PDA

View Full Version : Film that was left outside

Noah B
2-Dec-2012, 20:28
Hey guys, I had a few boxes of Fuji Acros that got left outside in humid Tennessee heat for half of this past summer and into the fall. My question is, could the film decrease in quality since it was left out? It was sealed in a plastic container the whole time.

vinny
2-Dec-2012, 20:49
yes. it certainly won't be in better condition than new film.

Ari
2-Dec-2012, 20:54
Your film should be kept in a cool, dark and dry place.
Colour film is more vulnerable to degradation.

lenser
2-Dec-2012, 21:09
Noah,

The only way to know for sure is to take some images on a few sheets of this film as well as on some fresh out of the box new film. Do it side by side repeating with the same subject and lighting, then have it processed to gauge how much damage has been done. I would put money that the news will not be happy, but good luck.

BetterSense
2-Dec-2012, 21:27
It's probably fine. I keep a beater Canon SLR in the glove box of my truck. In the Texas summer it gets literally too hot to hold. I keep it loaded with tri-x and the film has always been fine.

Brian C. Miller
2-Dec-2012, 21:34
Test it. If the film has been in its sealed pouch, then very probably you will have no problems. I have left B&W 120 film in a hot vehicle for a summer, and I saw no obvious degradation. I've also developed film that I had sitting in a cupboard for five years, and it was fine. Some films, like Ilford Pan-F, need to be developed quickly. Others can go through a lot and be just fine.

Kirk Gittings
2-Dec-2012, 21:49
If you really think it might be toast-send it to me for final deposition :)