PDA

View Full Version : Making B&W negative from Color negative

SpeedGraphicMan
13-Nov-2012, 14:26
Hello,

I am familiar with the process of making internegs.
I have often reproduced color positives into B&W negs.

I have several Color negs that I need to make a B&W negative from.
Anybody have any suggestions about the best way to go about this?

And please, traditional methods only, I am aware of drum scans and film recorders, but would prefer to do this in the darkroom!

ic-racer
13-Nov-2012, 14:39
I'd not call making a B&W negative from a color positive an "interneg." I'd just call it a "negative"
For your color negative problem you first make an "interneg" then use that to make the positive by contact printing or enlarging. So, I think you already know what to do :)

The easiest way is to just print the color negatives on B&W paper and see how they come out. Maybe that will be good enough.

SpeedGraphicMan
13-Nov-2012, 14:43
That sounds good, however my concern is the manner in which the B&W film will reproduce the reversed colors of the color neg.

Would it produce a good result?

ic-racer
13-Nov-2012, 14:50
That sounds good, however my concern is the manner in which the B&W film will reproduce the reversed colors of the color neg.

Would it produce a good result?

Most B&W panchomatic films would have similar sensitivities to the opposing colors. That is, most films should have similar sensitivities to both magenta and green.

You will have to weight "Tonality" vs "Sharpness." To get your proper tonality will involve the extra generation which may compromise resolution. I'd project the negative with a good lens onto 8x10 panchromatic negative film for the "interneg" and contact that back to 8x10 film. What I'd really do is to just print it on the multigrade paper I always have laying around and see how it turns out.

SpeedGraphicMan
13-Nov-2012, 14:55
Thanks!

I will probably be doing this on 4x5 film because I do not have an 8x10 enlarger :(

What films would work best? maybe an EFKE 25 pan film?

ic-racer
13-Nov-2012, 19:27
A slow film is probably good. I'm actually gearing up to reproduce a few color 35mm slides to 4x5 negatives so I can print them as B&W. I'm going to use 4x5 because of the expense of the wasted sheets I'll know I'll be getting while zeroing in on exposure. I was just going to use whatever 4x5 film I have lying around for use in my camera. My plan is to use my Horseman Film-Plane exposure meter under the enlarger to get the exposure in the ballpark. Then expose some test strips and process the film in the smallest 2800 Jobo daylight drum.