PDA

View Full Version : "KING" WP Camera? Anybody heard of this?

Cletus
2-Dec-2012, 11:11
I saw a nice WP (I think, could be 5x7) in an Albequrque antique store this morning. Needs a bellows, but otherwise looked pretty nice. Nameplate marked "KING" and I think some Eastman reference. Looks to be old, maybe 1900 or even earlier.

Anybody ever heard of this? Has a nice groundglass and very nice brass fittings and woodwork. $200. Needs a lensboard and bellows, but I'm not sure what it might be worth. I can try to post a photo, but asking if this name is familiar to anyone?

Cletus
2-Dec-2012, 12:24
BTW - the reference to the asking price for this camera is really not relevant to this question. Don't want this to end up in the classifieds. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this camera model...

Steven Tribe
2-Dec-2012, 12:25
Rochester Optical (ROC) from 1897-1903.
Sizes included both 5x7 and full plate, as well as 8x10 and 11x14".
English style field camera.
Plenty of internet images/brochure drawings.

Louis Pacilla
2-Dec-2012, 12:31
This was Rochester Camera Mfg. Co.'s top of the line (or only) folding field camera. Has a single extension and the rear end can be slid forward for wide angle lens work.

As far as price goes I think $200 for this camera without bellows or lens boards is pretty high. Keep in mind that the film/plate holders for this camera and most of this time are proprietary . If it does not come with holders they Can be tough to find.

From the 1895 catalog,

IanG
2-Dec-2012, 12:54
The major difference to British/English cameras of that era is it has a spring back, they did't become the norm in the UK until after WWII.

There was also a Houghton camera "The King" one of their line which included The Empress, The Queen, The Duchess as well as 3 different Victo's.

Ian

Cletus
2-Dec-2012, 14:32
Thanks all! Nice brochure with some great info too. I plan to let the guy at the antique store in on this, as he knew only that it was some kind of camera and nothing else. I brought my modern 8x10 in and showed him and he was duly impressed.

Anyway, doesn't look like "The King" will be added to my collection at that price and not worth restoring with a new set of bellows. I don't think this camera would fetch the $5-600 I'd need to make that worth while.