PDA

View Full Version : DIY Film Washer?

l2oBiN
13-Nov-2012, 07:42
Anyone have any ideas on the best design for washing single or multiple 4x5 and/or 8x10 sheets?

John Kasaian
13-Nov-2012, 07:54
The shower floor?

MIke Sherck
13-Nov-2012, 08:26
I built a washer for 18 sheets of 4x5 or 5x7 film out of a plastic storage box from Walmart and fishing line. I drilled holes in the sides of the case and strung one looooong piece of fishing line to make slots about an inch wide -- 18 slots, as it happened. Sealed the upper holes with rubbery caulk and left the bottom holes unsealed to let the water drain. Works great, hasn't scratched a negative in three years, cost about $10 in materials. I was going to make an 8x10 one but found a commercially made one at an estate auction for a few dollars so I just use that. I also have a nice 11x14 washer I got off my local Craigslist but I just use that for paper.

Mike

ROL
13-Nov-2012, 09:47
Not on building per se, but my cross-jet print washer doubles as my sheet film washer. I just rest the film on its clips between the plexi dividers. As Mike has suggested, you might consider acquiring a small print washer just for film, unless you're really looking for a project.

Ken Lee
13-Nov-2012, 10:45
See the eminently effective and affordable do-it-yourself Dishrack Film Washer (http://www.kennethleegallery.com/html/tech/index.php#SheetFilm)

Andrew Tymon
13-Nov-2012, 14:01
I use an old Yankee developing tank to wash my 4x5's- about all it's fit for.

Cletus
14-Nov-2012, 04:32
I made a 12-slot 4x5 film washer, loosely based on the Inglis Crossjet, out of 1/4" acrylic. I found a local acrylic shop here in Dallas and it cost me about $35 for the material and to have the shop cut all the pieces for me.

All I needed then was some acrylic solvent (glue) for about $6 and a little plumbing fitting to attach to my sink. It wasn't too difficult to 'design' the washer and make a bill of material for all the parts to give to the acrylic shop. All that was left for me was to glue it all together and voila! I now have a nice, reliable (in-sink) 4x5 washer for less than $50 that rivals the Inglis washer at ~$250.

bobwysiwyg
14-Nov-2012, 05:14
I made a 12-slot 4x5 film washer, loosely based on the Inglis Crossjet, out of 1/4" acrylic. I found a local acrylic shop here in Dallas and it cost me about $35 for the material and to have the shop cut all the pieces for me.

All I needed then was some acrylic solvent (glue) for about $6 and a little plumbing fitting to attach to my sink. It wasn't too difficult to 'design' the washer and make a bill of material for all the parts to give to the acrylic shop. All that was left for me was to glue it all together and voila! I now have a nice, reliable (in-sink) 4x5 washer for less than $50 that rivals the Inglis washer at ~$250.

Any chance you could post a pic?

mike rosenlof
17-Nov-2012, 21:44
I think I can picture what you've done here, but I'd love to see a photo! Either posted to this thread or E-mail to mike.rosenlof at that google E-mail thingy would be much appreciated. thanks!

I built a washer for 18 sheets of 4x5 or 5x7 film out of a plastic storage box from Walmart and fishing line. I drilled holes in the sides of the case and strung one looooong piece of fishing line to make slots about an inch wide -- 18 slots, as it happened. Sealed the upper holes with rubbery caulk and left the bottom holes unsealed to let the water drain. Works great, hasn't scratched a negative in three years, cost about $10 in materials. I was going to make an 8x10 one but found a commercially made one at an estate auction for a few dollars so I just use that. I also have a nice 11x14 washer I got off my local Craigslist but I just use that for paper.

Mike

Randy
27-Nov-2012, 04:21
Here is my film washing procedure, and I have been doing this for many years, for both sheet film (4X5, 5X7, 8X10) in trays and roll film in small tanks - fill the tray/tank with water and let the film soak for about an hour, dumping, rinsing, and refilling the tray/tank every 10-15 minutes (for sheet film, I shuffle the negs every time I refill the tray). No running water, no drain holes. I have yet to get any staining on my negs, and it saves on water.