PDA

View Full Version : How do you ????????????????????

ignatiusjk
27-Nov-2012, 18:37
How do you get up to Glacier Point in winter? I've seen several of Ansel Adams pictures from Glacier point in the winter and would love to get up there.

Dan Fromm
27-Nov-2012, 18:41
What is the matter with you ignatius??????????????????????????????????????????????

Is asking your question in the subject too much????????????????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????

ignatiusjk
27-Nov-2012, 18:48
What?

Dan Fromm
27-Nov-2012, 19:00
I suggest that no one respond to ignatiusjk???????????????'s questions until he asks them more clearly.

ignatiusjk
27-Nov-2012, 19:05
How clear do you need it to be? It's a simple question. How do you get up to Glacier Point in the winter.The road is closed by december first.So how else do you get up there.

Dan Fromm
27-Nov-2012, 19:21
Ask it in the post's subject. How do you??????????? gives no indication of what you're asking, doesn't save those who can't help you the trouble of reading your posts.

Jon Shiu
27-Nov-2012, 19:42
In winter, the road is used as a ski trail, but it is a long way.

Jon

Vaughn
27-Nov-2012, 19:50
Ignore Dan, he must be in a bad mood. (BTW, Dan, if you roll your pointer over the title, the first line of the post pops up. Usually enough info to decide to open the thread or not.)

When the Glacier Point Road closes, the back country opens up for backpacking and assorted snow sports, snow permitting. I backpacked from Wawona Tunnel to Glacier Point before the road opened one Spring, we were out for three or four nights. I took my Rolleiflex and 4x5 on that trip. But it is not a quick trip to Glacier Point from where the road stops at the ski area (Badger Pass). We hiked down to the Valley floor and to the nearest beer on the Four-Mile Trail. One might be able to go up that trail from the Valley floor to Glacier Point. LF and not a lot of air would make for an interesting hike!

There use to be a hotel up there, named aptly, Glacier Point Hotel. Built in 1916/17, it would have been up and running into the winter while AA was around and onwards into the 60's (burnt down in 1969). So I image they kept the road open as best they could all winter. Now you have to hoof it!

Vaughn

welly
27-Nov-2012, 19:55
I give up.Your nuts Dan.

On the contrary.

Look at posts throughout the various forum sections:

* New Chamonix in 3 months-ish
* How do you set shutter speed on Seneca Special 5X7?
* Fidelity Elite 8x10 Holder Issue
* Choosing an 8x10 folding camera
* Sinar P Question. Which 8x10 Standard Bearer is more sturdy?
* Price query regarding Kodak Ektacolour / Ektachrome, expired 1974
* Using film development to control contrast
* How to remove scotch tape residue from old negatives?

Whereas when we look at your forum posts:

* How do you ????????????????????
* Who's better???????????????
* Comparison question?????????
* Has anyone ever????????????????????

Do you not see the difference? Firstly, why the insistence of all the question marks and secondly, can you not see how putting your question IN THE SUBJECT makes for a. better responses and b. an easier life on the forum for all?

Either you're being intentionally stupid, intentionally a troll or you're incredibly naive.

Lachlan 717
27-Nov-2012, 20:40
Whereas when we look at your forum posts:

* How do you ????????????????????
* Who's better???????????????
* Comparison question?????????
* Has anyone ever????????????????????

Do you not see the difference? Firstly, why the insistence of all the question marks and secondly, can you not see how putting your question IN THE SUBJECT makes for a. better responses and b. an easier life on the forum for all?

+1. Or +2 if you include Dan's criticism.

Kirk Gittings
27-Nov-2012, 21:57
Frankly I agree with Dan. Your thread titiles are obtuse to the extreme and often times are started in the wrong sub-forums. Except for the Lounge the main forums are for questions relating to LF yet you oftentimes post questions about 35mm and DSLRs there.

I too would like to know what the problem is. Many people in your other threads have complained about it too.

