PDA

View Full Version : Brett Weston exhibit - Albright University Freedman Gallery, Reading, PA

chassis
27-Nov-2012, 17:26
I stumbled into this exhibit in the midst of being set up. The official opening is on Thursday 11/29, and runs through January 13.

The emphasis is on Weston's abstracts from the 70s and 80s. Images of paint/metal, ice, water, wood, etc. These were the first Brett Weston prints I have seen; they have a style I am not experienced with.

It's a great (free) opportunity to see some fine black and white prints in a casual gallery setting.

http://www.albright.edu/freedman/

Mark Woods
27-Nov-2012, 17:44
A few years ago the Santa Barbara Museum of Art had an exhibition of Edward Weston's work and Brett Weston's work. It was a really good exhibition where I could really look at the differences of the men's work. I no longer confuse them.

ImSoNegative
27-Nov-2012, 22:24
i have only saw the prints online or in books, seeing them in person, im sure they are truly amazing.

Darin Boville
27-Nov-2012, 22:31
A few years ago the Santa Barbara Museum of Art had an exhibition of Edward Weston's work and Brett Weston's work. It was a really good exhibition where I could really look at the differences of the men's work. I no longer confuse them.

I saw that show. It was excellent. Not a huge fan of Brett's work but that show raised it a few notches in my eyes...they had a (hard to get) catalog, too.

--Darin

John Fink Jr.
28-Nov-2012, 08:02
Thanks for the heads up.

hmf
1-Dec-2012, 05:59
There is nothing on the Freedman Gallery website about the exhibition. Can you give me an idea as to how many prints are hung? I'd consider making the trip from suburban Washington, DC, but not to see just a few images.

Gerry Meekins
4-Dec-2012, 09:00
I requested some information about the show since there is not much mentioned on their website.
Here’s what Nancy Sarangoulis from the Freedman Gallery sent me.

“The show runs from November 27 through January 13. Gallery hours are Tuesday – Friday 10AM – 6PM and Saturday & Sunday 12PM – 4PM. I suggest that you call before you make the trip to the gallery to make sure it will be open. We will be closed for the holidays Dec. 24,25.26.31. and Jan.1. The gallery phone number is 610-921-7541 or 610-921-7715.
There are 48 prints in the show. These are part of our permanent collection of 199 Weston prints. Most of these were made in 1970-1980. The images consist of abstractions from nature – such are kelp and sand, lava formations, ice formations, details of skyscrapers, rust and metal, water and mud, etc”http://www.albright.edu/news/releases/nov/weston.html

Hope this helps,
-Gerry

David Tanner
28-Feb-2013, 09:32
Thank you all for these comments and your interest in Brett Weston and LFP. I just stumbled upon this forum and wished I'd known about it sooner so I could have promoted the Weston exhibition better. For those who came, I hope you enjoyed it. If anyone would like a copy of the short publication, I'm happy to send it to you. It has a few examples of Brett's work and an essay by Judy Ditner. We also have an older piece that is similar with additional photos that was produced for our exhibition in 2006. It includes an essay by our then-curator, Chris Youngs. Happy to send whatever you like - no cost. Just send your address to me via my email - dtanner@alb.edu. Thank you!