PDA

View Full Version : O. Winston Link on NYTimes Lens Blog

Richard Wasserman
16-Nov-2012, 08:52
http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/

Thought you might be interested

al olson
16-Nov-2012, 10:18
An interesting coincidence. I was just talking about his train images to other photographers in Durango last night, but I could not remember his name. I first saw the outdoor theater "Eastbound Hotshot" print at the Andrew Smith gallery (much nicer contrast than the crude image in the NY Times) in Santa Fe several years ago. It was listed at $80,000 at the time.

In these parts, Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge RR is a popular subject.

Dan Henderson
16-Nov-2012, 20:23
I feel fortunate to live 10 miles from the OWL museum so that I can visit often. In fact, I entered a picture in a contest co-sponsored by the museum, so for the next month I can factually claim to have one of my photographs on exhibit in the O. Winston. Link Museum.

Two23
23-Nov-2012, 20:21
I've been shooting trains at night using flash (either x7 WL x3200 or x5 Nikon SB-28) for about six years now. In the past I've used Nikon digital cameras, but starting last summer I've been using a Rolleiflex. I've shot a few trains using flash bulbs. I plan to shoot a few trains with 4x5 also, using HP5. Link was my main inspiration. Once a year I attend a meeting in Chicago where I sit by David Plowden, one of Link's assistants.

Kent in SD

Dan Henderson
26-Nov-2012, 18:11
I've been shooting trains at night using flash (either x7 WL x3200 or x5 Nikon SB-28) for about six years now. In the past I've used Nikon digital cameras, but starting last summer I've been using a Rolleiflex. I've shot a few trains using flash bulbs. I plan to shoot a few trains with 4x5 also, using HP5. Link was my main inspiration. Once a year I attend a meeting in Chicago where I sit by David Plowden, one of Link's assistants.

Kent in SD

I have had the honor of meeting David Plowdon twice. Once in a workshop in Grand Rapids Michigan he gave me a scathing, but well deserved, critique of some photos. Last winter I was able to attend a lecture and workshop with him at the OWL museum here in Roanoke, and thanked him for his critique, which was one of those "get better or find a different art form" moments for me.