What you are doing is actually contrary to the guidelines:
"Be sure to give a descriptive title to your question. For people searching or browsing the archives, a nonsensical or uninformative subject (like "Oops!", "Read this!", or even "Lenses") just makes it harder for people to find answers to questions."

John Kasaian
27-Nov-2012, 23:09
Contact Badger Pass. They run XC ski tours and you can overnight in the Glacier Point snack bar which morphs into a ski hut in the winter.

Nathan Potter
27-Nov-2012, 23:18
How do you get up to Glacier Point in winter? I've seen several of Ansel Adams pictures from Glacier point in the winter and would love to get up there.

Don't tell anyone - skimobile - fast and easy.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

ignatiusjk
28-Nov-2012, 15:21
Thank you Vaughn and Jon Shiu. That's exactly what I was asking.I was hoping there was a trail from the valley to Glacier Point you could use during winter. Thanks again for your help.

Jon Shiu
28-Nov-2012, 15:26
As Vaughn says, there is the 4 mile trail from the Valley, which is a 4 mile hike with several thousand feet of elevation gain, but I would assume you want to take pictures with a lot of snow on the mountains, so there may be some of snow and ice accumulated on the trail making it slippery.

Jon

Preston
28-Nov-2012, 17:29
Jon is correct. The Four Mile trail gets iced up in the winter, so a slip could prove very costly. One could also be the target of falling ice from above. I think the best bet is to ski out to Glacier Point from Badger Pass.

--P

ROL
28-Nov-2012, 17:34
Thank you Vaughn and Jon Shiu. That's exactly what I was asking.I was hoping there was a trail from the valley to Glacier Point you could use during winter. Thanks again for your help.

...except that the NPS closes it in the winter because it is so dangerous. You can ski out safely via the GP Road in the winter, which with a modicum of skill is much faster anyway (from one of your old threads (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?95255-Can-you-get-to&p=936675#post936675)).

I too would like to know what the problem is.

Well, I have a theory. Either ignatiusjk is an extremely immature young person or he/she seeks to end his/her own life in some dramatic fashion. I have tried to take the high road with this poster even though he seems to abandon and then repost his own threads, because I, as others here, have comprehensive experience that I feel more than qualified to assist him/her with. Yet, the nature of his/her questions seem to veer evermore to wilderness travel for which it is abundantly clear, he/she has no experience. I therefore suggest in all humility that ignatiusjk take classes with the Yosemite Mountaineering School, where I hope, he/she will avoid what I fear is inevitable, his/her own demise. Frankly, I have come to be so concerned at the prospect of his/her injury that I have feared complicity through participation, and will no longer participate in his/her '????????????????????' or '..............' threads.

Vaughn
28-Nov-2012, 20:29
When I hiked down the 4-mile Trail it was "closed", but this was many moons ago. There are definitely places one does not want to slip!

Other options -- take a wander up the Yosemite Falls Trail. One of my boys made it to Yosemite Point last February...but that was a light snow period. But just up to Columbia Rock, or a little farther for a look at Upper Yosemite Falls, would be nice. I made it up that far with the 8x10 -- but one of my boys carried all the holders and another of my boys carried my Ries...I carried it all down).

Turtleback Dome -- an easier walk than Yosemite Falls! An interesting look up Yosemite Valley with a nice view of El Capitan and Half Dome in the far back.

Peter Lewin
29-Nov-2012, 07:29
Only slightly off-topic: As an arm-chair mountaineer (kind of hard to be much else in suburban NJ) this has turned into an interesting thread! I still have the boots, ice axe, and other winter equipment in the garage, but have neither the youth nor air-ticket to get to Yosemite in winter (and maybe age has made me wiser). It also emphasizes why the vast majority of images in the "post your landscapes" forum come from those of you who live out West, while we Easterners tend to post urban landscapes, textures, and leaves! My congratulations to those of you who have the access, will, and most important, the skill to get your LF equipment out into those winter ranges!