (a Sinar P2 in decent shape). Since I used to be his assistant, I know the gear inside out. The fleah in my ear is telling me to maybe buy the Sinar myself and divulging of the Linhof. Lunacy, crazy talk? What would YOU do? Keep the Linhof or dumping it in favour of the Sinar?

Teodor Oprean
5-Dec-2012, 19:00
Keep the Linhof.

Richard Wasserman
5-Dec-2012, 19:11
They are both obviously very fine cameras. What would the Sinar allow you to do that the Linhof won't?

Bill McMannis
5-Dec-2012, 19:25
The Sinar is a very nice camera, but Linhof is better IMO.

big_ben_blue
5-Dec-2012, 20:12
Good points. The Linhof was my first LF camera, bought it for college. It feels more solid and rugged than the Sinar, however the Sinar is easier to operate (yaw free, "DoF estimator"). I better have a good night's sleep over it ... don't want to rush for a decision.

Ari
5-Dec-2012, 21:02
Why not have both? :)

Mark Sampson
5-Dec-2012, 21:27
Presumably you know the Linhof well, from long experience with it. Using it is probably second nature; your hand has grown to fit the tool. That doesn't show up on the spec sheet but it's important. I think Sinars are excellent, I use one, but not enough better that the Kardan Bi that the learning curve would be worth the effort. YRMV, of course.

Darin Boville
5-Dec-2012, 21:38
Can he loan you the Sinar for a month or so?--after all, I bet selling stuff just before Christmas isn't going to fetch the highest prices. Have him loan it to you, see what you actually use in practice, and sell it for him (your "fee" for the rental is taking care of the sale for him, since I'm guessing he isn't an internet guy).

--Darin

BTMarcais
5-Dec-2012, 22:13
I think Darin's got the right idea. Until you use it for a bit you won't be sure which fits you. Personally I like the Sinar, but that's my bias since it's what I learned on and did commercial work with.
Having said that, now I mostly use a Technika. In the end, they all work, just find the one you're most comfortable with. If after using it for a month you'd rather use the linhof, keep the linhof.
-Brian

Daniel Stone
6-Dec-2012, 00:47
Can he loan you the Sinar for a month or so?--after all, I bet selling stuff just before Christmas isn't going to fetch the highest prices. Have him loan it to you, see what you actually use in practice, and sell it for him (your "fee" for the rental is taking care of the sale for him, since I'm guessing he isn't an internet guy).

--Darin

+1

cosmicexplosion
6-Dec-2012, 02:46
The sinar is a good camera that can carry 810 And 45 as you know
It is a good modular system

I find it very easy to operate. And smooth

From looking at the linhof it looks more solid
But I think the sinar maybe easier to operate one handed.

You also get to to spend money on auto shutters
And all the sinar stuff to send you broke.!

In the end it probly doesn't matter. Really

But if you need a change. And think it will invigorate your photography
Then do it.

mortensen
6-Dec-2012, 07:11
to put it short - keet it Linhof.
sell the Kardan you have and get one of the cheap Technikardans instead. Equal versatility in a much more compact and good looking package :)

DennisD
6-Dec-2012, 07:21
+1

Try the Sinar for a month or so as originally suggested by Darin. Very good thought.
+2

Drew Wiley
6-Dec-2012, 09:30
I assume this is for studio use ??? If you do need to reconfigure things for wider ranges of
application, the Sinar system is much more versatile, with components readily available.
But you probably already knew this. I don't know that yaw-free is that big a deal except
for tabletop shots in the studio. Flip a coin.

Ari
6-Dec-2012, 11:25
to put it short - keet it Linhof.
sell the Kardan you have and get one of the cheap Technikardans instead. Equal versatility in a much more compact and good looking package :)

Agreed, the TK is a very unique camera, and these days it's quite affordable.

Drew Wiley
6-Dec-2012, 11:46
Think you're confusing the TK with something else, maybe color Kardan. Technikardans
were never cheap, and are still quite expensive, even used. I actually prefer a Sinar because you can balance the rail at any point on the tripod mount. With a TK it basically
telescope forward, so you often need a heavier mount and heavier tripod - something often overlooked when selecting a field monorail. Nice camera no doubt, but it's good to
know the pros and cons. Also more oriented toward longer lenses. With Sinar, it's easy to
go toward any extreme due to readily-available interchangable components.

Teodor Oprean
6-Dec-2012, 11:56
The Linhof Kardan BI and Kardan GT cameras were designed to be system cameras. They are not limited to 4x5. You can upgrade them to 5x7 and 8x10 just as you can with the Sinar system. You just interchange a few components. I have seen Kardans in all those formats listed and sold on ebay over the past year. If it matters to you to have the additional formats, just keep watching the market.

mortensen
6-Dec-2012, 12:15
Think you're confusing the TK with something else, maybe color Kardan. Technikardans
were never cheap, and are still quite expensive, even used. I actually prefer a Sinar because you can balance the rail at any point on the tripod mount. With a TK it basically
telescope forward, so you often need a heavier mount and heavier tripod - something often overlooked when selecting a field monorail. Nice camera no doubt, but it's good to
know the pros and cons. Also more oriented toward longer lenses. With Sinar, it's easy to
go toward any extreme due to readily-available interchangable components.

... I bought a TK45S for around $1300 last year, perfect condition. No confusion of models here :). They have gone for as low as $1000 on this forum. You just need to be patient, thats all! Granted, if lenses above 300 is your primary thing, the TK is not advisable, but for anything lower its rock solid and very portable, yet versatile.

big_ben_blue
6-Dec-2012, 12:22
Why not have both? :)

LOL, I haven't won the lottery just yet. Would love to keep both - I know both systems and have worked with both.

Drew Wiley
6-Dec-2012, 12:23
For a little over a thousand you could get a basic Sinar F new, and with patience, a geared
X for that price range used now. So relatively speaking, the TK is still quite a bit more
expensive. Glad you found a good deal, just as I did on a vintage clean Norma. But the
preceding remark about monorail system cameras applies to all kinds of brands. It's just
damn difficult to find components for many of them. With Sinar it's easy.

Len Middleton
6-Dec-2012, 12:30
I have a bit of a dilemma. My own camera system of many years is a Linhof Bi-Kardan. I haven't used it much lately to be honest (prefer 8x10 wooden cameras for wetplate etc). But now, a good friend is getting rid of his 4x5 gear (a Sinar P2 in decent shape). Since I used to be his assistant, I know the gear inside out. The fleah in my ear is telling me to maybe buy the Sinar myself and divulging of the Linhof. Lunacy, crazy talk? What would YOU do? Keep the Linhof or dumping it in favour of the Sinar?

Big Ben,

You have not indicated your use or criteria for selection, so everything is just speculation.

Having owned a couple of Linhofs (and still have a Tech V) I think very highly of them.

What is you are looking for the Sinar to provide that the Linhof is not providing (e.g. versatility, availability of complete system now, ease / speed of working,, etc., or just a bad case of GAS)?

Simple option depending upon your finances and space is of course to have both, or as others mentioned test drive the Sinar, although should that really be needed given your experience with it...

I think you have some fundamental questions to answer yourself, otherwise you might find the solution you select to be unsatisfactory in the long run.

I guess there are worse dilemmas like not having a LF camera at all...

Good luck with it,

Len