PDA

View Full Version : Roll film for 2x3 Busch Pressman

Doug Wargo
3-Apr-2004, 12:33
I'm back with another dumb question about film for my recently purchased Busch Pressman C 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. Will any roll film backs work on this camera without modification? If so, which would be the cheapest way to go? If I could use 120 film (either in 6x6 or 6x9 formats) this would make the camera a lot more usable to me. The camera came with 2 Graphic Film Pack Adapters with some old Tri-X still in them, but I understand these are no longer available. I know, I should have bought a 4x5 Graphic, but we all make mistakes :>). Thank you all for putting up with what I'm sure are annoying "newbie" questions.

Bob Salomon
3-Apr-2004, 12:47
While not the cheapest the Linhof 67 Rapid Rollex will slip into any 23 camera.

We do have a demo one for sale which would mitigate the cost a bit.

Dan Fromm
3-Apr-2004, 16:03
Doug, I'm sure that Bob made you a great offer on a very fine back. But there's an alternative that's nowhere near so classy or, um, expensive. That's the Adapt-A-Roll 620. Read about it on www.graflex.org.

Cheers,

Dan

Doug Wargo
4-Apr-2004, 06:22
Thanks for the replies. Apparently, I should have been more specific with my question. I'm learning, please bear with me. The question probably should be: Will the Graflex '22' or '23' fit and work on the 2x3 Busch and are there any big drawbacks to using them? These are available somewhat reasonably and SEEM like an ideal solution.

Dan Fromm
4-Apr-2004, 09:51
Doug, thanks for the clarification.

Short answer. NO.

Long answer. Graflex made 2x3 roll holders to fit Graflok backs (two sliders to retain the holder, one above, the other below) and Graflex backs (one slider to retain the holder, above). With both styles of back, the focusing panel is easily removed to allow attaching the roll holder.

Your 2x3 Pressman has a spring (in Graflex-speak, Graphic) back that won't accept either type of Graflex roll holder. Don't think of using RB67 holders to shoot 6x7 on it, they fit Graflok backs.

Although the Pressman's dimensions differ from a 2x3 Graphic's, it IS possible to graft a Graflok back to it. Not a small job, and requires a Graflok back

Your best options are, in no particular order, accept Bob's offer, get an AAR 620, or give up on the Pressman and get a 2x3 Graphic with a Graflok back and get a Graflex-made back for it. If I were you, I'd get an AAR and not look back. I use 'em, so of course I'm biased. Bob represents Linhof so looks biased, but you're not the only potential buyer for his demo back and in fact he's trying to do you a favor.

Cheers,

Dan

Doug Wargo
4-Apr-2004, 10:41
Thank you all for your replies. They have all helped answer the real question: Should I keep this camera or try to sell it for the $90 I paid for it? My answer has to be to sell it and try to get into a 4x5 Graphic. The difficulties involved in the 2x3 are more than I will have the time, patience or money to deal with. It has been though a very informative experience and the knowledge gained should help me make a choice better suited to what I'm willing and/or capable of handling. You all seem to be fine people who have generously shared your knowledge and I really do appreciate all of your replies.

Wayne Firth
4-Apr-2004, 14:19
Doug, If you intend to use roll film and you like the compact size of a 2x3 camera then the Century Graphic is the camera to get. Make sure it has the graflok back (most, maybe all do). Then you can use any roll back Graflex or RB67 or Horseman. They are wonderful lightweight and versatile cameras.

Mark_3632
4-Apr-2004, 14:43
I realize this is not what you were looking for per se' but if you are thinking about getting rid of the pressman here is a possible suggestion.

Search out a Galvin. I thought about a busch pressman (I own a 4x5 version) and a graphlex. At the time I was playing with the Pressman and the graphlex I liked the solid feel of the pressman but the graphlex was more usable because the acessories are plentiful. Next to them on the shelf was a Galvin so I tried it for Shi!s and giggles. More expensive but I never looked back. I have had no trouble what so ever. Not even when it got stolen, had cheap wine and something even more stinky and corrosive dumped on it, then sat in the police evidence locker for 8 months. Not the best place for a camera.

