PDA

View Full Version : Sprucing Up a Kodak Master View 8x10

Ari
26-Nov-2012, 11:59
Hi,
I'm considering the purchase of a KMV 8x10; I have it with me for a few days so I can bang out some shots and get a feel for it.
It seems to be a fine camera, lots of movements, etc. but it is showing signs of age.

The rear standard wobbles a little when locked down; there is some play.
The front tilt can be engaged even when the knobs are securely tightened.
The focusing (rear standard only) feels coarse and quite primitive.

At this point you might say "Welcome to the world of Kodak 8x10 cameras!" but I'd like to know if these minor issues can be fixed.
I was thinking of some rubber washers to help tighten the various screws on both standards and some kind of dry lubricant for the focusing track.

Anyone care to proffer their past experience/expertise in re-working these fine cameras?
Other tips or tricks?
Any special mods you've done?

Despite its age and the kind of use it seems to have undergone, I like using it; and it folds up rather neatly.

Thanks in advance.

Henry Ambrose
26-Nov-2012, 13:33
I used the spring clip that held my dark cloth in place to take some of the wiggle out of the back. And on any old view camera, the bellows is always suspect. You might want to search for an owners manual and parts blow-up to see if all the parts are there under the adjustment screws. I think I remember there are some hard fiber washers in there somewhere. Other than that I'm saying: "pretty much leave it a lone and go make pictures."

Daniel Stone
26-Nov-2012, 15:07
Hey Ari,

I'm goin thru my KMV right now, replacing all the bellows-retaining hardware with new screws, nuts, etc... I've ordered a new set of bellows from Custom Bellows in the UK, they should be arriving soon. Other than those things, I've found that the following things help aid in getting the best pictures possible with my KMV, some are more just simple maintenance:

1. Use an $1-2 A clamp to secure the rear standard when doing final focus and lock down prior to inserting the film holder(see picture below)
2. If needed, replace the light trap velvet. The search function here will turn up some threads dedicated to this topic, some in the past few weeks.
3. I've not used ANY 'lubricant', dry or wet, on the focusing track or on the extension bed. I just cleaned the rear track with a very stiff bristled old toothbrush I keep in my toolbox, and did the same thing to the front extension sliders.
4. Get out and make pictures :)

Michael Kadillak
26-Nov-2012, 17:18
A few years back I acquired a beat up Kodak Master View and decided to do the same thing. After all of the replacement parts, new bellows a new handle was acquired at a leather shop, I decided to disassemble the camera completely and give it a complete re-do. I did some research and found a spray paint wrinkle paint replacement that only came in a black finish and could only be applied at over 70 degrees F and sure enough it wrinkled just like the original finish and looked brand new. I also had a schematic of the parts that helped as well.

I still have a can of the paint in the basement if it is of interest. Have fun as it is great to see how it all turns out.

Ari
26-Nov-2012, 20:33
I used the spring clip that held my dark cloth in place to take some of the wiggle out of the back. And on any old view camera, the bellows is always suspect. You might want to search for an owners manual and parts blow-up to see if all the parts are there under the adjustment screws. I think I remember there are some hard fiber washers in there somewhere. Other than that I'm saying: "pretty much leave it a lone and go make pictures."

Thanks, Henry. The bellows seem fine on this camera, overall it's in decent shape.
I have been shooting it, and if I buy it, I'll likely take it apart and clean it nicely.

Hey Ari,

I'm goin thru my KMV right now, replacing all the bellows-retaining hardware with new screws, nuts, etc... I've ordered a new set of bellows from Custom Bellows in the UK, they should be arriving soon. Other than those things, I've found that the following things help aid in getting the best pictures possible with my KMV, some are more just simple maintenance:

1. Use an $1-2 A clamp to secure the rear standard when doing final focus and lock down prior to inserting the film holder(see picture below)
2. If needed, replace the light trap velvet. The search function here will turn up some threads dedicated to this topic, some in the past few weeks.
3. I've not used ANY 'lubricant', dry or wet, on the focusing track or on the extension bed. I just cleaned the rear track with a very stiff bristled old toothbrush I keep in my toolbox, and did the same thing to the front extension sliders.
4. Get out and make pictures :)

Hey Daniel,
Thanks for those tips. Did the wire brush help w/focusing smoothness?
My focusing feels like sandpaper, though it does lock down very well.
And yes, I have been making pictures, thanks. I will decide next week whether or not to buy the camera.

A few years back I acquired a beat up Kodak Master View and decided to do the same thing. After all of the replacement parts, new bellows a new handle was acquired at a leather shop, I decided to disassemble the camera completely and give it a complete re-do. I did some research and found a spray paint wrinkle paint replacement that only came in a black finish and could only be applied at over 70 degrees F and sure enough it wrinkled just like the original finish and looked brand new. I also had a schematic of the parts that helped as well.

I still have a can of the paint in the basement if it is of interest. Have fun as it is great to see how it all turns out.

Thank you, Michael. It would be great to see a photo or two of your black KMV.
I don't know if shipping spray paint by mail is ok, but if you can post the make of paint you used, I'm sure I can find it over here.
And please let me know if you have a parts schematic, would appreciate that very much, too.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
26-Nov-2012, 21:30
...Use an $1-2 A clamp to secure the rear standard...

This seems crazy. Why would you buy a camera that you have to secure with a clamp? Even my ancient 5x7 Korona--which was shoddy when it was new--didn't need a clamp once I fixed it up a bit. If there is something wrong with a camera which can't be fixed but with a clamp, my advice is to keep looking.

Daniel Stone
26-Nov-2012, 22:29
Hey Daniel,
Thanks for those tips. Did the wire brush help w/focusing smoothness?
My focusing feels like sandpaper, though it does lock down very well.
And yes, I have been making pictures, thanks. I will decide next week whether or not to buy the camera.

Ari,

I used a TOOTHBRUSH(a hard-bristled one), NOT a wire brush to clean out the tracks.

Yes, it seemed to smooth things up a bit, maybe the gears are digging a bit deeper into the tracks grooves. IDK, but it seems smoother.

This seems crazy. Why would you buy a camera that you have to secure with a clamp? ...

Jason,

EVERY(I'm on my 3rd, don't ask ;)) KMV I've owned has had this same "issue". The back standard has a bit(about 3-5mm) of a "wobble" frontwards, not a lot, but enough to be mentioned.

I'm guessing that it wasn't enough for Kodak of all companies(not today's Kodak, 1950's-1960's Kodak, a much different company) to change the design(or worry about, seeing that they made quite a few of them, but I'm guessing not in the same #'s as deardorff's).

Personally, it works for me, and I've recommended this method(a-clamp) to some other KMV users recently. They've started to implement it with their KMV's(of which show the same "issue"(if it can be called that?)) and have reported it to work well(although, not "ideal" from a design standpoint IMO)...

-Dan

Henry Ambrose
26-Nov-2012, 22:51
Daniel! Did you steal my clamp?
Yours looks just like the one I used.

The camera will work fine if you let it.
And the clamp is more for the peace of mind of the operator rather than a mandatory piece of equipment.
KMVs are super nice cameras, well deserving of the fine reputation they enjoy.
I miss mine.