PDA

View Full Version : Mystery format kodak view#2

northcarolinajack
4-Dec-2012, 14:07
I just returned home with an odd size Kodak View #2 camera. When I saw a photo of the camera I was sure it was an 8x10. I agreed to the purchase, but when I pick it up I it was not an 8x10, or a 6 ½ x 8 ½. I have both film sizes. I did get one holder with the camera. I cut a sheet of paper that will fit the holder and the paper size is 6 15/16 wide and 10 ¾ long.
The camera does not have a lens board, but it is 9 ¼ wide and 6 3/8 long (top to bottom).
The camera is complete with rear extension and sliding block, but the bellows is shot.
I have not been able to find any info, does anyone know what I just purchased?
HELP

northcarolinajack

Jon Shiu
4-Dec-2012, 14:25
7x11

Roger Thoms
4-Dec-2012, 14:36
You can get film each year on Ilford's ULF special run. I'm going to have to get 7x11 Eastman 2D just to complete my set. I have 5x7 (needs bellows), 6 1/2 x 8 1/2, and 8x10. Are you planing on fixing up the camera and shooting with it?

Roger

northcarolinajack
4-Dec-2012, 16:36
Thanks all, and yes I plan to restore the camera and shoot it.
However, another question, what is the size of an 8x10 back.
It would be great to have a back for 8x10 and the 7x11.
If you have a Kodak 8x10 please measure the back (total outside) and let me know.

Jack

PS
I never knew of a 7x11 format.

Leonard Robertson
4-Dec-2012, 17:50
Jack - Here is a site with a picture of an Eastman 7X11:
http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/ekc/2d.htm
Yours may be an Eastman 2 with lighter color finish rather than the darker colored 2D shown. A couple of features distinguish it from the 8X10 2 or 2D. The weird rectangular sliding lens board you know about, and two "ears" on top of the front standard to hold the front track when it is folded up. The picture at the bottom of that page shows a smaller format 2D with a single "ear" in the middle top of the front standard. The 7X11 is noticeably larger and heavier compared with the 8X10 Eastman. The 7X11 has more slightly more bellows draw than the 8X10 version. The opening where the backs mount is larger on the 7Xll, so an 8X10 back for an Eastman 8X10 camera won't fit. I measured the back on my 8X10 Eastman and it is approximately 11 1/2" square on the outside of the back. The 7X11 back is about 12 3/4". It may be better to find an 8X10 back from any 8X10 camera and make a new frame to fit the 7X11 rear opening. There may be original 7X11 to 8X10 reducing backs out there in the world somewhere, but will be difficult to find. 7X11 film holders show up on eBay, but are often mislabeled as 8X10 holders.

Len

Jim Galli
4-Dec-2012, 18:09
Jack they were available with both backs, 8X10 and 7X11. None of the common 8X10 backs will work. The rear standard is bigger than normal 8X10 and smaller than 10X12. Sort of unique. One of the really nice things about these cameras is the 'ample' lens board size. It will hold an 18" Verito just fine, which the normal 8X10 cannot do. I'm restoring one also, and have an original one that is near mint.

Don't buy a bellows from the guy on Ebay in China. Don't ask. Will Whitaker used to have one with 3 backs. 810, 711, and 6585. The holders are kind of hard to find. Last new ones were 1923.

It's a neat format. The golden mean.

Annie M.
4-Dec-2012, 18:38
Superb format!!

I have both the 7x11 & 8x10 backs for mine. My 8x10 back is actually 2 pieces the actual back and an adapter 'frame' looks like a very simple build... let me know if you need some pics.... don't think you will want one once you try the 7x11... never use the 8x10 on mine!

Cheers & enjoy...

northcarolinajack
5-Dec-2012, 03:21
This is a great forum, always get good info. Thanks to everyone.
I am going to start work on the camera to bring it back to "like new" condition.
BUT, I would very much like at least on more film holder. I do have one, plus
2 extra dark slides, does anyone know anyone who perhaps could have a holder
or two.

Jack

Chauncey Walden
5-Dec-2012, 09:46
Jack, I had one of these back when. The lens board was made as a slider to permit the taking of 2 5x7 images on one sheet of 7x11 by centering the lens over each side. Notice the extra groove for the sliding film cover in the back. I never used it for 7x11 although if I still had it I would now as I would much prefer that aspect ratio. What I did to use it with 8x10 was add a 1 inch strip of wood as a filler to the left end of the back and get all wooden 8x10 holders and slice just enough off each long edge to fit the back. As I recall the image was 10 by a little smaller than 8 but larger than 7.