In the beginning I thought I would not like the monorail design but the darn thing is great, and lighter than either the pressman or the graphlex. It breaks down for super easy hauling. You can use the Graphlex holders too. Lens boards are stinking easy to fabricate, so you do not have to worry about finding them or paying for them. You make them out of thin aluminium, a hole saw and flat black paint. I do not use it with wide lenses but I hear there are recessed lens boards availabe but are a pain to use, only draw back I guess. I'm a cheap SOB out of necessity and I have never felt bad about owning this camera. Mine was under 200 dollars about 5 years ago.

Just a thought

Dan Fromm
4-Apr-2004, 16:50
Y'know, Doug, you're much too easily discouraged.

Look on eBay and you'll be able to find a 2x3 Adapt-A-Roll 620 in decent order for, with luck, less than $60. Find some scrap 620 film so you have some spools and you'll be ready to go for much less than the cost of another camera and a nicer roll holder.

The thing to remember is that AARs will feed from 120 spools but must take up on a 620 spool. This means that you can take film out of the box, put in the the AAR, and go shooting. No need to respool. After you've shot, you'll have to respool the film back on to a 120 spool if you're going to send it out for processing. Labs in general don't return spools, and 620 spools are scarce. About respooling after shooting, that's what changing bags are for.

I use my three AARs in a Century Graphic (EVERY Century Graphic has a Graflok back) and a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic. They're practical, cheaper than anything else, and very cheerful. Had a 2x3 Pressman without a board, sold it because boards cost too much. Other than the difficulty/cost of getting boards, there's nothing wrong with the 2x3 Pressman. And its a little more capable than the Century Graphic.

Cheers,

Dan

Jo Lommen
24-May-2004, 10:14
To solve your problem with the use of the roll film back on the Pressman, please look at my site. members.lycos.co.uk/jolommencam/roll/page2.html it will tell you all you need to know to use the roll holder without altering your camera or yout roll holder.

Dan Fromm
24-May-2004, 11:40
Jo, the Pressman is not the same size as a 2x3 Graphic. Its been a long time since I checked to see whether a 2x3 Graflok back would fit the Pressman I used to own, but if I recall correctly the opening in the back of the Pressman is a little lower and somewhat wider than the opening in the back of a 2x3 Graphic. Are you SURE your procedure will work on a Pressman?

Also, please correct what your site says about the Adapt-A-Roll 620. These holders will feed perfectly well from a 120 spool but must take up on a 620 spool. So film does not have to be respooled from a 120 spool to a 620 to be used in an AAR. It does, however, make sense to respool exposed film back to a 120 spool because labs rarely return film spools and 620s are not that easy to find.

It is indeed possible to respool fresh film from a 120 to a 620 for loading in an AAR, but since the holder will feed from a 120 doing so makes, I think, no sense at all. Medalist, respool; AAR 620, don't bother.

Cheers,

Dan

Jo Lommen
24-May-2004, 14:10
Hello Dan,

I’m Dutch and English is not my nature tongue, so I easily can misunderstand your comment.
But I’m afraid we are talking about different things. While you’re suggesting I meant to use a Graflok back, I’m talking about the viewing hood.
I tried to make clear on my site, that it is really easy to adapt or mount a “23” Graphic Roll Holder to the back of a Graflex spring back, by unscrewing the viewing hood from the spring back and mounting a Roll Holder, using two home made clips. I tried that also with a Busch Pressman. After reading your comments, I instantly used my screwdriver and checked it out again. It definitely works! However I can’t check whether it is light tight or not, but I can’t see why not.
The clips need to be “tailor made” for the Pressman back. My Graflex clips don’t fit 100% properly, due to the position of the screw holes. It’s obvious that one has to experiment a bit to get to a satisfactory result.

As for your comment to the Adapt a Roll, I’ll check that also and correct these mistakes.

Thank you for your positive remarks.

Best Regards

Jo Lommen.

Dan Fromm
24-May-2004, 16:02
Jo, thanks for your reply. I'm sure your english is better than mine, since you learned it properly in school. On the other hand, any utterance by a native speaker is, by definition, grammatical.

I wasn't suggesting that you said anything about using a Graflok back. I clearly misunderstood your directions to mean "completely remove the back" but now I see that you mean "remove the focusing panel." That's very different.

Interesting and most useful news that the trick works with a Pressman.

Its one drawback is that when the focusing panel has been replaced by a roll holder focusing on the ground glass is unavailable. Not a problem for those whose camera has a rangefinder and who shoot only a normal lens at distances no closer than the RF can measure. A big problem for those who do macro work or want to use, um, abnormal lenses.

Cheers,

Dan