PDA

View Full Version : Tri-x

david clark
28-Mar-2004, 09:40
I recently tried out some 2 1/4 TX400, and I ruined it trying to spool it on to a reel. I screwed up two rolls. Then the other day I heard someone in the Art Department here saying that they had had the same problem. Is this due to an ultra thin film base, or is there some technic for handling this I don't know about?

Ralph Barker
28-Mar-2004, 09:58
I've found thin-based films to be more problematic when loading - especially if the film was exposed in a roll film back on a 4x5 (just to keep this on-topic ;-) ). Just take it slow and easy, making sure that the retainer clip is tight, first of all, and that the first stub of film is centered properly once it is under the clip.

I hold the reel in my left hand, with my thumb and middle finger extending into the center of the reel a bit. That way, I can feel the centering of the film under the clip, and use my index finger to lightly check for kinks and such as the film is loaded. The thumb and index fingers of my right, film-holding hand run along the outside of the reel, assuring consistent cupping of the film as it loads. That also aids in keeping the film square to the reel when loading.

You might also check the reels to make sure they are perfectly square. If they have been dropped, for example, there may be a slight variation in square or distance between the coils. While that may not be a problem with thicker-based films, it will cause loading problems with thinner-based film.

David R Munson
28-Mar-2004, 15:47
If all else fails, you might try one of the Kinderman reels with the loader. I always felt sort of silly using the loader, but with certain films it seems to be the most reliable way to load them.