PDA

View Full Version : voigtlander&john wien braunschweig I no.22341

bataserb
27-Nov-2012, 12:14
Hi guys, i am new and you have great webbforum. I have a guestion,few days ago i found this lens and i am interesting to sale. what is the prize of this lens on market. thanks if anybody can help.

voigtlander&john wien braunschweig I no.22341

Jim Galli
27-Nov-2012, 12:24
Not enough information to help you. Measure the rear glass diameter and report. BTW the j is an s as in Voigtlander and son. Photos are helpful.

Louis Pacilla
27-Nov-2012, 12:52
we'll need far more info to help you identify your lens. You'll be best served to add decent digital photos of the lens. If not, you'll need to describe the lens much better if you expect much help .

I can tell you it dates around 1878 according to Dan's site.

Wait your 30days then put it in the for sale section of the forum.

If you really want to know the value of your lens you need to list it on eBay with decent photos, do a 7 day auction w/ no reserve and DO NOT TAKE OFFERS .

bataserb
27-Nov-2012, 13:23
this is it.

Jim Galli
27-Nov-2012, 13:42
this is it.

Early version Series IV Euryscop size 1. It's an 8 1/4" focal length. Good for 4X5 and half plate sizes. If the glasses are excellent, worth perhaps $185 without the flange that it screws into. With the original flange add $35.

Steven Tribe
27-Nov-2012, 14:15
Sorry, I disagree Jim.

The number is a Roman I and this is very early in the development and sale of Euryskops/RR which continued up to around 30,000.
If it is a series IV size 1, the front glass will have a diameter of 1 1/2" and will cover 7x9" (full plate size). Check the focal length, which as Jim says should be 8 1/4" if it is the F6 series IV.

Jim Galli
27-Nov-2012, 14:40
Sorry, I disagree Jim.

The number is a Roman I and this is very early in the development and sale of Euryskops/RR which continued up to around 30,000.
If it is a series IV size 1, the front glass will have a diameter of 1 1/2" and will cover 7x9" (full plate size). Check the focal length, which as Jim says should be 8 1/4" if it is the F6 series IV.

We're ball parking here. 35mm wide glass is f6 @210mm. 7X9 is a stretch. Trying to err on the side of conservatism, something rarely seen when it hits Ebay.

Bob Salomon
27-Nov-2012, 18:02
Shouldn't that be Sohn (son) and not John?

Jim Galli
27-Nov-2012, 18:23
Shouldn't that be Sohn (son) and not John?

I pointed that out in #2 above. Ebay searches would probably find more with the 'j' though. It's a common mistake.

bataserb
27-Nov-2012, 19:22
yes its sohn my mistake,and how to check the focal length?

Jim Galli
27-Nov-2012, 19:27
yes its sohn my mistake,and how to check the focal length?

If you have a bit of frosted glass, take the lens out and aim it at the moon. Focus the moon on the glass behind the lens. Measure from the waterhouse slot in the center of the barrel, to the glass. That's it.

Steven Tribe
28-Nov-2012, 01:59
The way I do it (assumming you don't have another known focal length to compare it with!) is to have the lens indoors, stand by a white wall that is opposite a well lit window. The adjust the distance of the lens until the image of the window frame is sharpest. This is not the focal length, as this is measured at infinity!
Try and focus on a distant cloud, tower or tree. The focussing distance is much less than to the window frame. The distance from the iris/Waterhouse slot to the wall when the cloud/tower is sharpest is the focal length of the lens.

Didn't see Jim's answer - was lurking on page 2! Now you have two methods - day and night.

CCHarrison
28-Nov-2012, 04:37
I typically use an emptied, cardboard paper towel tube (or toilet paper tube or wrapping paper tube depending on length needed), cut it in half, slide one half on to the other to create a sliding tube (to vary length), using frosted scotch tape - I tape up one end of the tube to create the "ground glass" and then stick the other end of the tube against the rear lens element and focus the lens on some far away trees. Slide the cardboard tube until the image is in focus and voila - measure from the "ground glass" to the rear element for back focus and measure from the "ground glass" to about half way up the lens barrel for focal length. Cheap, easy and measurements are pretty dang accurate.

Dan

E. von Hoegh
28-Nov-2012, 08:11
We're ball parking here. 35mm wide glass is f6 @210mm. 7X9 is a stretch. Trying to err on the side of conservatism, something rarely seen when it hits Ebay.

Which it will do shortly, and the OP will never be heard from again.

Jim Galli
28-Nov-2012, 09:15
Which it will do shortly, and the OP will never be heard from again.

Quite sure the OP is hoping someone will PM him and say, how much is that doggie in the window. ;)

E. von Hoegh
28-Nov-2012, 10:09
Quite sure the OP is hoping someone will PM him and say, how much is that doggie in the window. ;)

Yep.

bataserb
28-Nov-2012, 11:01

what you like to say gays? I am from Serbia and my english is not very good. :)

E. von Hoegh
28-Nov-2012, 11:16
what you like to say gays? I am from Serbia and my english is not very good. :)

Don't apologise for your English. It is much better than our Serbian.
We're speculating that your request for a valuation on the lens you have is 1) a veiled offer of sale or, 2) a prelude to placing the lens on Ebay.

Steven Tribe
28-Nov-2012, 14:32
I understand that Paypal is not available for Serbian residents, which makes ebay trading difficult - if not impossible. Or it means that Serbs have to "devise" methods of intermediate dealing through neighbouring countries. So the ebay "linkage" may not be true.

You can list in the For Sale section after 4 weeks, but payment will be difficult!

bataserb
3-Dec-2012, 08:03
Don't apologise for your English. It is much better than our Serbian.
We're speculating that your request for a valuation on the lens you have is 1) a veiled offer of sale or, 2) a prelude to placing the lens on Ebay.

Ok I like to sale but I dont no the prize,i like to hear your opinion. My opinion is, value of the 200 usd is small.

Steven Tribe
3-Dec-2012, 08:50
If this is a series IV no.1 (likely), then the value given earlier is about right.
I bought a series IV no.2 within the last year for just that amount.
The 1,000's of USDs you may see in some completed sales (and many more no sales!) listings on e**y, soft lens sales register here, are either for much longer focal lengths (greater coverage/ULF), more uncommon, or "cult" lenses.
When you have been a member for a month, you can list in the FS section. It doesn't cost anything, but you have to put a price on it. You can agree another price (lower!) through PM system - or adjust the price down over days/weeks like a Dutch auction!

bataserb
3-Dec-2012, 09:26
how to check the diference?

bataserb
3-Dec-2012, 09:29