PDA

View Full Version : Advice required and quarter plate film inserts?

antonroland
5-Dec-2012, 04:58
Hello everyone

I have a J.T. Chapman quarter plate camera and I would like to start making exposures with her.

I am told that inserts may be available to use in conjunction with modern cut-sheet film.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anton

premortho
6-Dec-2012, 09:27
I have heard of taking picture frame glass, cutting it to fit, and loading the sheet film in front of the very thin glass. Good luck.
Hello everyone

I have a J.T. Chapman quarter plate camera and I would like to start making exposures with her.

I am told that inserts may be available to use in conjunction with modern cut-sheet film.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anton

IanG
6-Dec-2012, 09:35
I'm on the case :D

In the summer I was give some 1/4 plate film adaptor inserts and then sold some film by the donor later the same morning, and yesterday I bought some metal to make some more, as well as some 9x12 size for myself and another member of this forum.

Ian

Roger Hesketh
6-Dec-2012, 16:29
Kodak made quarter plate inserts. If you should need another one to use as a pattern Ian let me know and I will send you one.

IanG
7-Dec-2012, 04:26
Kodak made quarter plate inserts. If you should need another one to use as a pattern Ian let me know and I will send you one.

Roger, can I take you up on that please. PM sent. I have some inserts but they probably weren't commercial and it would be useful to get the dimensions from a Kodak insert.

Ian

premortho
7-Dec-2012, 09:46
Ian: I've got three Voigtlander single plate hoders with sheet film inserts. 9X12 Avus. If you run across any more of these, let me know, as I need at least 1 more, and better would be three. Sadly, I can't tell what size film they take as the sheet film adapter seem to measure 3 1/8 X 4 3/8 where the film goes. I don't know if this is 9 X 12 film :confused: or 3 1/4 X 4 1/4 film. Appreciate any help you can give me. Jan
I'm on the case :D

In the summer I was give some 1/4 plate film adaptor inserts and then sold some film by the donor later the same morning, and yesterday I bought some metal to make some more, as well as some 9x12 size for myself and another member of this forum.

Ian

Steven Tribe
7-Dec-2012, 10:11
Finding 1/4 plate sheaths in old 9x12cm plate holders is quite usual. I have had NOS 9x12 holders which were sold with smart 1/4 plate sheaths and an extra spring locking mechanism. Now sold to another member.

premortho
8-Dec-2012, 09:49
Thanks for the info about the sheaths being for 3
1/4 X 4 1/4, but if anyone has any extra Voigtlander (I'm not sure if other makers film holders fit) film holders, for 3 1/4 X 4 1/4, I'd be interested in buying them.
Finding 1/4 plate sheaths in old 9x12cm plate holders is quite usual. I have had NOS 9x12 holders which were sold with smart 1/4 plate sheaths and an extra spring locking mechanism. Now sold to another member.

premortho
9-Dec-2012, 12:43
WELL, the plot thickens, or maybe thins!! This morning I decided to blow any dust, etc. out of my Voigtlander plate holders for my 9X12 Avus. After blowing them out, I decided to take out the film sheaths to check for dust behind them...and lo and behold, the backs are stamped Eastman Kodak Co., Rochester, New York...for 3 1/4 X 4 1/4 film. I now have three, I need 3 more, but I'd settle for one more. I rarely ever make more than 4 exposures a day. But it would be nice to have two more for 'that photo of a lifetime'.