PDA

View Full Version : Dallmeyer 2B info and looking for flange/waterhouse stops

David_5527
25-Nov-2012, 06:39
Hi.

I just picked up this Dallmeyer 2B-Dirt cheap. It came without a flange but with some type of lens hood with what looks like waterhouse stops in it, which may have been from another lens or something, as it was mounted on the lens hood of the Dallmeyer...I'm wondering what the focal length would be and if I can use on my 14x17 if I take off the front element...

Glass is very clean...Is it possible to make a flange "home-made" or have one made? unless someone may have one for sale--And also needs waterhouse stops. I'm wondering what that other lense piece is, too...here are a couple pics. It's serial number is 31794.

Steven Tribe
25-Nov-2012, 08:50
We are wondering what the extra "washer" stops item is too!
2Bs were made without the soft adjustment - are there marks at 90 degrees on the rear cell face?
The front achromat, as a cell, can be used for 14x17" - perhaps with the attachment. The rear cell is traditionally not used. The brass barrel can't be used for this as it is too deep. Darlot etc. had built-in separate use, but by the time this Dallmeyer was made, this alternative use had been not planned for.

David_5527
25-Nov-2012, 09:01
We are wondering what the extra "washer" stops item is too!
2Bs were made without the soft adjustment - are there marks at 90 degrees on the rear cell face?
The front achromat, as a cell, can be used for 14x17" - perhaps with the attachment. The rear cell is traditionally not used. The brass barrel can't be used for this as it is too deep. Darlot etc. had built-in separate use, but by the time this Dallmeyer was made, this alternative use had been not planned for.

There are notches on the rear cell 45 degrees apart: 1 notch, 2 notches, 3 notches, 4 notches and a marker on the next cell...so, one turns the rear cell so the marker goes to each notch for soft focus or something? thanks.

Steven Tribe
25-Nov-2012, 09:12
Yes, this the standard, early design, 2B PATENT soft focus quick acting portrait lens made for Carte de Visite size.
There is another 2B - not marked patent - which is identical, apart from the adjustment.
If you go to "Soft lens sales" thread, there is a reference in the very first posting to CCHarrison's website with lot of lovely illustrations and data!

David_5527
25-Nov-2012, 09:29
Thanks for the info. I wonder if there is a good source for the missing flange, or maybe I can rig something or get one made...

Steven Tribe
25-Nov-2012, 12:10
I made a flange for a 3B using cut brass and softish solder "blobs" into which a thread was cut by the existing male thread.
It is in a short thread (text!) which I will try and find for you.

Title is - Rescuing a Dallmeyer 3B .

goamules
25-Nov-2012, 14:05
The nice thing about Dallmeyer flanges is that they are standardized, if you find one for one of several lenses they made with that diameter, it should fit. The bad thing is any flange is hard to find in the diameter you need, usually. I would consider cutting a snug hole, seating the lens, then use a rubber hose clamp in the back to gently hold it against the fillet in front of the threads. This works well.

franeq
3-Aug-2014, 08:08
Did you resolve your problem?

I`m lloking guy who has Dallmeyer 2B lens hood. Could you give me accurate dimensions?

I have waterhouse with mark "I 1/3,16" I could mesure it for you.

Steven Tribe
3-Aug-2014, 08:29
In the Dallmeyer achive site, there are 3 full Dallmeyer Catalogues from the 19th century.
One of these has the full list of stops used by Dallmeyer for his Petzvals.

So a Waterhouse stop with 1/3.16 is not the first stop, which has F3.16 - but is Dallmeyer scale 1 speed = F3.16!
If you look down the table, it will give you various F values which were used in Dallmeyer Petzvals (at this period of time, note).

Franeq's non-patent 2B is another example of a cut-off barrel, where the flange section is soldered to the barrel. I had a 3B similar. In his case, it is the Waterhouse stamping which provides the clue to maker and model: