PDA

View Full Version : Eye of the beholder

Robert J Cardon
30-Mar-2004, 14:19
This post considers how we deal with the various reactions our images receive (assume a noncommercial context). I suspect we all have some favorite images which are technically and aesthetically good, yet they fail to illicit a favorable response when shown to others. Now obviously the background and preferences of the viewer come into play. In general terms, I've noted that those unfamiliar with photography almost always react more favorably to color than to B&W. With the latter, images with eye-popping contrast are the ones people respond to. When the viewer knows B&W, what he or she is looking at, they will comment on the print quality, appreciating good prints, but still may not be to enthused about your favorite images.

So how much stock do you place in the opinions of others, their reactions, in terms of evaluating your content and technique, especially when your creative satisfaction doesn't necessarily please others. Do you press ahead, striving to please only yourself, or do you brood a bit with wounded pride? In other words, how important is it for your work to be favorably received by photo colleagues, and then by friends, family, even strangers?

RJ

Donald Miller
30-Mar-2004, 15:18
How can a person's self expression be genuine when one is trying to conform it to the tastes of others?

Francis Abad
30-Mar-2004, 15:31
Comments on subject matter, and to some extent, composition, as both relate to vision, is highly subjective and is really a function of tastes, biases, culture etc. If I am lacking confidence in these issues I would seek the advice of someone who I trust and who I know will lead and not teach. However, objective issues related to printing technique (highlight and shadow detail, even tones, nice gradation, etc.) are something I listen to when coming from someone whose work I admire and respect. Technical proficiency seems in most cases to be positively correlated to the number of years practising the craft.

I learn from my mistakes. There is nothing more enjoyable than looking at a botched print side by side with one that is a true expression of this craft.

Chad Jarvis
30-Mar-2004, 15:34
I think that over time every photographer learns that just about any crtiticism can be good criticism. It's all a matter of how thin your skin is.

Jim Galli
30-Mar-2004, 15:38
I shoot and print to please me. Affirmation is where you find it. Every once in a while someone will get a foot away and say "holy cow". I dismiss the rest. Mostly. If someone I esteem like John Sexton or Al Weber had a constructive comment, I'd be all ears. When someone from the local chamber of commerce says too bad they're not in color...........well......

Jon Paul
30-Mar-2004, 15:43
RJ- This answer will vary widely by individual. If you are selling images (need to pay for food, rent, etc. with them) it is important to worry about what other people think. If you are shooting for your own pleasure exclusively, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, unless you are displeased with the result and wish to learn how to improve what you are displeased with.

Regarding other photographers opinions...we could talk about it all day. Along with the few that truly want to help, most are harshly critical. This comes from several things: -They are very technical (and anal) and wouldn't/couldn't enjoy a photo based on its artistic merrit. Most of these people can take a technically strong photo, but it has no "life". -They are lacking confidence or pride in their own work and rip other peoples work apart to feel better about themselves. -They may be "good", but are frustrated that they can't make a living selling their art due to difficult business climate, laziness, or a fear of taking the risk to make it happen (Starving artists).

Now that I'm past the generally accepted "photo world", it sounds as though you are an artist. pursue what you enjoy. People gravitate toward subject matter they can relate to. They may enjoy the least technically strong image simply because it reminds them of something special. Personally, I try not to overthink my images, which others may or may not like, and let things flow. I then try to learn from the resulting images and continue the process.

i hope this is of some help.

Enjoy your work,

Jon

Gem Singer
30-Mar-2004, 15:51
Hi Robert,

It seems to me that if your photographic creations give you satisfaction, but do not please others, you are going to experience difficulty trying to market those creations. I, personally, don't place much stock in the opinions of others, when it comes to my photographs (except for my wife and kids). However, it's been a while since I sold a photograph.

If you need to sell your photographs in order to put food on the table, it will be necessary to make photographs that others find pleasing. In the words of an anonymous Roman wise man: "Non illigitimum carborundum" (don't let the bastards wear you down).

David Richhart
30-Mar-2004, 17:56
The Rick Nelson song "Garden Party" sure comes to mind here.

I have a black and white photograph of white roses that I have put in several shows. I have often heard comments about "why would anyone want to take a black and white picture of roses?". My good friend, who is also a photographer, does not like the photo. I really do not like the photo. It is an average photo at best and not really technically well done. But I did a super job mounting it in a fancy mat and gold frame and it has won me money and ribbons for the past 2 years.

My photographs that I think are good images and well mounted in museum quality frames and mats don't even get accepted into the same shows...

I guess I just need to buy more gaudy gold frames???

Bruce Watson
30-Mar-2004, 19:44
how important is it for your work to be favorably received by photo colleagues, and then by friends, family, even strangers?

Not at all important. They can like it, hate it, whatever.

Why, exactly, should I care what other people think?

John D Gerndt
30-Mar-2004, 20:06
I would write you my response in length but I believe it is so similar to the practical advice of David Vestal from Photo Techniques that I must bow to his (grin) published article: The Case for Obscurity, September/October, 2002.

Photography is largely a solitary occupation and I use that term occupation, loosely. Pleasing someone is also largely a solitary (and thankless) occupation. It makes more sense to emulate those you admire than to get other to admire what you do and all this is far less rewarding than finding and doing what pleases you. It is a tough assignment, but only you can do it.

Good Luck,

Ben Calwell
31-Mar-2004, 06:26
Robert,

I'm learning more and more to just shoot to please myself and to not worry if others don't think I'm Edward Weston. But it's hard sometimes. It takes courage to like your own work. A well known photographer once told me that my black and white prints were flat and that "the print color was all wrong." He didn't throw me a bone on anything. I thought, what in the world is he talking about -- they look fine.

