PDA

View Full Version : I've got a garage of darkroom gear and no idea of its worth

Cosh
2-Dec-2012, 00:45
http://imgur.com/a/igWvl

That's a gallery with a whole bunch of gear that a friend wanted to sell me for $500-1000.

I told him it's too cheap and offered to sell as much of it as possible for him.

Does anyone recognise any of the gear/know what it's worth/interested in purchasing?

I'm in NSW Australia.

Leigh
2-Dec-2012, 01:01
How can you tell him it's too cheap if you don't know what it's worth???

- Leigh

Lachlan 717
2-Dec-2012, 01:11
How can you tell him it's too cheap if you don't know what it's worth???

- Leigh

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

chuck94022
2-Dec-2012, 01:14
That's all old obsolete film photography gear. It is worthless. But I know there are some Aussie photographers here on the forum that are into recycling, and since some of this equipment is coated with dangerous chemicals, they will handle the hazardous disposal for you. I'm sure if you just pay the shipping costs they'll worry about the very expensive cost of disposal...

:rolleyes:

Vascilli
2-Dec-2012, 01:32
Mail it up to Canada and I'll give you $500. ;)

RawheaD
2-Dec-2012, 02:20
The Jobo CPP2 if in full working order could snatch up to 1K. If there are more Jobo tanks in that big carboard box, those could go for 50-150USD a pop, depending on condition and if they come with the reels etc. There seems to be an actual 4x5 camera with lens in one of those boxes, which could fetch 250-400 USD. The rest, I'd just sell as one huge lot to an enthusiast.

Cosh
2-Dec-2012, 02:20
Id appreciate a straight answer if any has an opinion on the value.

Kodachrome25
2-Dec-2012, 02:32

The guy above you gave you that straight up on it, the Jobo is worth something for sure, the 4x5 too and ultimately all of it to the right individual in OZ who would pick it up. You are going to have to dig into it though and see what there actually is, test the Jobo with water in it, etc...

Fourtoes
2-Dec-2012, 03:34
As RawheaD suggested, break it up into lots....

Enlarger,timer, easel, dev trays etc
That monorail camera
Jobo processor and tanks etc

If that was in the UK it would sell easily, as its in Oz I've no idea. Depends on condition and what you can show as working.

Ed Bray
2-Dec-2012, 03:37
The guy above you gave you that straight up on it, the Jobo is worth something for sure, the 4x5 too and ultimately all of it to the right individual in OZ who would pick it up. You are going to have to dig into it though and see what there actually is, test the Jobo with water in it, etc...

They both posted at the same time so he wouldn't have seen the post above his at the time of posting.

If the CPP2 is fully operational and in full working order with a late serial number it would sell in the UK for in excess of £1000, some bits are probably of little use these days such as the Durst RCP20 but as said it really needs listing and identifying for a realistic quote, we all know how much Jobo Expert drums go for each.

doublezero
2-Dec-2012, 04:06
HELLO ,

the enlarger durst , may be 100 usd depends of the lense

the camera is a sinar p , between 400 - 500 usd without the lense

Yes the best is making lots for each family of items

For the whole garage , may be 1500 usd
good luck for the sale

Cosh
2-Dec-2012, 04:26
The jobo needs a new clutch apparently, or needs to have the clutch tinkered with, as its reverse gear is a little slow.

I'll try splitting it up into families of items and see who is interested in what.

Andreas
2-Dec-2012, 04:34
Look at ebay's "completed items". Without doing that kind of homework, this community will think that you consider it a free marketing service. Welcome to the forum anyway.

Peter Lewin
2-Dec-2012, 07:24
As was suggested, there is so much equipment, you really need to catalog it. There are two enlargers in your photos, a Durst and an LPL, both good brands. I think the Durst is a medium format and the LPL a 4x5, although I'm not certain without doing some research on the Durst. The view camera in the box is a Sinar with a reflex viewer. I think it is a Sinar F but again cannot be positive. There seem to be trays for many size formats, I have to wonder if there are other cameras somewhere in the mix. So again, I believe there is a lot of good stuff there to sell, but it needs to be organized and listed. But what I can see should be worth more than the $1000 you mention in the original post.

