PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Print ULF Color Prints?

RedSun
7-Nov-2012, 15:24
I know some people use Jobo and other rotary processor. The largest print Jobo can do is 20x24. How do you print anything larger than that?

Drew Wiley
7-Nov-2012, 16:40
ULF generally refers to the size of the camera and original film itself. Where do you expect to acquire color film that big? Otherwise you're simply referring to a big print, which can hypothetically be made as large as a billboard if you wish, esp if splicing is an option. Commercial labs often have roller-transport paper which will handle at least 60-inch wide
paper, though many of these have been retired and replaced with wide inkjet devices.
I have a basic drum processor which will handle up to 30x40 paper. These are hard to find,
but can be made if you have shop skills.

chy
8-Nov-2012, 15:42
I don't know what you have for a darkroom, but I used to make prints by mounting the paper on the wall and using a right angle attachment under the enlarger lens. That was way back in my college days. When I wanted to print, it had to be an all-nighter and I would lock myself in one of the class rooms. Developing was done in troughs that I built, rolling the paper in the chem.

Later, I worked at a lab and I was Mr. Murals. The smallest print I made was a 30x40. Things were much better in the lab's set-up. My darkroom was a large room. The enlarger was a Durst 8x10 running on tracks and the easel was a whole wall covered in sheet metal. Paper was held up with magnetic strips. Focusing was done via a switch on a long cable as the enlarger was f-a-r away. Processing was in a 60" wide processor.

I made colour prints and display transparencies (Duratrans), sometimes a b&w print and Kodaliths. B&W and liths were developed rolling them in troughs by hand.

RedSun
8-Nov-2012, 17:35
Your color lab seems very exciting. It may be hard now to get such wide color printing paper. It think a lot of folks have migrated to LF inkjet printers.

I used a Saunders 4550 XLG and an Omega D5XL. I can raise them higher on higher stands. I can also bring paper to a lower table.

Frank Petronio
8-Nov-2012, 17:46
I give them to Drew, the best printer in the world! ;-p