PDA

View Full Version : can you use and LF lens as an enlarger lens

Frank_E
10-Nov-2012, 17:08
I am sure this question has been addressed before but a search on this board and on Google didn't really provide me with a satisfactory answer....

am interested in trying some 6x17 shooting and enlarging but my Omega ProLab is only good for 4x5 and it is my understanding that to enlarge 6x17 you should really use a 5x7 enlarger. Let me pause and ask is that a correct assumption or have others suceeded in enlarging 6x17 on an Omega 4x5 enlarger?

have become aware of a 5x7 Elwood that is locally available on Craigslist and plan to look at it tomorrow
frequently these enlargers come without an enlarging lens, which I expect will be the case
and having just done a search on Ebay there are not many 180 or 210 enlarger lenses available
those that are available are asking more than I want to spend

have done enough web research on the Elwood to know that the critical piece I should be looking for to make sure it is there
is the "graduated center weighted diffuser"

so my question is the following
I have several 210mm LF lenses which could probably be adapted to be used on the Elwood
I have read that enlarger and process lenses are "flat field" lenses therefore probably not idea for enlarging use
but process lenses seem to be frequently used as LF lenses, so why not in reverse

have others tried to use LF lenses as enlarger lenses and what are their experiences
thanks for your feedback

Michael E
10-Nov-2012, 17:22
In the early years, use of the same lens for taking and enlarging was encouraged, because some of the flaws (vignetting) would counter-balance. Taking lenses are designed for different magnifications than enlarging lenses, so image quality might suffer. Try it - if you like the results, keep the lens. If not, get an enlarging lens. If this Elwood enlarger is anything like mine, it is not much of a precision instrument, so maybe the lens is not your weakest link.

Michael

Bob Salomon
10-Nov-2012, 17:35
617 is 6.75" long. That will not fit in a 45 enlarger.

A camera lens is not optimized for magnifying like an enlarger lens is. An enlarger lens is not optimized for the range a taking lens is usually used for. For best performance the proper lens should be used. On the other hand a taking lens will make a print if there is no other choice.

Leigh
10-Nov-2012, 18:01
I've considered doing the same thing for a home-built 8x10 enlarger.

I think any of the process lenses (Apo-ronar etc) would work quite well
in this application, though they might be a bit slower than I would like.

- Leigh

Ari
10-Nov-2012, 18:22
I used to use a Fujinon 250 f6.7 as an enlarging lens on 5x7, and it worked great; it will easily cover 8x10 as well.
But as others point out, the best solution is to use an enlarging lens.

Also, make sure your Elwood has the heat-resistant glass.

Jim Jones
10-Nov-2012, 18:43
I've used a variety of lenses on an Elwood 5x7, even a dog of a lens from a copy machine (yuk!). Some camera lenses, such as the Ektar 203mm f/7.7, were designed for close-up as well as for distant photography and should be suitable for enlarging. So should many of the graphic arts lenses usually available online.

ic-racer
10-Nov-2012, 19:55
If you have a process 210mm lens you are set. Oh, yes ,you need the Elwood also.

Frank_E
11-Nov-2012, 13:47
thank you for all of your replies and the good information

well here is an update
just came back from looking at the enlarger (in Coquitlam BC)
being sold by the daughter of the chap who set up the darkroom
he and his wife are in their late 80's and have been moved to a senior's home
the house is being sold

apparently he was a police photographer with the RCMP many years ago
and got this equipment when they closed down their photo lab in the early 60's
the daughter told me he hasn't used the darkroom in over 20 years

although the enlarger was in good shape
it had been converted to 4x5
there was a 135 Wollensak enlarger lens on it (with a defective iris)
and the 3 sheets of heat resistant glass were with it, but no graduated glass diffusion plate
instead it had an evenly frosted diffusion plate
looking at the dimensions of the bulb, I suspect it is not the correct bulb
there were extra lens boards and negative holders

had told the daughter at the outset before we met that if I were to purchase it (asking $100)
that the correct enlarger lens and diffusion plate would need to be with it
so I reluctantly told her I would not be purchasing the Elwood

after some hesitation she informed that the new owners of the house take possession in two days
and that the enlarger would likely get "junked" anyways at that time
so if I wanted it for free I could take it, which I did

now where do I get the correct diffusion plate?

Bill_1856
11-Nov-2012, 13:56
can you use and LF lens as an enlarger lens?
Of course you can. It's been done since the 19th century.

ic-racer
11-Nov-2012, 18:22
now where do I get the correct diffusion plate?

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/0037Kq
I'd try it as it is and see. Check this thread above for more suggestions.
Also, you can expose a piece of negative under the enlarger and use that as a center filter (that is what I have done).

Jim Jones
11-Nov-2012, 20:22
'You can cut a thin sheet of glass to the size of the diffusion plate and grind it starting at the center with valve grinding compound or any other appropriate abrasive until illumination on the baseboard is even. This is best checked with the lens and aperture you will usually use, and at the preferred size of enlargement.

C. D. Keth
11-Nov-2012, 23:27
You can. In fact I saw a neat device at a flea market today. It's called a "graflarger." It's a light source with a diffuser and negative holder that fits in a graflock back of a press camera to use your press camera as an enlarger head. I guess you could make up some kind of stand for it or simply set the camera on a counter and tape the paper to the wall.

C. D. Keth
11-Nov-2012, 23:33
Here's a "graflarger":

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/graflarger.jpg

The box on the left is a power source (the light looks like a fluorescent so it needs a ballast), then there's the light source in the housing with a negative in a holder beside it.

Leigh
12-Nov-2012, 01:57
This was a popular product.

One of the claimed benefits was that by using the original taking lens for making the enlargement, the light fall-off toward the periphery would cancel, yielding a more even print. Sounds reasonable.

- Leigh

Frank_E
12-Nov-2012, 21:16
thanks for the feedback on solving the diffusion plate problem

Pfiltz
13-Nov-2012, 06:19
can you use and LF lens as an enlarger lens?
Of course you can. It's been done since the 19th century.

I may have to see if I can do this with my SG Lens. I'm waiting on a stronger lens for my Omega, but have a 135 in a SP sitting on the floor.