PDA

View Full Version : 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 color film?

Doug Wargo
27-Mar-2004, 13:20
Wanting to get into larger format photography and not doing my homework, I rather foolishly (I think) purchased a 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 Busch Pressman. It appears to be in decent condition and I got it rather cheaply. Problem is that I have been able to find NO color sheet film at all for it, neither negative or slide. Does anyone make it? If not, what kind of roll film back should I start looking for? Thanks.

Bill Jefferson
27-Mar-2004, 15:58
Doug, I made my own film buy cutting down 4x5 sheet film.

Ernest Purdum
27-Mar-2004, 16:23
Some people have cut film down to size. This requires making some sort of a cutting guide.

The best answer I know of is rather elaborate, I'm afraid. I've had two cameras, one Busch and one Burke & James,
which had been modified to accept roll film holders. This was done by removing the ground glass and adding two sliding locks like those of a Graflok back. (The ones on the B&J appeared to be actual Graflok parts. I don't know the source of the ones on the Busch.) This required cutting down the back to achieve a correct fit. Once done, however, any accessory that would fit on a Graflok back could be used.

This leaves a problem. Now you need to replace the groundglass. Maybe the original groundglass frame could be modified to be held by the sliding locks. If not, a film pack adapter can hold a groundglass. The glass needs to be shimmed back by the thickness of the metal frame of a film pack.

I hope something works out for you. The Busch is a nice small camera and has useful movements, though it requires a lens with a larger image circle than those usually fitted in order to use the movements.

jnantz
27-Mar-2004, 17:21
here is some info - posted on photo.net a back in 2000

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000u6Q

fuji used to make color 2x3 film and b&h used to stock it. i know places like photowarehouse, and j&c carry black and white in the size you need. at least if you don't want to deal with cutting film yourself, you could always shoot b&w film :)

good luck!

-john

tim o'brien
29-Mar-2004, 18:07
I have not found any color film for 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. The only films available are Efke 100, Classic 200, and HP5Plus. That gives a full range of B&W emulsions. Even if you did cut down your favorite 4x5 color films, finding someone to process them might be a challenge. Of course, there is the Do-it-yerself routine.

I have 120 film backs for my Crown and speed which allows me to shoot the occasional color roll but mostly I pretend I am an oldtime news photographer and shoot my mono emulsions.

tim in san jose

Dan Fromm
3-Apr-2004, 07:42
Pardon the late response, I've been away.

As mentioned, getting 2x3 color film isn't easy.

But and however, your Pressman will accept a 2x3 size Adapt-A-Roll 620, a roll holder that slips in like a cut film holder. It will feed film from a 120 spool, but must take up on a 620 spool. No big deal. So you can use any emulsion that's available in 120.

I drafted the text about 'em on www.graflex.org, don't want to type it again. Go there to learn more.

Cheers,

Dan