PDA

View Full Version : Bailey Range Traverse - Talk Me Down...

Brian Sims
3-Dec-2012, 17:18
I've spent 40 years hiking in the Olympics. I've climbed Olympus and hiked over Anderson Pass. The interior of the park is spectacular. I've seen many photos of the interior, but they are generally mid-day snaps while hiking through.

So here is my crazy idea. Spend a month hiking the Bailey Range Traverse. Spend 3-5 days at each camp in order to understand the area and wait for the right light. Shoot with my 4x5 (I have several friends willing to provision me with film, fuel, food, batteries, etc.)

Anyone ever try something like this before? Advice?

Heroique
3-Dec-2012, 17:44
I’ve hiked into the Olympics for 2-weeks, but my day hikes are just as productive...

Most people stand outside the Olympic range, and look up at it.

But if you hike up the mountains, you get to look back down! (This is looking North across the Strait to British Columbia.)

Have fun! :cool:

Tachi 4x5
Fuji Pro 160s
Fuji A 240mm/9
Epson 4990/Epson Scan

ROL
3-Dec-2012, 19:35
The best that can happen is that you'll have a great adventure with great pics. The worst that can happen is you'll have a great adventure. What's the crazy part? ;)

I wouldn't take LF into the backcountry without similar intention. But my own method is a bit more targeted when photography is primary. I plan trips for atmospheric conditions conducive to my style of photography, which ends with the goal of making my own darkroom GSPs. I generally hike during the maw of the day, planning camps for suitable shooting locations and timed for golden hours, morning and evening, keeping the schedule loose enough to take advantage of any prospect lighting conditions, no matter how long the lay–over requires. To that end, a book or too, or my new 6 ounce Nook baby – capable of storing an entire library – makes the time passed not shooting, beyond pleasant.

Jody_S
3-Dec-2012, 19:47
If it's on your bucket list, and you have the means to do it, you'd be foolish not to.

Peter York
3-Dec-2012, 20:07
I recently completed a 9 day backpack in the Wind Rivers with 4x5. I think staying at a locale for at least a coupe of days is a great way to go. I carry grafmatics and the smallest Harrison changing tent. Unless you have quickloads, I strongly recommend the extra weight (about 2 lbs) of the changing tent. Its worth it.

I envy you.

domaz
3-Dec-2012, 22:57
Sounds like a great idea for a trip, though I'm not sure I can fathom hauling a months worth of food and LF gear into the Olympics. Maybe you could cache food at some of the camps or have friends resupply you?

Darren H
13-Jan-2013, 13:13
Go for it! You only live once. If you have the ability and the dream, then you need to do it.

Kodachrome25
13-Jan-2013, 13:38
I recently completed a 9 day backpack in the Wind Rivers with 4x5.

I have been wanting to do that for some time, but the Grizzlies kind of give me the ebee-jeebees. How did you cope with that?

Eric James
13-Jan-2013, 14:14
I have been wanting to do that for some time, but the Grizzlies kind of give me the ebee-jeebees. How did you cope with that?

I spent eight days in the Winds two summers ago. We carried spray and food cans; hung our food, pans and garbage; cooked away from camp, and camped away from our hangs; we made noise when hiking in the woods, and had an awesome time.

Kodachrome25
13-Jan-2013, 14:22
I spent eight days in the Winds two summers ago. We carried spray and food cans; hung our food, pans and garbage; cooked away from camp, and camped away from our hangs; we made noise when hiking in the woods, and had an awesome time.

Thanks, pretty much the way it is where I live too. I ask though because we are starting to see changes in bear encounters as climate change kicks into the next gear. Even the relatively tame and timid black bears are starting to rip into tents with food far enough away from camps.

Grizzlies are a whole other level of bear encounter...

bob carnie
13-Jan-2013, 14:26
If your healthy enough and its something you would like to do I say go for it.

At 60 , I have let myself go a bit and a few of my clients do amazing crazy things like you are thinking and my goal is to get back in shape that
I can go with them on some adventures.

Bob

Peter York
13-Jan-2013, 14:30
Grizzlies are rare in the Wind Rivers, but black bears are common. Tying your food up or carrying a food can is necessary.

Drew Wiley
15-Jan-2013, 13:36
Hmmm ... I've never had any bear issues in the Winds. Maybe there are just certain known overused areas where they've developed a Yogi Bear culture, just like here in the Sierra. But every time I've seen em in the Winds they were minding their own business.
I'm scheming how to get another long hike in myself, since I'm well over 60 now and know
my days are numbered carrying 4x5 gear for several weeks on end. Food wt is the biggest
issue, so maybe I'll have to start carrying a fishing pole again; but that often conflicts with
the best time of the day (evening) for photog.

Peter York
15-Jan-2013, 15:07
Drew, I was in the Big Sandy Openings/Cirque area, which is very popular amongst anglers, climbers, etc. Black bears are quite common. Over 20 years ago one appeared just a few feet away from my mom as we were cooking our trout dinner. All I could say was "uh, mom, look behind you." After a long spell of pot banging, the bear relented and moved off, probably to another campsite. In the more rugged and remote parts of the range, I bet they are not an issue.

The fishing is still pretty good in the Big Sandy/Cirque area, and there are plenty of lakes to feed oneself from. 20 years ago, virtually every cast with a lure netted a bite or a fish.

I hope to explore that range fully over the next 20 years or so. It is my favorite.

Drew Wiley
16-Jan-2013, 10:08
I've haven't been in the Winds for awhile, and avoided the Lonesome Lk/Cirque area due
to its popularity. I once walked a week in the Winds without encountering anyone else. High streams would be at the top of my list for hazards there, not wildlife, though once I got pretty badly bitten by the horseflies that accompany bighorn herds midsummer. Same around here - one takes caution about stream crossing, lightning on peaks or passes, etc,
but bears and cougars are a non-issue. Now there are a few places in the Sierra where
bears have become a pest - namely, around Hetchy and Tuolumne Mdws, and Yos Valley,
and Kearsarge Pass - all places I avoid due to overcrowding anyway. Last yr I did have a
black bear right beside me in the willows watching me set up and take a 4x5 shot - I didn't
even notice him until I was done; and he had no interest in coming out from his cover.
They're pretty shy unless artificially trained to raid your pantry.