PDA

View Full Version : Photographers Formulary Experiences

EOTS
8-Nov-2012, 15:42
Hi,

I ordered 2x Pyrocat HD 500ml and a contact print frame from PF on October 27th.
Got an immediate receipt via email, credit card money was taken on October 29th,
but they have not sent any shipping info or responded to my email.

Is that usual behaviour because they're not so much into Email and stuff and tend to ship "silently"?

Greetings,
Martin

welly
8-Nov-2012, 15:54
I've used the Photo Formulary twice now without a problem at all. I haven't received emails saying they've shipped anything before and they've always been reasonably quick in responding to emails. Try sherry @ photoformulary.com if you don't have that email address. They've been very good though and the two products I've ordered have arrived really quickly to Australia.

EOTS
8-Nov-2012, 16:00
Good to know! Thank you Welly!

DanJones
8-Nov-2012, 16:03
I've bought a lot from them over the years...always had good luck...they can be a little slow on mailing.

Sylvester Graham
8-Nov-2012, 18:29
100g of Silver nitrate at photographers formulary: $299
100g of silver nitrate at Artcraft: $119

Someone explain this to me.

On the service side, I've had ok service at the formulary, but exceptional service at Artcraft.

vinny
8-Nov-2012, 19:46
They've lost my cc info on my last order but failed to call about it. Yesterday I took the wrapper off a box containing hypo clear and a bunch of powder fell out. Scared the shit out of me.
Other than that, never an issue with them.

lenser
8-Nov-2012, 20:09
Amilne,

What is Artcraft? It's new to me. Can you send a link, please?

Sylvester Graham
8-Nov-2012, 20:14
http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/products/

If youre looking for chems and not photo specific accessories like coating rods, etc, kiss the formulary goodbye. They aren't the only specialty supplier on the block anymore.

But seriously, someone explain to me how the formulary can charge 200% more for the same thing? Do they mine it themselves?

jeroldharter
8-Nov-2012, 20:19
No problems with PF. I have used them for years.

Regarding the silver nitrate: No point grousing about prices. If you have options you like, use them and promote them. That is the beauty of competition.

Sylvester Graham
8-Nov-2012, 20:33
I mean, This is not splitting hairs. That's a huge difference on a chem that is bread and butter in the alt photo biz. I actually asked Artcraft on the phone why the formulary charges so much. He said "I don't know, but it's why I get a lot of new business."

photobymike
8-Nov-2012, 20:33
100g of Silver nitrate at photographers formulary: $299
100g of silver nitrate at Artcraft: $119

Someone explain this to me.

On the service side, I've had ok service at the formulary, but exceptional service at Artcraft.

I can tell you from my experience that different suppliers always have different prices. Chemicals, film, and anything photographic; the prices vary widely. Sometimes its profit and other times its buying at the wrong time or from the wrong supplier. I know silver prices are tracking inflation now like gold.

side note: I know a photographer that buy silver coins in bulk and makes his own silver nitrate. More chemistry than photography ...

check out this youtube
http://youtu.be/d6hPgGV_qAg

Cletus
8-Nov-2012, 20:52
I'm too new to alt process to know what I'm talking about probably, but it's looking like with a little research and chemistry boning up, Artcraft could be a really economical alternative (pardon the pun please) for alternative process. B&S and Photographer's Formulary seem to be comprehensive suppliers for pt/pd and other processes, but it appears if you want to 'roll your own' so to speak, you could save upwards of 60% over their premixed and formulated kits for stuff. Any opinions? Sandy King have any comments on this?

Sylvester Graham
8-Nov-2012, 21:31
Traditional photography IS chemistry. I briefly looked into making my own AgNO3, but basically it would be a novelty. The cost of getting beakers, silver bullion and acid shipped isn't worth it. Nevermind a fume hood, apron, etc. Plus, I live in a densely populated area in an apt with roommates. I need to be safe and responsible and toxic fumes are neither.

I was, however, just refining a contaminated batch of silver nitrate today. I'm taking the metallic silver to the sketchiest pawnshop I can find ASAP.

And Cletus, yes, as with most things DIY will save money. I would suggest a triple beam and a other proper measurement devices, because the great thing about premixed chems is consistency. Which is important but hard to maintain at home.

Doug Herta
8-Nov-2012, 23:48
I've used Artcraft for over 8 years with no problems. Mix my own developers (Pyrocat-HD, D-76 equivalent, Dektol equivalent), fixer, toning baths, etc. The only prepared stuff I buy is for color processes. Buy in quantity to save on shipping and per unit cost. Get a small digital scale and coffee filters, dedicated hotplate, a couple Pyrex beakers, "The Darkroom Cookbook" and you're in business at pennies to the dollar.

vinny
9-Nov-2012, 05:23
I would use formulary more if their shipping prices weren't $$$. It makes more sense to order their products from b&h than from the manufacturer if they have it in stock.

CantikFotos
9-Nov-2012, 05:40
I used to order from PF when I was in Taiwan. Never had a problem........except for that time Taiwan customs decided to open a package of pyro and do a Miami Vice style taste test......:eek:

jnantz
9-Nov-2012, 05:53
i use the PF to get 6 gallons of ansco 130 / year.
i could get it from artcraft, no doublt, and have bought from him in the past, ...

once i mixed the ansco wrong, i called and spoke someone at the PF
and without hesitation, i was mailed a new kit no cost; nice folks.
the guy at artcraft is a nice guy, and does great customer service too, and has great prices
but he doesn't make glycin, until PF stops making glycin, i will keep buying 130 from them.