Robert Langham
2-Dec-2012, 07:47
Here's exactly what I would do in your situation: I'd offer 300.00 and go as high as 400. Then I would piece it out bit by bit on ebay. You'll sell off the parts folks might actually want and need and the rest really is trash or something so obsolete that it can't be moved. You'll get your 300 back soon enough and probably end up grossing about 1200.00 overall. That's gross. Paypal and ebay will get their cut and you'll be in boxing and shipping hell for a while. At the end you will be able to upgrade your own equipment and find homes for the useful parts of this stuff. You'll have to be prepared to ship internationally, so be sure and list shipping charges worth the cost and trouble.

Sevo
2-Dec-2012, 08:04
The view camera in the box is a Sinar with a reflex viewer. I think it is a Sinar F but again cannot be positive. There seem to be trays for many size formats, I have to wonder if there are other cameras somewhere in the mix.

The camera seems to be a Sinar C with reflex viewer and 150mm lens. I can also identify small format Jobo drums and a box or two for third party 35mm SLR lenses, Olympus mount, so there might be another OM-whatever somewhere in the jumble.

The top of the enlarger looks very dusty, and some of the cardboard boxes look as if they had been wet at some time. If all the dirt comes off and the water damage was external only, the visible lot might be worth 2000€ (and there might be more hidden underneath). Of course, if the dirt should turn out to be mould or residues from a flood or fire, almost everything short of the Jobo tanks might be damaged beyond repair, and considering that the safe, legal disposal of the broken bits won't be free, you might even lose money if you spend a mere 200€ on it. YMMV.

Fred L
2-Dec-2012, 08:24
If that's a 3010 drum, figure around $400, give or take, for that. There's a box that has what looks like 15xx series tanks. If the box is full of them, I'd be guessing at least $75 per tank, depending on which ones they are. The CPP-2, if it was in good working order would, ime, fetch at least $1000. At least. Not sure if it might just need to be lubed to get it back to snuff. Even the Jobo bottles are worth a few bucks (check out pricing of new ones).

If you weren't a decent, stand up guy, you could buy it for $500 and part it out and make some money. But you're honest and telling your friend that the pile is worth more than what he's offered it to you and that's commendable.

If that was my pile and you offered to sell it for me (and got me more than what I offered you), I'd let you pick a couple of choice items for yourself as a token of appreciation.

Michael_4514
2-Dec-2012, 08:25
Whoever owned the gear was a serious photographer (notice the notes about changing the enlarger bulb). There's a lens on that Sinar monorail. Odds are it's decent glass, and it could well be worth the cost of buying the whole lot.

ImSoNegative
2-Dec-2012, 08:41
nice setup

jon.oman
2-Dec-2012, 09:37
If you have one of the 3000 series Jobo tanks, especially the 3005 or 3010, they could be worth $500 or more each.....

Kodachrome25
2-Dec-2012, 11:03
I'm pretty sure that is a 3010 drum in the white box on the right of the 4th and 5th picture down. I am looking for a spare so I have PM'd you on it. I passed on a mint one for $300 this past Summer and have seen them go for anywhere from $250-$500 depending on luck and condition...

jeroldharter
2-Dec-2012, 11:15
Assuming everything works:

The Jobo CPP with lift is easily worth $500.
I thought I spied a JOBO Expert drum - the big one that is all black. Those usually fetch ~$500 each depending on the model. Given the 4x5 gear, it is likely a 3010 or a 3006.
The Saunders 4x5 enlarger is worth $500 if you want one but they are difficult to sell. Could not identify the enlarging lens or lens boards.
Looks to be an assortment of other Jobo drums which have value.
Old trays and bottles have little value.

lenser
2-Dec-2012, 11:23
So what's in the big wooden mystery box with the clasps on it? Looks big enough to house an 8x10 system or lights.

