PDA

View Full Version : CAP Workshop on Choosing Lenses for LF and Alternative Process

Mike in NY
18-Nov-2012, 09:19
On Nov. 17 I attended a really informative and engaging workshop at the Center for Alternative Photography in New York City, on choosing lenses for large format and alternative processes. The workshop was a day-long event, with a lot of hands-on experience, Q&A, and presentations. Numerous lenses were available to hold, view, and discuss. Hand ground lenses from the 19th century included Chevalier Verre Combine, Petzval portraits, meniscus landscapes, Harrison Globe, and Rapid Rectilinears. Some of the 20th century, soft focus lenses included Wollensak Verito, Pinkham and Smith Series, Struss Pictorial, Graf Variable, and the Nicola Perscheid. Modern, sharp focus examples included Schneider Symmar-S, Super Angulon, and Tele-Xenars. Numerous photographs were on hand to see examples of what these lenses can produce. Participants were invited to bring in some of their own lenses for discussion, so I brought in a couple of my 19th Century Ross lenses, and learned more about one of them in particular. The last couple of hours were devoted to taking portraits of workshop participants with Graflex cameras with modified Polaroid backs, using Fuji film and some of the lenses that were discussed. I don't do much portrait photography, but I was really impressed by the quality of these instant photographs, and now I understand why the Petzval lenses are so desirable. More importantly, I came away with a better understanding of the timeline of lens evolution, and how each major development was designed to address various problems with preceding lenses, including the how and why of lens elements, groups, and construction. This was my first workshop and introduction to the Center, having just learned about it on this Forum after searching for workshop opportunities in NYC. If you're looking for workshop opportunities in the northeast, you can check out the center's website at http://capworkshops.org. I've already signed up for a Collodion process workshop next month.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
18-Nov-2012, 10:27
Geoff and Eric at CAP have an incredible collection of lenses. It is worth attending this workshop just to see the lens cabinets, and if he lets you down there, to check out the huge piles of ancient lenses and cameras in Geoff's basement lair.