PDA

View Full Version : Black lacquer for lens barrels

Barry Kirsten
18-Nov-2012, 01:59
Wondering what sort of black lacquer should be used for the inside of old brass lens barrels/lens hoods/edges of lens cells etc. Among commonly available paints are many 'matte' types which, in my experience, have a degree of gloss which I think is too reflective for the inside of a lens. Alternatives that I know of are the graphic arts type of poster color paints which have a chalky surface, probably don't adhere well to metal and hence are not durable. Does anyone know what is preferred for this use?

Thanks, Barry.

IanG
18-Nov-2012, 02:57
I've found a very good matt black acrylic paint which I use for lens boards, re-blackening the inside of old bellows etc, I either just use a brush or dilute and then use an air-brush. It took me about three years of trying diferent makes to find this one in Turkey, the brand is only sold there unfortunately. However I've recently been sent an MSDS sheet and it's actually made by Jotun in the UK so I'm going to see if they supply it to anyone here.

The other matt black paint I use is an auto paint - own brand from a UK motor parts store, this is in an aerosol can. Again it's been trial and error finding one that I prefer.

Ian

Barry Kirsten
18-Nov-2012, 12:01
Just as I thought; not easy to find the right stuff. Thanks Ian.

Gem Singer
18-Nov-2012, 12:47
Krylon makes a black camouflage acrylic paint in a spray can.

Flattest paint I've ever used.

Look for it at Walmart.

Steven Tribe
18-Nov-2012, 13:10
If the barrel is completely bare, you can use the old permanent method of using nitric acid and then heating until the internal deposit becomes black.
I enclose the old recipe (from 1900) if you are brave?

This is not suitable for lens edges!

Sevo
18-Nov-2012, 13:17
The flattest deep black I have found so far is a black felt flocking (looks like black felt shavings) which is to be loosely applied onto a adhesive (epoxy resin or butyl cement) coat - I got that bag from a amateur astronomer friend, so that type of deep black flocking probably will be be available from hobby astronomy or DIY telescope suppliers.

BrianShaw
18-Nov-2012, 13:34
The flattest I've ever experience is (was) Kodak flat black brushing laquer. Somewhere I still have a bottle; it must be 30 years old by now.

cowanw
18-Nov-2012, 13:40
Inside of barrels can be held over a Kerosene lantern and a true flat black will deposit. don't touch it

IanG
18-Nov-2012, 14:33
I'm about to re-paint a shutter casing and this throws up an issue not yet raised. Some paints are incompatible and using a cellulose based paint (aerosol) may well cuase issues where an oil based paint was used originally. So this will need some thought and testing, I'm going to have to use a primer anyway.

Ian

Barry Kirsten
19-Nov-2012, 01:18
Thanks to all. The process for lens blacking is fascinating, but not for the faint hearted! I think the old Kodak lacquer would be the shot, if it were now made.
I found a link for telescope flocking from a related post; looks interesting for large lens barrels: http://www.protostar.biz/hitack.htm

Barry

E. von Hoegh
19-Nov-2012, 07:44
Wondering what sort of black lacquer should be used for the inside of old brass lens barrels/lens hoods/edges of lens cells etc. Among commonly available paints are many 'matte' types which, in my experience, have a degree of gloss which I think is too reflective for the inside of a lens. Alternatives that I know of are the graphic arts type of poster color paints which have a chalky surface, probably don't adhere well to metal and hence are not durable. Does anyone know what is preferred for this use?

Thanks, Barry.

I've used RustOleum flat black (alkyd oil based) diluted and applied with an airbrush. "Black Lacquer" is a very glossy paint.

BrianShaw
19-Nov-2012, 07:54
"Black Lacquer" is a very glossy paint.

Unless it is (was) the Kodak flat black brushing laquer... which was VERY flat.

Too bad the OP is downunder, otherwise I'd let him dip his paintbrush in my bottle.

E. von Hoegh
19-Nov-2012, 08:00
Unless it is (was) the Kodak flat black brushing laquer... which was VERY flat.

Too bad the OP is downunder, otherwise I'd let him dip his paintbrush in my bottle.

Yes, I wish I could find an equivalent of that paint.

But, typically, lacquer is a gloss product. Henry applied it to the Model Ts with something resembling a garden hose, allowing the excess to run off into a recovery system.

wombat2go
19-Nov-2012, 08:48
Hi, Barry
I have been using the Krylon Camouflage Ultra Flat "Non Reflective Nature Color" to spray the inside of aluminum 35 mm lens adaptors that I make.
It works OK but does have a slight sheen at low angles.
I just purchased a sheet of the Protostar self adhesive flocking and used some on the back of a lens board.
That flocking is blacker, less reflective than the Krylon , easy to cut with a scalpel and apply, but it does attract dust particles.

Barry Kirsten
19-Nov-2012, 12:46
Brian, thanks for the thought. I suggest you hang onto your Kodak paint though, it may be the last bottle in captivity.

Thanks wombat2go. It sounds like the Krylon that you and Gem mention is possibly the flattest black around. Impossible to get in this darn country. I'll keep looking. Regarding the flocking, how do you think it will wear long-term on the back of a lensboard, particularly, where it is pushed into the bottom clamp?

Barry.

BrianShaw
19-Nov-2012, 12:51
Regarding the flocking, how do you think it will wear long-term on the back of a lensboard, particularly, where it is pushed into the bottom clamp?

It shouldn't matter... that part is "out of sight; out of mind". If I was applying such material to the back of a lensboard I simply wouldn't put it in that lcoation.

IanG
19-Nov-2012, 14:19
I've just checked a few items where I've used natt black paints over the past year or so. I finished restoring my Luc type shutter (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?97008-Refurbishing-a-Luc-shutter) earlier today and used gloss black auto paint followed by a light coat of matt black (both aerosol cans), the finish is excellent. I'd used the same matt black paint on the inside of the lens barrel of a Petzval (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?93322-help-identify-first-Petztval&highlight=flea+market) I restored a few weeks ago. In addition I'm always restoring Thornton Pickard shutters and they need the interiors paining matt black and I use a matt acrylic (water based) paint for these.

Comparing both types of paint to the interior of a handful of Brass lenses both modern paints are significantly blacker and slightly less reflective. I used to use a photo black possibly Kodak back in the197-0''s and the acrylic paint I'm using now is slightly better, it also paints on quite smoothly and can be rubbed down, I use it on lens boards etc.

There's no one perfect black paint for restorations and I think I use at least 5 or 6 different types and I know I'm going to add another.

Ian

patrickjames
19-Nov-2012, 18:59
If you have the space for it there is nothing darker than the telescope flocking mentioned above. You should have space for it inside a barrel lens. You wouldn't need to flock from glass to glass either. If you flocked most of the way it would do the trick. Looking at a sheet of it is like looking at a black hole. I am not kidding!

Barry Kirsten
20-Nov-2012, 02:13
Thanks Patrick. I think flocking has a lot going for it, both inside a lens barrel and on the back of a lens board, where it could provide additional light sealing. The Protostar material is only $12 for a 20"x28" sheet, so worth trying.

Barry.

patrickjames
20-Nov-2012, 07:11
Thanks Patrick. I think flocking has a lot going for it, both inside a lens barrel and on the back of a lens board, where it could provide additional light sealing. The Protostar material is only $12 for a 20"x28" sheet, so worth trying.

Barry.

That is the flocking I use. I think they have a minimun order FYI. On the upside it goes a long way. I have what is probably a lifetime supply.