PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me value this gear?

Cosh
2-Dec-2012, 00:43
Hey so a friend has retired and wants to sell his LF kit. Neither of us were sure of its worth.

The camera is a Sinnar C 4*5 (F front, P back)

Also has a 6*7 back

Lenses are all from the 70s I believe:

Schneider 75mm 5.6
Schneider 120mm 5.6
Schneider 180mm ??
Schneider Symmar Makro 180mm 5.6
Nikon 300mm APO

and another Schneider, possibly a 240mm. Going off memory here.

Comes on rails etc with darkslides and holders. Have one photo of the gear together.

Comes in a massive box that carries everything perfectly, custom made for it.

I want to get a good deal for this friend of mine. If anyone knows what it's worth or is interested in the whole or part of the kit please let me know.

Once I know what it's worth I'll advertise it for sale.

Cosh
2-Dec-2012, 00:49

Steven Tribe
2-Dec-2012, 02:13
Geography is important, because of postage/collection. The market value is very dependent on where the friend lives.
The last 2 lenses and the 6/7cm film back not usually part of a Sinar set.

ic-racer
2-Dec-2012, 08:53
This is pretty common stuff. Its value to a buyer will be based on the condition. You need to post a better description of the condition of the lenses and shutters etc. otherwise I'd assume it is mostly junk if I were to make an offer. This thread should probably be in the 'for sale' section.

Peter Lewin
2-Dec-2012, 10:13
Not to be a contrarian, but based on the photograph, the equipment is in very nice condition. Out of curiosity I did a quick forum search, and in November there was a Sinar P2 kit offered for sale for $1650, then reduced to $1600; of course I don't know whether a sale went through at this price, but it provides a benchmark for Cosh. The earlier kit had 3 lenses, rather than the 5 in this batch, and Cosh's box still seems to have more items in it, the bag bellows, and extra extension rail. (Both the earlier sale and this one include a roll-film back, I'm not expert enough to say if they are the same ones. If either were the vario model, that also adds value.) I suspect further searching on eBay and this site might find a few more data points to help value the set.

LargeFormatPhotography
2-Dec-2012, 10:22
So did you buy the kit yet?

big_ben_blue
2-Dec-2012, 11:00
there was a Sinar P2 kit offered for sale for $1650, then reduced to $1600; of course I don't know whether a sale went through at this price, but it provides a benchmark for Cosh. The earlier kit had 3 lenses, rather than the 5 in this batch, and Cosh's box still seems to have more items in it, the bag bellows, and extra extension rail.
The kit you're referring to, belongs to a friend of mine. It DOES include bag bellows and extension rail (check the pics in that thread). If the price is good or not, I don't know; but I thought it was (compared to fleahbay completed listings). Cosh's kit hat more lenses that may offer a bit more versatility on both the superwide and long end. The one thing I never liked with the Sinars were the F standards (used an F2 extensively during my college years), they can't compare to the P standards.

Alan Gales
2-Dec-2012, 11:31
I paid $600.00 for my Sinar P off ebay. It is in really nice condition except for the bubble levels are dried up as usual (I just use a torpedo level from the hardware store). The sale included a nice Schneider 210mm f/5.6 lens and an old rough looking but functional plastic Calumet case.

Sinar C's sell for a little less than the P's due to the more expensive front standard on the P's.

Hopefully this will give you a better idea on what it is worth. If I was selling it I would sell the camera by itself and the lenses individually. You will make more money that way.

Cosh
3-Dec-2012, 03:38
Ok so the details are as follows:

Sinar 4"x5" monorail camera (model 'C'_ F field front standard & P studio rear standard) with extention rail, wide angle & normal bellows, binocular reflex viewer (correct image). Also has Sinar 6x7cm roll film back and about 20 double dark slides (4"x5"). Approx. 1978 vintage but in very good condition with large custom made wooden box.

75mm/f5.6 Schneider 'Super Angulon' lens #13 660 816 (1975 approx.) in Copal 0 shutter (1/500 sec.) with centre filter.

120mm/f8 Schneider 'Super Angulon' lens #......... (1977 approx.) in Compur 0 shutter? (1/500sec.) with centre filter.

180mm/f5.6 Schneider 'Symmar-S' lens #13 796 624 (1977 approx.) in Copal 1 shutter (1/400 sec.).

180mm/f5.6 Schneider 'Makro-Symmar HM' lens #14 368 433 (1990 approx.) in Copal 1 shutter (1/400 sec.).

300mm/f9 Nikkor-M (apochromatic) lens (1990 approx.) in Copal 1 shutter (1/400 sec.).

If anyone can give me a lead on value then I can start advertising here :)

Steven Tribe
3-Dec-2012, 03:57
This
I can start advertising here will have to be in January as the commercial thread is only open to new members after 4 weeks.

RichardSperry
3-Dec-2012, 04:16
This will have to be in January as the commercial thread is only open to new members after 4 weeks.

Exactly. The board owners don't want you to be able to do what you are trying to do, sign up just to sell your stuff.

Btw, what's wrong with eBay for listing these items? Take nice photos of all the stuff(and clean off the grime) and list your auctions. Then you'll find out precisely what the stuff is worth, and I think it's much more now than I originally thought, and what other posters are suggesting.

I personally would like a couple of those lenses if they are bargained priced. Send me a PM if you're interested with a cheap 'buy it now' or when you post your eBay listings.

Ps, I'm still looking for a reasonable jobo 2905n and 25xx tank with magnet deal, if that's in that pile.

Cosh
3-Dec-2012, 04:56
I'd wait til January then, I've found that dealing with forum people is better than eBay people.

ic-racer
3-Dec-2012, 16:46
I'd wait til January then, I've found that dealing with forum people is better than eBay people.

In the mean time keep checking the For Sale area for similar items to get an idea of what people will pay. Also, if you want top dollar for the stuff, send the lenses for shutter CLA, otherwise you will be selling the stuff AS IS, unless you have a shutter tester.

Brian Sims
3-Dec-2012, 17:01
...and in the mean time, make sure all the lenses have front and back lens caps. It looks like they have been tossed in that plastic bin with all the rest of the gear. Is that an indication of how the gear has been treated? You'll want to examine the lenses and describe any problems such as scratches (not fatal unless their are a lot), fogging of any coatings, dirt or oil in the shutter, etc. You'll also want to be able to describe the condition of the bellows.

Cosh
3-Dec-2012, 19:36
No they've just been sat in there for a bit because he had them all out on display for me, then the kids got home so we put them in that box to take down to the big storage box.