Allen in Montreal
2-Dec-2012, 11:30

A year or 2 ago a photographer friend passed away. He asked that his darkroom gear did not go to junk.
It took me a long while and a lot of work to slowly sell off, at great discounts, all his gear to ensure it saw a second life.
Many here on the forum picked up 8x10 stainless film hangers for 2 bucks etc etc.

I think that may be what you have to do, just find a home for the gear at next to nothing, at quick glance, only the Jobo gear jumps out as "valuable".
Better to see it find a second life locally.

Cosh
2-Dec-2012, 12:14
Thanks for all the replies. I'll start cataloguing the gear and take some better photos of all the equipment.

There are at least 10 jobo tanks with reels on that big box and I know the lpl enlarger has a black and white head as well and three lenses.

All the gear is in great nick except the jobo which needs a little tweaking. I'm tempted to keep it myself for processing film at school.

Cosh
2-Dec-2012, 12:15
So what's in the big wooden mystery box with the clasps on it? Looks big enough to house an 8x10 system or lights.

That's a box which is custom made to house the sinnar.

Fred L
2-Dec-2012, 13:08
There are at least 10 jobo tanks with reels on that big box and I know the lpl enlarger has a black and white head as well and three lenses.

This may very well be worth $1000, again depending on which tanks and reels. If they're Hewes steel reels, that there's a goldmine ;)

All the gear is in great nick except the jobo which needs a little tweaking. I'm tempted to keep it myself for processing film at school.

I'd probably be thinking along these lines as well. Offer him a decent price for it and he'll still come out ahead of his original prices.

welly
2-Dec-2012, 15:18
Once you've catalogued it all, let me know what you have/want rid of as I'm in NSW and am in the process of setting up a small (non-pro) dark room in Sydney with a couple of guys. We might find some of that stuff useful.

Cosh
4-Dec-2012, 03:56
In addition to the Sinar (posted in another thread):

DURST M605 COLOR ENLARGER (2 ¼” square) and

LPL DIFFUSION MODULAR ENLARGER model 7451 (35mm to 4” x 5”) with 35mm, 6x7cm and 4’x5’ diffusion boxes, colour head and variable contrast b/w head, negative stages, wall mount brackets etc..

The following lenses shared between above enlargers..

50mm/f2.8 Rodenstock ‘Rodagon’ #8 888 118

80mm/f5.6 Schneider ‘Componon-S’ #13 254 165

135mm/f5.6 Schneider ‘Componon-S’ #12 533 893

JOBO CPP2 film/print processor with lift mechanism (some fault with clutch).

16 DuoSet 2502 reels (clean) (adjustable from 35mm to 120 film)

3/ 4”x5” reels and loading stand

2820 test drum (2x 35mm reels)

2551 drum (5x 35mm reels)

2521 + 2560 drum (8 x 35mm reels)

print drum equiv. to 2560 (allows 2 lots of 8 x 35mm reels to be processed consecutively)

1525 8”x10” print drom

3010 4”x5” film drum (10 sheet capacity).

4/ 2.5 litre containers and about 16/ 1 litre containers.

COLOR STAR 3000 COLOUR ANALYSER ( approx. 1990 vintage).

DURST RCP 20 (8“ wide paper processor) modified for high speed colour processing but needs external drive system.

AGFA Sodium Vapour colour safelight.

I've got some idea of the value of some of it, but other stuff I'm not so sure.

jars121
4-Dec-2012, 18:23
Once you've catalogued it all, let me know what you have/want rid of as I'm in NSW and am in the process of setting up a small (non-pro) dark room in Sydney with a couple of guys. We might find some of that stuff useful.

Cosh is a mate of mine Welly and he knows all about the darkroom haha.