YMMV

mikebarger
9-Nov-2012, 06:15
Like buying any other items, you have to compare shipped prices. Like several others above, I buy chemicals from different vendors to get great the best pricing.

eddie
9-Nov-2012, 07:18
I've bought a lot from them over the years...always had good luck...they can be a little slow on mailing.

http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/products/

If youre looking for chems and not photo specific accessories like coating rods, etc, kiss the formulary goodbye. They aren't the only specialty supplier on the block anymore.

But seriously, someone explain to me how the formulary can charge 200% more for the same thing? Do they mine it themselves?

mike (artcarft) gets the best price around cause he buys it by the shipload.....:)

mike has the best chems around. NONE should be buying from anyone else.

as for PF.....i ordered once from them many many years ago....it took foreeeeeevvvvvveeeerrrrr to get anything. since then it has been artcraft all the way.

Drew Wiley
9-Nov-2012, 10:16
Their pricing is obviously related to how much you buy at a time, just like everyone else.
And certain commodities precious metals silver, gold, or plantium are obviousy going to be
affected by when they themselves purchased these chemicals. I've been dealing with them
for years and have a very high opinion of them.

ROL
9-Nov-2012, 10:32
FYI: PF has had in the past, year end specials with free shipping. One year I had 5 gals. of TF4 shipped to me – I remember the fifth being free. Quite convenient and cost effective for that year, even though I live 40 minutes from Freestyle. Someone always seems available to answer the phone and talk about the weather both in Condon and your location.

P.S. Drove right by their arguably improbable location last summer on my way from the Salmon River to Glacier NP. Does that count as a "Photographers Formulary Experience"?

Greg Y
9-Nov-2012, 19:50
Great folks. They've left stuff on their doorstep for me to pick up at 4:00am on a sunday.... Have a great darkroom w/ 8x10 enlargers you can use if you stay 2 nights at their bed & breakfast. They've made up T4 fixer for me while I waited.
Always have what I'm after. Sherry is always helpful whether in person or over the phone. It's a great place & great people. Living north of the border it is very convenient for me to drop by when heading south.

neil poulsen
10-Nov-2012, 01:00
I had a workshop at PF that went well. But, I find their prices a bit high. You can check out Bostick & Sullivan at www.bostick-sullivan.com. I've also use American Scientific in Portland, Or. for some chemistry and also glassware. I can drive over there and pick it up. They're more reasonable then other local scientific supply houses I've used in Portland.

Helcio J Tagliolatto
10-Nov-2012, 04:56
Great folks. They've left stuff on their doorstep for me to pick up at 4:00am on a sunday.... Have a great darkroom w/ 8x10 enlargers you can use if you stay 2 nights at their bed & breakfast. They've made up T4 fixer for me while I waited.
Always have what I'm after. Sherry is always helpful whether in person or over the phone. It's a great place & great people. Living north of the border it is very convenient for me to drop by when heading south.

Totally agree! I buy from them for over 15 years and Sherry has always sent to Brazil without issues or delays.

EOTS
16-Nov-2012, 09:14
To close thread regarding the original question:
In the meantime I got the tracking data from Sherry after I wrote a second mail and the package has arrived in good condition.

Best regards,

tenderobject
11-Jan-2013, 13:50
Hi, i'm curious. Do they sent out liquid or powder form internationally? I'm looking for some vendors online that can ship to middle east using dhl without a problem. Athough US vendors are on my last option.. I'm quite anxious though about ordering alt chems online especially i'm living here in iran. I hope i could be able to get alt chems so i could start printing again..

Totally agree! I buy from them for over 15 years and Sherry has always sent to Brazil without issues or delays.

Frank Pittel
11-Jan-2013, 18:38
mike (artcarft) gets the best price around cause he buys it by the shipload.....:)

mike has the best chems around. NONE should be buying from anyone else.

as for PF.....i ordered once from them many many years ago....it took foreeeeeevvvvvveeeerrrrr to get anything. since then it has been artcraft all the way.

There are chems that Mike doesn't carry though and when I buy a number of chems at a time I like to get them all from the same place at the same time. Cuts down on the hassle of ordering and getting the pkgs from multiple places.
While Mike is where I prefer to order chems from he doesn't sell Glycin that I use for both my film and print developer. The only supplier I've found in the US for photography grade Glycin in quantities that I would be interested in buying it in is the Formulary.

I've ordered a lot of chems and things from them over the years and can't think of a single problem that I've ever had with the quality of what I got from them or the service I received.

EOTS
11-Jan-2013, 18:55
Hi, i'm curious. Do they sent out liquid or powder form internationally?

I ordered the liquid form with glycol!
Not sure if powder can be ordered ...

Best regards,
Martin

patrickjames
11-Jan-2013, 20:01
I have thought about ordering from Artcraft before and just took a new look. No PPD, p-aminophenol, Glycin, TF-4 fixer, Dimezone......

I guess I will stick with PF. Artcraft looks like it is geared more toward the Alt-process market.

I have never had a problem with PF.

Frank Pittel
11-Jan-2013, 21:54
I have thought about ordering from Artcraft before and just took a new look. No PPD, p-aminophenol, Glycin, TF-4 fixer, Dimezone......

I guess I will stick with PF. Artcraft looks like it is geared more toward the Alt-process market.

I have never had a problem with PF.

I would call Mike and ask for PPD, p-aminophenol, etc. Not everything he has or can get is listed on his website.