PDA

View Full Version : Large Format in Seattle

IHS
11-Nov-2012, 14:19
So I am currently located in Phoenix, Az and I am thinking about potentially moving to Seattle. I think Seattle is a great city, and I was thinking of living more in the Tacoma area for any other LF photographers close by.

My main question is how do you go about photographing in the weather conditions that are present in the Washington/Mt. Rainier/Olympic NP area? I understand it rains a lot, and it is misty and so am correct in believing that photographing with a large format camera is very difficult if not impossible most of the time?

If this is all true what are the solutions? A massive trash bag over the camera with a hole fitted for the lens? I am looking for a solution because I would very much like to live and produce work in the region. I am a nature/landscape photographer so all my work is produced in the forest, outdoors.

Thank you for all your help.

-Ian

Nathan Potter
11-Nov-2012, 15:35
Rain and mist can be your friend for landscapes; it is currently mine along the Maine coast. The trash bag idea is excellent and I use it when I can't persuade my wife to hold an oversized umbrella. Dress in modest rain gear.

Fact is there is a lot of decent weather on both north coasts and I've found plenty of days without rain or mist in the northwest.

Nate Potter, Austin TX. and Corea Me.

stangvert
11-Nov-2012, 18:49
I live just East of Seattle. It is true that is rains alot and it gets dark around 5:00 in the winter time. But there are usually breaks in the weather and with a little bit of luck, we get a couple weekends a month to go out and shoot. The benefit of the poor weather is that the national parks aren't very busy and the waterfalls are raging. Also, there usually lots of snow in the moutains.

C. D. Keth
11-Nov-2012, 21:49
Here's a nice photo taken in Seattle. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/231564-REG/Delta_98705C_Gray_Card_4.html) ;)

Andrew O'Neill
11-Nov-2012, 22:01
That's actually a photo up here of Vancouver, Chris.

Brian C. Miller
11-Nov-2012, 22:38
If this is all true what are the solutions? A massive trash bag over the camera with a hole fitted for the lens?

Basically, yes. What you do is go and buy yourself a couple or three "dry bags" (example (http://www.rei.com/product/797326/granite-gear-drysack)) and cut them up, and stitch and glue (http://www.rei.com/product/603034/gear-aid-seam-grip-seam-sealer) them back into something that's a waterproof darkcloth for your camera. I made one years ago, and it's still OK. What you need on the front of the camera is something to keep the bag out of the way. Some cameras have a little frame for this, or you can make a little frame or put it on a lens shade. I've found that it's really good against drizzle-mist.

C. D. Keth
11-Nov-2012, 23:40
That's actually a photo up here of Vancouver, Chris.

I really just stole that joke. I went to school in Rochester, NY and the joke there was that Kodak came up with the standard 18% gray card by looking out the window.

Doug Herta
12-Nov-2012, 00:28
Ian - Use plastic bags, pull the gear out during a break in the rain, go out when it is really nice (like yesterday). Do a lot of shooting in the nicer months and spend some quality time in the darkroom in the depths of winter. Make a point of going out when there appears to be a break in the weather.

Brian Ellis
12-Nov-2012, 07:18
The weather conditions you mention sound good to me. I generally prefer "bad" weather for photography. I deal with moisture on the lens by keeping a skylight filter on the lens until I'm ready to trip the shutter. I carry an umbrella and keep the camera covered with a lens wrap or whatever else is available as much as possible but I don't worry too much about it, the camera's going to get wet to some extent in heavy fog or rain no matter what you do.

I only visited Seattle once when I lived in Oregon but I agree with you, it seemed like a great city and place to live.

IHS
12-Nov-2012, 19:48
Thanks for all the remarks. I am glad there are solutions out there, and that there have been adventurous people such as yourself willing to test them out. I am hoping to move there within a year and start producing work. I have been a few times and love everything about it.

Any suggestions on affordable places to live (renting a house?) I was thinking the Tacoma or Renton area? Good, bad?

Peter York
12-Nov-2012, 20:25
I live just East of Seattle. It is true that is rains alot and it gets dark around 5:00 in the winter time.

Ha! It never gets light! Pitch black > black > dark grey > grey > light grey on an exceptionally clear winter day > dark grey > black > pitch black.

That being said, if I weren't so affected by the lack of light, I'd move back to Seattle in a heartbeat. Amazing city! Rain gear will be your second skin, and while it rains a lot, its mostly drizzle and light rain (heavy rain bands seem to hit further south, and west on the Olympics). Winds are typically high only when a front is coming through, so you really only have to worry about keeping mist/drizzle off the camera and lens, as well as fogging/condensation on the ground glass.

adam satushek
12-Nov-2012, 20:28
I moved from Seattle to Colorado almost 2 years ago...and in terms of photography I really miss it. It doesn't rain in the northwest as much as everyone thinks, sure its overcast a lot, but I think that is perfect for photography, its like a huge softbox in the sky. I do shoot near a car, but never had issues with rain unless I was chasing ominous thunder storms in eastern washington. I am already sick of the 350 days or so of sunshine in CO. I rarely like blue skies and never like harsh shadows. Also, most of this summer in CO was like 90-100 F, which for me who lived in Bellingham then Seattle is far too hot for me to want to get under the dark cloth. Anyway, yeah Seattle is great, I've had to postpone more shots here due to weather than I ever did in the northwest, and sure its dark in the winter but that's what pho and strong ales are for. Also gives plenty of time for scanning, processing, and printing. I like Seattle and hope to move back someday.

John Berry
15-Nov-2012, 01:38
I second Adams comments. I came here from Kansas in 1969 and still love it here. Short winter days equal long days available in the summer.

Doug Herta
16-Nov-2012, 00:07
I moved from Seattle to Colorado almost 2 years ago...and in terms of photography I really miss it. It doesn't rain in the northwest as much as everyone thinks...

Adam! Shhh!

arca andy
20-Nov-2012, 02:42
Here's a nice photo taken in Seattle. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/231564-REG/Delta_98705C_Gray_Card_4.html) ;)

No it isn't...thats London for the last 3 days!

ross
20-Nov-2012, 09:12
Ian. Don't base your decision on November weather in Seattle. It's dreadful.
Enumclaw is just southeast of Seattle by Mt. Rainier.