PDA

View Full Version : Cambo Master in the field

jars121
17-Nov-2012, 23:22
G'day everyone,

I'm very curious about large format. I've recently got quite involved with a Fuji GX680III outfit, having used a Fuji G617 for the past 2.5 years. I stumbled across this (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAMBO-PROFESSIONAL-LARGE-FORMAT-4x5-CAMERA-BODY-ROAD-CASE-6-X-LISCO-REGAL-II?item=261127847379&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3540583989748273539#ht_5662wt_1145) auction for a Cambo Master setup, which seems to be quite a good piece of kit.

I love shooting in nature, and would like a large format kit primarily for landscapes. Does this rule out the option of buying a monorail setup? Bear in mind I've travelled extensively with the 617 and plan on doing the same with the GX680, so I don't really mind lugging around heavy gear.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure I'll think of further questions, which will be added to the thread later on.

Alan Gales
17-Nov-2012, 23:47
This auction is not over yet. Expect the price to climb.

Cambo Masters are really nice cameras. I love the way they fit in those little cases. For the price they sell for you can buy an equally nice Sinar P which I would rather have and do indeed own both. I just have not got around to selling the Cambo yet.

Both of these cameras are heavy, geared monorails and designed for the studio. I wouldn't recommend either for the field unless it's in your backyard. If you want a monorail for landscape I would look at the Sinar Norma or Sinar F2.

jars121
17-Nov-2012, 23:49
Thanks for the reply Alan, that's exactly what I wanted/needed to hear. I'm a big fan of the Sinar F series from what I've seen/read, so I might look into the F2. Having said that, I might skip that step entirely and go straight to 4x5 or 5x7 field cameras. Cheers!

Alan Gales
18-Nov-2012, 00:30
If you decide to skip monorails and buy a field camera then let your lens choice decide on what camera you buy.

For example, I own a Tachihara 4x5. I can use a 90mm on a flat lens board. I can use a 75mm on a flat board with limited movements or increased movements with a recessed board. I can use a 65mm with limited movements on a recessed board. All this without a bag bellows. Some cameras you need to use a bag bellows even with a 90mm lens.

The longest lens I can use is a 300mm which is fine for landscapes but I can't focus it close enough for portraits on my camera.

Decide on which lenses you wish to use and then do your research on cameras.

Former Member 27732
18-Nov-2012, 02:40
Thanks for the reply Alan, that's exactly what I wanted/needed to hear. I'm a big fan of the Sinar F series from what I've seen/read, so I might look into the F2. Having said that, I might skip that step entirely and go straight to 4x5 or 5x7 field cameras. Cheers!

It's a dilemma. The monorails are a great starter in 4x5, but if you're serious about getting out and travelling light, stick with a field camera. Your back will thank you!

jars121
18-Nov-2012, 03:31
Thanks again to both of you. I must say that my desire to go 'big' is inspired by Clyde Butcher, my all-time favourite landscape photographer. I'd like to shoot really wide, so I guess I'd be looking at the recessed 65mm option, although anything up to around the 90mm mark would be fine. I'm a ways off from buying into a system just yet, but I might keep my eye out for some nice wide lenses in the meantime. Thanks guys!

Alan Gales
18-Nov-2012, 11:12
I was trying to show you the limitations on my Tachihara. It is best suited for lenses from 90mm to 210mm or maybe 240mm. It does not support a bag bellows. There are other cameras out there that are better suited for wide angles and can use lenses wider than 65mm.

If you love wide and ultra wide angles and need movements, you would probably want a camera that supports a bag bellows.

There is no perfect field camera for everyone. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.