PDA

View Full Version : Curious about value

Scott Knowles
16-Nov-2012, 11:09
Due to a variety of circumstances I might have to sell three lenses, but I'm curious about what folks think are the value of the lenses. All three are in like new condition and haven't been used since purchased they don't fit the camera I have and I can't afford one which does fit the lenses. The lenses are:

Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f5.6
Schneider APO-Symmar 180mm f5.6
Schneider Symmar-S 300mm f5.6

As things have happened these recent years, the choice is paying bills or waiting for a camera that may not come for a few years. I'm curious what folks think since resale and auction Website have varying prices.

lenser
16-Nov-2012, 11:22
Scott,

I curious about your statement that they don't fit your current camera. If you have almost any kind of 4x5 camera it should simply be a matter of getting lens boards which are usually the least costly part of a camera system. Any decent machinist can cut the holes for your lenses to fit if they are too small to begin with.

As to value, the way I usually judge a ball park value is to go to KEH.com, go to the large format section and then lenses. There is one trick to their site. When the first page opens on any category, look a the top and see the quantity menu and click on 'all'. Otherwise you will only open a small portion and may miss what you are actually looking for. They may also have lensboards for your camera in another section of the large format home page.

You can also go on ebay and do an advanced search for each lens and click on completed items. The ones that came up in green have sold. Red did not sell.

BrianShaw
16-Nov-2012, 12:03
... the other trick is to only look at the price on items that actually sold.

rdenney
16-Nov-2012, 12:14
Due to a variety of circumstances I might have to sell three lenses, but I'm curious about what folks think are the value of the lenses. All three are in like new condition and haven't been used since purchased they don't fit the camera I have and I can't afford one which does fit the lenses.

Do you want to use the lenses? If so, sell the camera and get one that meets your needs.

Any cheap monorail would accept these lenses.

Rick "whose cameras were selected to accommodate desired lenses, not the reverse" Denney

IanG
16-Nov-2012, 13:45
As a potential buyer I'd hate to put a value on these lenses.

I know what I paid for a mint 90mm f5.6 Super angulon and it was right at the bottom end of what they generally sell for, less than £100 ($160) and it's in superb condition. This is a large lens but fits all my 5x4 cameras including a few I've sold. It would be a very small lens board/front standard for it not to fit, possible an MPP.

The other two lenses 180mm Symmars are less common so a touch more. same for a 300mm Symmar. It's a buyers market though and you might be lucky and sell for very good prices but I stay within tight limits. personally as there's plenty of lenses for sale and you only have to watch the sellers on this forum who will knock down their sales prices everey few days on items they've listed for sale.

Ironically if they'd sat back and waited they'd possible have got the original fair asking price. I listed a few items here and APUg and had no bites, then months later had messages/emails asking if still available and sold for my asking price.

Ian

Scott Knowles
16-Nov-2012, 19:03
I curious about your statement that they don't fit your current camera.

I have a Horseman HD. The lens board and bellows isn't big enough for these lenses. Yes, I could sell it and buy one (had deposit on a Layton L-45A which won't be made) but I like the Horseman with a camera that fits these lenses. And now I'm facing a number of significant bills which means no other camera for now. Right now I'm just curious about the value if I sell them. I use KEH as a standard for their value.

Jonathan Barlow
17-Nov-2012, 09:57
Prices based on recent, sold lenses on eBay:

Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f5.6 - $300-700 USD
Schneider APO-Symmar 180mm f5.6 - $240-350 USD
Schneider Symmar-S 300mm f5.6 - $375-500 USD

Oren Grad
17-Nov-2012, 20:44
I have a Horseman HD.

Scott, the 180 Apo-Symmar should be OK, if you want to use it. You have enough bellows, and the rear cell is small enough.