PDA

View Full Version : Cheap anti-slip spacer for Copal #3

Bill, 70's military B&W
20-Nov-2012, 19:28
I posted this hidden in a thread but it works so well I wanted to give it it's own thread.

Was having trouble with mounting a Copal #3 on a Linhof Tech lens board.
The shutter was too close to the lens board so I could not mount it to the camera. Also I could not get it tight enough to prevent slippage of the shutter in the lens board.
Went to the hardware store and found a "Tub Drain Gasket", this is a cheap, flat, hard black rubber gasket, dimensions are:
OD 3" ID 1 7/8" Thickness 1/8"
I had to enlarge the inside diameter about 1/4", I used the locking ring as a templet and cut with a utility knife. It worked flawlessly, and looks like it is part of the lens. No slippage either.

Just had to pass this along. Hope it helps someone.

Paul Ewins
20-Nov-2012, 22:25
Thanks for that Bill. I have used O rings for smaller shutters but hadn't found anything quite right for a Copal 3. Hopefully Australia's plumbing supplies have similar dimensions to US ones (no guarantee since we have been metric for around forty years).

C. D. Keth
20-Nov-2012, 22:54
You can also use flat rubber matting and cut it to size with a razor knife.

Bill, 70's military B&W
21-Nov-2012, 16:18
Paul, it will work perfectly, you will just have to make your cut to enlarge the inside diameter in the opposite direction :)
Bill

Bill, 70's military B&W
25-Nov-2012, 21:45
I shot with both lenses that I used that tub drain gasket to mount the Copal #3, had both out this weekend and there was no slippage at all, working great!
Bill