PDA

View Full Version : Epson V700 accept a refurbished?

kevs-2323668
29-Nov-2012, 18:01
I mentioned here that a brand new V700 is giving me some weird blue marks. An Epson supervisor (in Philippines is offering a refurbished, but not a new replacement). The unit is four months old. If was defective out of the box. Would you settle for that? I know what refurbished is, but it could have a thousand hours of use on it.

PS, BH photo cannot do much, but they say, by email, Epson should make an exception.

Marc B.
29-Nov-2012, 18:21
You don't display your country of residence. Warranty language/rules/limits vary by country.
Either a new replacement, at little or no cost to you, or return for complete refund.

Marc

vinny
29-Nov-2012, 18:41
I think ep$on does that with most of the crap they sell. ask them to at least clean the glass first too.

kevs-2323668
29-Nov-2012, 19:15
Funny Vinny!

thanks Marc B. I'm in US. This guy at tech / supervisor said he would check with his higher ups and then called me back (I was out), and he left a voicemail, that he did not get approval for a replacement for a new machine, just refurbished. I had his email (and a case number), but he wont reply to my emails. I did email to him that this is ridiculous. Do you both agree it's worth fighting for a new machine over a refurbished? I can't get money back because I'm out of the 30 day period for that.

rdenney
29-Nov-2012, 20:13
Normally a warranty is for "repair or replacement, at the manufacturer's discretion", and it only covers "defects in materials or workmanship". As far as Epson is concerned, your scanner could have a thousand hours on it, too.

A reasonable alternative would be for them to actually repair your scanner and send it back to you. But that will take as long as it takes. That's what the warranty obligates them to do, though. Getting a refurb is a means of turning it around more quickly, but I think in your shoes I might still insist that they repair your unit and send it back to you. Normally, you will be expected to cover shipping--that's also part of the usual warranty.

It's a trade-off. The refurb will be in your hands more quickly, and you won't have to argue with Epson about what is wrong--they'll just refurb what you send back to them and give it to someone else in the same shoes. The alternative is that you wait for them to determine what's wrong, and then decide whether to repair or replace it for you. You may also run the risk that they want to argue about what's wrong.

I'm holding in my hands a hard disk I bought from New Egg, which was DOA. Yes, I'm having to pay $12 to ship it back to them. That's the risk inherent in mailorder, opposite the reward of the lower price. The alternative is to spend more in a brick and mortar store, so that if there is a problem, you can at least address the issue in person.

Rick "yes, it sucks" Denney

kevs-2323668
29-Nov-2012, 21:00
Thanks Rick,
yes I can ship it for repair to Culver city. (bit too far to drive for me) The round trip could cost $30 to $35 at least.
The refurb is easier, they pay both ways I think.
Based on the machine has been used very little, what would you do?.
Currently, I think I've done the scanning I need for this last project so I could probably be without it for awhile.
The guy in Philippines knows what is wrong as I sent him some photos, I could do the same with a repair shop.
And what do you think of refurbished?

rdenney
29-Nov-2012, 21:04
And what do you think of refurbished?

I bought mine as a refurbished model from Epson's discount store, if that answers your question, heh.

Rick "bought my 3800 printer the same way" Denney

Roger Cole
30-Nov-2012, 01:09
In your shoes, if I could do without it, I'd send it back to be repaired. If I couldn't wait, I'd take the refurb.

kevs-2323668
30-Nov-2012, 11:22
Rick, that does not answer at all because the refurbished come at a huge discount because it's been used massively. (I buy refurbished to sometimes and would have bought this refurbished if it had been out there)

I think Roger is putting himself more in the shoes of one who bought new.

BTW, if they did agree to send one new, how would know it was indeed new?

And do you agree the are being idiots not answering emails and just doing what is right?

Jim Andrada
30-Nov-2012, 14:47
It isn't at all uncommon for things returned under warranty to be repaired and used as replacement parts - I'd probably say it's the most common way of doing things. In the event a returned item isn't repairable, it might be broken down into component parts and the non-defective parts either used as is for product repair, or if the parts are valuable enough, being refurbed at the part level and then used as repair parts.

Also, "repair or replace" is normally at the maker's discretion unless there is some specific statement, contract term, or regulation to the contrary.

We make high precision mechanisms that our customer integrates into complete products and when one of their products is returned it is broken down into its major sub-assemblies and the failing part replaced with a new or used part and put in stock for use as a replacement unit. If our sub-assembly is the failing component it comes back to us and if it's within our warranty period to our customer we credit back the price paid for the component. refurb it, and resell it to our customer to be used for repairs. If the part is out of our warranty period our customer pays for the refurb activity. In our case our warranty period to our customer is shorter than their warranty to their customer. It's all very tricky and a lot of work goes into deciding the most cost effective mutual balancing of warranty periods based on analysis of field failure patterns. If the failing part is made by one of our suppliers and is sufficiently valuable, we have a similar process with our suppliers under which they warranty parts to us and repair/replace/refurb, etc.

rdenney
30-Nov-2012, 15:01
Rick, that does not answer at all because the refurbished come at a huge discount because it's been used massively. (I buy refurbished to sometimes and would have bought this refurbished if it had been out there)

I think Roger is putting himself more in the shoes of one who bought new.

BTW, if they did agree to send one new, how would know it was indeed new?

And do you agree the are being idiots not answering emails and just doing what is right?

What I meant was: No, I don't think refurbished units are likely to be unacceptable. And it wasn't a huge discount by any means, which reflects the only slightly higher risk.

I took your question to wonder whether refurbs represented an unreasonable risk, and I don't think they do.

But you can always send yours back for repair, if you can live without it for the time it will take.

Rick "thinking a new replacement is not something Epson is obligated to provide" Denney

Roger Cole
30-Nov-2012, 15:25
No, they're not obligated. It would be nice of them, though. Too many companies these days do only what they are obligated to do, and not what would be the best thing to do to build customer loyalty.

But if they are offering to fix it, take them up on it. And the worst that happens is they end up sending a refurb anyway because it can't be fixed or something and, well, the OP still gets a working scanner, after paying slightly more than a refurb would normally sell for. In the overall scheme of things, if that's the worst that ever happened to me, I'd be very lucky. IOW, I'd try to get it fixed if I could wait, but I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I did end up with a working refurb.

Greg Miller
30-Nov-2012, 15:57
I used to work with the refurbishing process for a major electronics manufacturer. The vast majority of the products flowing through the process were buyer's remorse cases and the product was never used. But everything went through many Q/A process with test jigs and manual inspection. Any minor cosmetic blemishes were repainted and I could never tell the difference between those and brand new. Any dents or deep scratches caused the case to be replaced. I never saw a unit leave the plant that didn't look brand new. Any mechanical parts that showed any signs of wear were replaced.

Receiving a refurbished product may not feel good emotionally, but from a practical standpoint you are receiving essentially a brand new product. There will be a sticker, however, that says "refurbished" so that could affect resale value.

kevs-2323668
30-Nov-2012, 19:07
What is your point Jim? !
ok roger/ greg. thanks.
Well it a lot easier to go refurb. they send the box and you just swap.

BH said they would conact them for me. I lean towards Rogers post about trying for repair.

I just got a refurished Nespresso coffee make a couple of months ago. also $500 machine. It looked new. But it did have problems a few months later. I just can't help think of wear and tear on reburbs, maybe I'm wrong.

Roger Cole
30-Nov-2012, 23:50
There's no guarantee that what Jim's company did was what they all do.

I too have had some stuff bought as refurbs just not last as long as I'd expect a new unit to last. I'd BUY a refurb, knowing that and with appropriate discount, but if I bought a new unit for new price and it didn't work properly - well I'd try to return it during the return period. Failing that, or if it failed just outside the return period, I'd do as I suggested above.

kevs-2323668
1-Dec-2012, 18:17
thanks.

C. D. Keth
2-Dec-2012, 23:35
Generally speaking, I'd rather have a refurb than new with electronics. You know every single individual scanner has been looked over by a real human being and certified to be working and looking as new. New products are just machine inspected and the company accepts a certain incidence of problems.

Brian Ellis
3-Dec-2012, 05:49
I think ep$on does that with most of the crap they sell. ask them to at least clean the glass first too.

LOL That Epson 1280 I bought about 9 years ago and that my wife uses every day sure was a piece of crap.

vinny
6-Dec-2012, 06:25
You guys talk of 6-9 years like it's ages. Maybe for electronics these days that's acceptable. My enlargers are 20-40 years old and i only replace bulbs when they stop working. My drum scanners (i bought two) are coming up on 15 yrs and cost me less than half of what my v700 sold for. And yes, the epson 3200 was a piece of crap.

kevs-2323668
6-Dec-2012, 11:23
thanks, would love someone to figure out what causes the marks.