PDA

View Full Version : Can the Unicolor 352 motor base be used outside of the US?

Nathan Everett
27-Nov-2012, 16:19
Hi everyone,

First post - just made the move to LF and hoping to get your help in ironing out my setup :)

I've been looking at getting either the Unicolor 352 or Beseler motor base to use with my Jobo Multitank as 1.5L of chemistry for inversion processing seems such a waste, but wanted to be sure that it'd work in Australia before doing so. My concern is that plugging it in here will fry the motor as we run on 230V @ 50Hz (same as the UK and Europe), not 120V @ 60Hz (US) for which it was designed. I've done a heap of searches to try and find an answer but haven't been able to do so, and was hoping someone here might be using one outside of the US and could give me a yes/no or any pointers.

Cheers
Nathan

vinny
27-Nov-2012, 17:11
if an item says 120v and you plug it into 230v, you'll fry it regardless of what it is.
get a transformer (search ebay) and you should be fine.

koh303
27-Nov-2012, 19:28
I wish check if the motor base i have can handle dual cycles, and report back.

Steve Smith
27-Nov-2012, 23:35
I don't think the 50Hz vs. 60Hz will make much difference. You just need a step down transformer.

Steve.

andreios
28-Nov-2012, 00:21
I use an american Beseler base with a simple transformer in Europe with no problems. I coudn't find the info about the frequency that should be used with the rotary base, but I was told by a sales-person that the frequency might change the speed of the motor - but that it shouldn't do any harm. I trust it, but I admit I know almost nothing about electricity. :)
(I also use an epson printer the same way, no problems as well, but according to the technical sheets it is made to be use with frequences 50-60Hz, just on lower voltage.

Len Middleton
28-Nov-2012, 04:01
The 240Vac to 120Vac step down transformer will take care of the problem of frying the motor.

However your motor base will run about 20% slower i.e. difference in frequency divided by design frequency.

Ed Bray
28-Nov-2012, 06:22
I have bought many electrical tools from the US to be used in the UK, I use them from a Contractors 110V Transformer (like this) (http://www.screwfix.com/p/portable-transformer-with-2-output-sockets-3kva/84144) but as stated the motor will run a bit slower (not too much of an issue normally) but for Rotary Processing the slower can be better.

Nathan Everett
28-Nov-2012, 15:29
Thanks everyone for the replies, appreciate the input. I'll pick up a step down transformer from my local electronics store; I was a little worried about burning out the motor as they tend to be a tad pricey once postage to Australia is included!

Jiri Vasina
29-Nov-2012, 12:33
My father modified the insides of my Unicolor - he designs electronics and industry computers for living. He said it needed to be adapted, would fry if plugged directly in our European electrical network.

Bill, 70's military B&W
2-Dec-2012, 21:40
Nathan, a step down transformer will work, BUT you have to be sure to get one that will handle the correct number of watts or amps. The inexpensive ones will just immediately blow the fuse, and rightly so. You have to match the transformer for the amps you will be using.
Been there and done that.
Bill

Nathan Everett
15-Dec-2012, 22:41
Thanks for all the replies; I ended up buying a 500W step-down transformer and a Beseler motor base and had it all delivered last week - just tested and it all works great. Appreciate your time and help!