PDA

View Full Version : TMax 100 in D-76 (1:1)

Nature Photo
22-Mar-2004, 23:41
Does anyone know if T-Max 100 sheet film can be processed in D76 1:1?The Kodak info (http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f4016/f4016.jhtml) mentions 1:1 dilution for roll film and small tanks, but does not list 1:1 among the recommended developers with sheet film. BTW, I use a Combiplan tank (30 oz). Many thanks for your help.

lee\c
23-Mar-2004, 00:20
I don't see why you cannot use D76 1:1. Just make sure you have enough developer in the trays. Possibly one liter per...say 4 to 6 sheets. I would start with times that are about double the stock times that Kodak supplies.

Good luck,

leec

Ralph Barker
23-Mar-2004, 00:23
A search of the archives here turns up:

A few ideas on using Kodak T-Max Films Successfully by John Sexton (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/articles/sexton-tmax.html)

ramin
23-Mar-2004, 16:45
TMX 100 in D76 1:1 (in my case Ilford ID11 1:1) is a very bad match in my experience. I have had real hard times printing the resulting negatives. In fact Tmax 100 has always been a very difficult film to develop and I have even heard that Kodak X-TOL developer was primarily designed for this film. I have however had good results with TMX 100 4x5, 120 and 35mm in X-TOL dilution 1:3 although you don’t get a wide exposure latitude (not more than 5 stops) but that is typical of all 100 ASA films. Phil Davis the author of Beyond the Zone System claims to have invented a developer that brings out 17 stops out of this film, has any one had any experience with this?

Nevertheless D76 1:1 (or ID11 1:1) works fine with films like TMY (Tmax 400) or Ilford HP5 with excellent result and long exposure latitude.

Cheers

jonah
24-Mar-2004, 12:21
I used to use D-76 1:2 for processing TMX sheet film in trays. You just have to make sure you have enough chemistry in the tray so it is not exhausted. Also the film speed is much slower, I think mine was around 40 and the processing time is long (I think it was about 13 or 14 mins @ 68 for normal). You would have to do some testing to find out your speed and times. But I switched to T-Max RS several years ago, and I now use T-Max RS as described by John Sexton in the link provided by Ralph Barker above with very good results.

good luck!

Brian Ellis
26-Mar-2004, 17:12
I've been using D76 1-1 with T Max 100 for years, it's a nice combination. I haven't had any trouble printing the negatives. Of course I've tested for film speed and N, plus, and minus times and I'm very careful with the agitation, temperature, etc., keeping everything the same as when I made my tests.

For years photographers complained that modern films weren't as flexible as the old films, that changes in development times and/or agitation didn't produce sufficient changes in contrast. So Kodak gave them what they had been asking for with T Max, a very flexible film where small changes in agitation, temperature, etc. can make a big difference in contrast. So now photographers complain that T Max 100 is too sensitive to small changes in agitation, temperature, etc. Go figure.