PDA

View Full Version : Out of date film

hiend61
26-Nov-2012, 06:10
A friend gave me some out of date 13x18 film. This film was properly refrigerated till 2007, from that year, the film was in a cupboard in an empty house, in a cold climate except for summer.

Films are:
Kodak EPP out dated in 2003
Velvia out dated 1997 and 2002
Provia 100F out dated 2002 and 2009
Plus x out dated 1998 and 2001
Agafa APX 100 out dated 2004

What can I expect of this film?. Itīs worth a try?. Should I downrate ISO speed or color correct with cc filters?

Sevo
26-Nov-2012, 07:20
Going by my experience, both batches of Velvia might be a bit too nasty in colour for post-processing adjustments. Hard to tell about the 2002 Provia, but the 2009 Provia, while probably not up to nominal pro standards any more, should still be within spec compared to consumer slide films. In my experience EPP ages quite gracefully, so you might be lucky there. Mid sensitivity black and white film has little ageing issues - unless subjected to extraordinary heat (where in Spain was it stored?) it should be fine except for a little extra fog.

hiend61
27-Nov-2012, 05:24
Going by my experience, both batches of Velvia might be a bit too nasty in colour for post-processing adjustments. Hard to tell about the 2002 Provia, but the 2009 Provia, while probably not up to nominal pro standards any more, should still be within spec compared to consumer slide films. In my experience EPP ages quite gracefully, so you might be lucky there. Mid sensitivity black and white film has little ageing issues - unless subjected to extraordinary heat (where in Spain was it stored?) it should be fine except for a little extra fog.

Was stored in Segovia, in a village just in the North face of Guadarrama mountains at 1200meters over the sea level. Freezing winters and not too hot but short summers.

Andre Noble
27-Nov-2012, 13:51
For the B&W and color negative film - add a little extra exposure.

For the transparency film (aside from the 2009 - which should look like new) slightly underexpose from what you normally would expose.

The film will come out better than you think.

IanG
27-Nov-2012, 14:30
The film will come out better than you think.

It may also come out worse, it's pot luck especially with colour films. Thgat's from experience :D

Ian

hiend61
28-Nov-2012, 15:44
I have shot a box of 10 provia 100F. Iīll let you know.