Leonard Metcalf
31-Mar-2004, 06:58
Photographs that I feel very passionately about, and describe as my favorites usually get no response from others. I regularly survey people with my photographs (strictly for comercial purposes) and often am very suprised by which photographs are picked by people as their favorites. I am sometimes even horified by their choices. Some I could pick and others seamingly come from knowwhere.

But deep down in my heart I know that the ones that are special to me, will always remain special. I think it is important to have ones own favorites. I jokingly tell my friends that these will be the ones in the museum when people finally grow enough visually to see there beauty and I am long past gone. This helps with the thick skin.

How important is the opinion of others? It will depend on your own personality. Many right brained people wouldn't give a toss what others think, while to many left brained people others opinions are very important. Me, I have quite a strong leaning to people, opinions and accolades (praise - sorry spelling isn't a strong point). So getting the photographs "favorably received by photo colleagues, and then by friends, family, even strangers" is very important to me. But I also know that my favorite work is unlikely to be appreachiated - well that is what experience has taught me so far.

Steve J Murray
31-Mar-2004, 08:03
Just to add to the chorus: I've never paid much attention to any negative opinions of others regarding my photos. If I really like something I've done, its up the them to figure out why its good, and if they can't, I can't help it. Sounds a little arrogant on my part, but I think any artist in any field has to stand up to the people who want to would restrict them to a certain "catagory" and then criticise them if they pushed beyond that catagory. Duh!

CXC
31-Mar-2004, 08:51
As the original photographer, it is hard to avoid tinting your work with memories of the process and circumstances of shooting it. Another set of eyes can see what you produced, instead of what you intended, or experienced. If it matters to you that your results fulfill your aims, then the comments of any thoughtful, discerning viewer are necessarily informative and useful.

Jay DeFehr
31-Mar-2004, 12:52
In my experience, people react more to the subject matter of my photos than the quality, or lack thereof in the work. Maybe that says something about the quality, or lack thereof in my work. Sometimes I'm surprised at the way people react to one photo or another, but I don't place too much importance on it. I think the reasons people react the way they do is too complex for me to try to analyze, and is of no use to me in my work. In short, it's sometimes curious, but rarely important.

Barry Trabitz
31-Mar-2004, 16:13
Interesting topic, it raises the question in my mind "why do I photograph?" Yes I do it to please myself but what does that mean. On reflection, I am trying to say something about the subject and what my interpretation of the what the subject represents. In essence I am attempting to communicate something of myself.

If viewers respond with their own interpretation the work still succeeds by eliciting a response. This goes beyond someone saying "I like/hate it" "it's too dark/light/, large/small, no color/too colorful."For example, the work of Dianne Arbus comes to mind. According to her writing she developed a great deal of empathy for many of her subjects, believed she was portraying them in such a way as to reveal how warmly she felt. My response to her work is one of loathing. I see many of her images as cruel, heaping scorn on those unfortunates. She certainly precipitates an emotional response from me. Quite different than her stated aim. But that is the power of her art. It elicits an emotional response in a viewer

For myself, technical criticism is always welcome from informed sources. If someone who has never attempted to print an image to discuss technique is silly, but that same individual can certainly have a very valid opinion of the piece in question.

Graeme Hird
31-Mar-2004, 20:00
Shoot for yourself, but be your own strongest critic. Then show others only your best prints.

Having said that, there is nothing better than having a complete stranger walk through my gallery and offer a two word critique: "F*cking Excellent!!" (This happend to me last Saturday and I was floating for the rest of the day.)

Cheers,

Ralph Barker
1-Apr-2004, 07:03
While praise is always reassuring, I'm always interested in hearing about what people don't like, as well. Then, I try to avoid the terrible "Yes, but . . ." syndrome. ;-)

Everyone has to strike their own balance based on personality and objectives. But, to the extent that "communication" is part of the artistic objective, feedback from the intended audience is always helpful, I think. The trick, I suppose, is not to obsess over individual opinions, but consider the trends.

Tom Johnston
2-Apr-2004, 19:24
I shoot to please myself and, fortunately, the result generally pleases others as well. However, as you now, there are many people who just have no sense for photography or any art, for that matter. For example, I photographed and incredibly run down (and beautiful) blues club in Clarksdale, Mississippi several months ago. (Ground Zero - owned by the actor Morgan Freeman). The torn up old sofas and battered chairs on the porch, etc. Almost everyone oohed and ahhhed when they saw the large format photographs. A radio station contacted me wanting to use them for publicity. But when I showed them to one guy, he said, "This is probably a dumb question, but why didn't you shoot it in color?" I wasn't concerned a bit with his comment. I already knew that he was insensitive to photography to the point of being virtually blind.

Unless you are shooting for a client, it's futile to shoot to please others in general. Besides, who in particular would you want to please .... everyone's taste is different and when you please one person, you will displease someone else. For me, the answer is simple: Shoot to please myself and hopefully please others as well. Besides, we photograph things that we are attuned to best. If I'm shooting in a style that I don't have feelings for, the pictures will show that. To me, the purpose of photography is to express myself and make images that I think are beautiful and interesting. When you shoot simply to please others, you might as well stop shooting altogether.

Undoubtedly, you are a very good photographer or you wouldn't be posting in this forum. Have faith in your own taste and don't try to find a lowest common denominator to please the most people. Only when you do that will your work be at it's best.

Just my opinion.