PDA

View Full Version : Light Impressions foldlock sleeves

Tom Westbrook
30-Mar-2004, 04:53
I've used Light Impressions Mylar-D fold-lock sleeves for a few years for long-term negative storage in 120 & 4x5 sizes. Since Dupont has discontinued Mylar-D & LI has run out, I'm wondering if the polypropylene sleeves would work well enough. Can anyone tell me if the polypro sleeves are as clear as the old Mylar sleeves? I did get some of the new Mylar sleeves from LI a few weeks ago but returned them due to a defect (the flaps were glued shut) & I found them to be not as clear as the old Mylar-D sleeves were. I'm going to miss the old Mylar-D sleeves , since I really liked the bit of stiffness in that material that made it pretty easy to handle with gloves on. I'm guessing the polypro is a bit softer. Thanks.

Gem Singer
30-Mar-2004, 08:15
Hi Tom,

You're correct about polypropylene sleeves being softer, and more flexible than Mylar-D sleeves. However, the ones that I use are optically clear, archival, and seem to work very well. They are the Filmguard Proline sheet film sleeves that B&H handles. They are available with open, or sealed flap. Clear, or frosted finish and are much less expensive than the old Mylar sleeves.

Mark Sampson
30-Mar-2004, 13:30
per my source at the Library of Congress, polypropylene should be fine.

Bruce M. Herman
31-Mar-2004, 20:49
I've used the polypro fold-locks from LI for over 10 years. Once in awhile, they seem to have a bad run and the material has a lot of black specks within it. These specks are only visible under a loupe. This does not pose a problem for personal use as the specks do not seem to reach the exterior of the material where they would contact the film. However, if you are submitting tansparencies sleeved in these fold lock sleeves, the transparencies will appear to have dust on them. This is not a common problem: I've only returned one or two batches in 10 years.

The 4x5 polypro fold-lock sleeves do not fit well within any LI slide sheets. They do fit well within the PrintFile sheets 45-4HBPOL.

Best wishes, Bruce